Cheap and easy floats

porl_hopkins said:
Any videos of this rig landing in water??
I hope not to land in water. The water I will be flying over is seriously big whitewater. The floats are there to keep the Phantom from sinking so that I might recover it. I may try landing and taking off from the pool just to see if it is possible.

porl_hopkins said:
Ah right I got you. But a vid landing on calm water would be good to see :D

I think seeing a phantom floating on water, with the motors armed, zipping around across the top of the water would be cool!!

But that's just me :)

This mod looks great. I like the fact that you can easily remove the 'floats'. Two questions though...

As someone else mentioned, have you noticed any adverse effects when flying with all four of the bottle on? Secondly, I assume that the bottles would show up in the gopro footage. Are they out of the way enough that you could crop the video and still make it useable?

Jebus said:
This mod looks great. I like the fact that you can easily remove the 'floats'. Two questions though...

As someone else mentioned, have you noticed any adverse effects when flying with all four of the bottle on? Secondly, I assume that the bottles would show up in the gopro footage. Are they out of the way enough that you could crop the video and still make it useable?
The bottles are very light but are affected by the wind a bit. They did show up in the GoPro video. I later switched to smaller diameter bottles and some 1" foam blocks between the landing skids. I also mounted the GoPro upside down in the underwater housing with an extra bracket to move it more forward. The bottles did not show at all with this rig. I was using 1080 with medium view.
quad%20with%20floats.jpg

syotr said:
Jebus said:

The bottles are very light but are affected by the wind a bit. They did show up in the GoPro video. I later switched to smaller diameter bottles and some 1" foam blocks between the landing skids. I also mounted the GoPro upside down in the underwater housing with an extra bracket to move it more forward. The bottles did not show at all with this rig. I was using 1080 with medium view.
quad%20with%20floats.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Do you think those small bottles would be enough to float it? Or I assume that's why you added the extra foam - just in case. I've been contemplating this mod, or just strapping some water bottles to the skids via zip ties, or my original plan was the pipe insulation/pool noodle. Just can't decide! haha

Jebus said:
Thanks for the pic. Do you think those small bottles would be enough to float it? Or I assume that's why you added the extra foam - just in case. I've been contemplating this mod, or just strapping some water bottles to the skids via zip ties, or my original plan was the pipe insulation/pool noodle. Just can't decide! haha

I did not test it with just the small bottles. My guess is they would not be quite enough. That's why I added the foam blocks.
I tried pool noodles on the skids and they do not work well. The problem is that if they are as short as the skid, the Phantom will tip over easily. If you make them longer, then they are sticking out into the prop wash and also subject to pushing around by wind. The small bottles are hidden under the motor are so they are not affected by prop wash. Same with the foam blocks. They are nested inside the width of the main body so the prop wash does not really hit them. They will be affected by wind coming from the side but not too badly.
I did sucessfully take off and land in the pool with the larger bottles attached under the motors. The farther away from the center you place the floats, and high up on the bird, the more stable it will be when floating. If it falls out of the sky without a controlled descent, it is just as likely to land "buttered side down." In this case the floats might save it from sinking.
I am often flying over very turbulent white water, so no float system is likely to keep it upright. For this reason I am building a completely waterproof quad that floats.

syotr said:
Jebus said:

I did not test it with just the small bottles. My guess is they would not be quite enough. That's why I added the foam blocks.
I tried pool noodles on the skids and they do not work well. The problem is that if they are as short as the skid, the Phantom will tip over easily. If you make them longer, then they are sticking out into the prop wash and also subject to pushing around by wind. The small bottles are hidden under the motor are so they are not affected by prop wash. Same with the foam blocks. They are nested inside the width of the main body so the prop wash does not really hit them. They will be affected by wind coming from the side but not too badly.
I did sucessfully take off and land in the pool with the larger bottles attached under the motors. The farther away from the center you place the floats, and high up on the bird, the more stable it will be when floating. If it falls out of the sky without a controlled descent, it is just as likely to land "buttered side down." In this case the floats might save it from sinking.
I am often flying over very turbulent white water, so no float system is likely to keep it upright. For this reason I am building a completely waterproof quad that floats.

Yeah... I'm not really concerned with it floating upright - as I'm pretty sure it'll land "buttered side down" (love that!). I'm more worried about just having it float so that I can recover it. And obviously flight characteristics and whether or not the floats would be in the gopro's view is a concern.

Total bottle capacity need to be 1500cc and above as PV2+ is 1284Gramms.

The smaller ones look to be about 300cc each to total displacement = 1200cc or will support circa 1200 gramms ---so not big enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj