Cheapest drone to carry beer

Reaction score
I need a drone to carry beer (1 at a time) from a beach to a floating dock a couple hundred feet off the beach.

What is the cheapest drone that can accomplish this? Could a used Phantom 1 pull it off? I am new to drones so I dont know much about the payload. I did see a youtube video of someone using an AR drone but it wouldnt lift the beer.

Ill do bud light instead of bud heavy to make it easier on the thing.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
This is kind of like those Math word problems from 6th grade. I hated those.

Yes, a Phantom 1 could do the job.

I think it's do-able but difficult. I'm assuming you're not going to be spending on hardware for a First Person View.

Assuming you want to move beer cans at a sustainable rate from shore to ship with a bare bones Phantom 1. (You might want to splurge and spend $40 for 9450 propellers.)

assumptions
  • A can of beer weighs about 360 grams (1).
  • A Phantom 1 can lift 600 grams (2).
  • No FPV.
I'd do it like this.

1 - Floating dock is 200 feet away with the RC operator. Beer is on the shore where the P1 has Home Lock. Strap the beer to the Phantom with a velcro cargo strap
2 - The RC operator flies the aircraft to himself, lands and removes the beer.
3 - RC operator flies back to the launch point using Home Lock (or Return to Home.) You could probably do it free hand with good communications between operator and beer loader.

The Beer Loader is responsible for rotating batteries through the chargers and signaling when Home Lock is registered. Ready for take-off.

Rinse and repeat. (Well, not the rinse part.)

You're going to need lots of batteries and a few chargers (and a stopwatch.) I'd test it over dry land for more than a few repetitions to see how many runs I'd get with one battery.

-------
(1) http://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_can_of_beer_weigh
(2) Phantom lifts 600 grams

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: steveeds
This is kind of like those Math word problems from 6th grade. I hated those.

Yes, a Phantom 1 could do the job.

I think it's do-able but difficult. I'm assuming you're not going to be spending on hardware for a First Person View.

Assuming you want to move beer cans at a sustainable rate from shore to ship with a bare bones Phantom 1. (You might want to splurge and spend $40 for 9450 propellers.)

assumptions
  • A can of beer weighs about 360 grams (1).
  • A Phantom 1 can lift 600 grams (2).
  • No FPV.
I'd do it like this.

1 - Floating dock is 200 feet away with the RC operator. Beer is on the shore where the P1 has Home Lock. Strap the beer to the Phantom with a velcro cargo strap
2 - The RC operator flies the aircraft to himself, lands and removes the beer.
3 - RC operator flies back to the launch point using Home Lock (or Return to Home.) You could probably do it free hand with good communications between operator and beer loader.

The Beer Loader is responsible for rotating batteries through the chargers and signaling when Home Lock is registered. Ready for take-off.

Rinse and repeat. (Well, not the rinse part.)

You're going to need lots of batteries and a few chargers (and a stopwatch.) I'd test it over dry land for more than a few repetitions to see how many runs I'd get with one battery.

-------
(1) http://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_can_of_beer_weigh
(2) Phantom lifts 600 grams

This is incredible thank you for such a detailed response! You are correct I do not need FPV at all. I have a P3 I will probably use for any quality control video of the process.

I love the idea about using RTH. I didnt know the P1 has that. If im actually able to make this happen I will definitely post a video.

600 grams opens up so many possibilities...

I need a drone to carry beer (1 at a time) from a beach to a floating dock a couple hundred feet off the beach.

What is the cheapest drone that can accomplish this? Could a used Phantom 1 pull it off? I am new to drones so I dont know much about the payload. I did see a youtube video of someone using an AR drone but it wouldnt lift the beer.

Ill do bud light instead of bud heavy to make it easier on the thing.
I have no idea who you are or what you really want to achieve from this post. However, I really hope that you succeed in your valiant endeavors. Beer delivery has got to be the ultimate goal of drone technology

What about using a servo system to open the beer in mid air and tilt it and drop the contents directly on someones mouth? :p

Reactions: storrowdrive
The battery would be the only problem with the P1 .

Potato Canon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic