Chicago area?

I drive by hyde park once a week. There's a couple of decent sized parks near lsd with nice views of the south loop. I'd like to fly around there and check it out. Primarily I'll be sticking to AMA rc fields. There's a ton of flying fields around Chicago. Check out an app in the play store called model airfields. It contains just about every rc field in the world.

Ahh, 2 in palatine. Will add you to my list. I also am a newbie. 1 small flight done. I would feel more comfortable in open area for first few flights. Will take her up tmrw. Look up Cary United Methodist church. ( in my back yard). Let me know what time you can be there. Btw, I only have one battery. We can charge locally. Tag alongside welcome.

What time you plan on going? I can try to make it out there before I head over to deer park shopping area. The park north of the church looks like a better area to fly. There's powerlines to the east you should avoid.

Let me know what time you will be there. I can meet anytime.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Change of plans for me. I'll be heading out to Deer Grove Forest Preserve area around 2. Looking on google maps there's a couple of parks in the area that'll be suitable as well if the park happens to be some what congested.

Deer Grove will be cool. I don't want all those trees for my first few flights. Maybe meet up later..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Got 5 flights in this weekend before the rain. @TWebb and I met up on Saturday to do some flying near Baker Lake in Barrington. Hope to get together with more of you guys and check out nice areas to fly.

Reactions: 847guy
Hello everyone! I'm considering getting my first real drone/quad copter But with all the regulations not sure. Any good places around Chicago area were I would be able to fly without having to drive 30 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

First and foremost before you attempt to fly in Chicago make sure your piloting skills are intermediate. If you don't have any experience flying a quad please start by practicing on a less expensive quad. This can help prevent a flyaway that injuries someone or property. Do your research and read the reviews before you buy. Start by flying around your house and at a small park. Once your confidence level and piloting skills are good you can pretty much fly at any Chicago Park District park within reason. Some parks are small and not the best for flying a quad or anything. The best places would be around Montrose beach, Northerly Island, and a forest preserve with a large opening. Take a look on google maps that'll come in handy when you scout areas to fly. If any authority stops you and says you cannot fly in the park district show them this video.

Drones may outnumber planes, but where can you fly them?

Thanks for the video. I've been flying a quad copter simular to the syma for a few months, but what to upgrade. I've read the FAA rules and understand them but was always Confused as to what the city of Chicago rules where on drones. I wasn't sure if parks inside Chicago were OK but not I'm clear on that. I was just hoping to find a good open space to practice some more in or right outside Chicago area. Thanks for the info, I'm considering Phantom standard.

Tread carefully my friend. I saved up to get the P3P and quickly realized I needed to spend more cash on accessories and a tablet which I've never owned until the phantom. You can get by with a large smart phone, but you'll want a device with a larger screen. On the plus side it's tax season. Just read dji has reduced their prices too.

Yeah always looking for good price deals. Best buy has the standard for $499 which I think is a good price. I have the iPad mini so I'm thinking that should be good to use for it.

Downloaded one of those fly check apps. I noticed I'm within 5 miles of hospitals with helicopter landing pads. I'm not sure if you are but have you called before to give them a heads up before flying if so have they giving you a hard time?

Haven't tried and probably won't ever call a tower for the fact that I live in the burbs now and there's plenty of forest preserve and lakes to flyover that isn't near a helipad or airport. Let us know how the call goes if you end up flying in their space. Remember you're telling them you will be flying and not asking for permission. If you live in the heart of the city you should be looking at notams for VIP movement. You don't want men in suits paying you a visit. Let me know if you want to come out to the burbs to fly. I know this great place that's wide open for over a mile. I flew my furthest there 6400+ ft at 384ft

I'm planning for Sunday with the wind being at the lowest according to my phone. However, I'll be prepared to go on Saturday as well if the wind drops below 10mph.

Reactions: 847guy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers