Cheap and easy floats

Reaction score
I plan to shoot video of whitewater kayaking. I made some cheap and easy floats for the Phantom just in case it falls in the river. If that happens, I know it will likely get wet inside and do some damage but at least I might be able to recover it. The quad floats pretty level and stable with the bottles. In calm water, the battery and other electronics did not get wet. I temporarily moved the compass for testing and taped it to the top of the quad to keep it dry.
I made the floats from small 8 oz water bottles which are very light weight. I drilled holes in the caps to match two holes in each of arms where the motors mount. I used the longer screws which came with my prop guards and placed washers under each screw head to make sure the screws did not go too deep. The Phantom seems to fly OK with the bottles attached, although wind does affect it more. It is easy to unscrew the bottles when not flying over water and the caps can be left in place.
Phantom1.jpg

phantom2.jpg

phantom3.jpg

Moved it to be safe. After I reinstalled it, I could not get it calibrated. Had to take if off again and found some water drops sticking to the back side which were trapped in the hollow part of the landing strut. After I dried them off good and remounted, it calibrated OK.

Pretty **** clever man. I love fabbed up goodies with stuff lying around the garage. Well done.

justsomeguy said:
Yes, they work. I used taller bottles though.

Why do you have the compass taped up out of the water? It works fine when doused.

I either read in the destructions, or maybe it was on one of DJI's videos, the compass is most definitely NOT water resistant.

bumper

Excellent creativity!

How about smaller bottles next?

RedFishChaser said:
Excellent creativity!

These were more than enough to keep it from sinking, so I will be looking for some smaller ones, maybe same height but smaller diameter would be good.

What did it do the the flight characteristcs? Even though the bottles are nicely rounded and aerodynamic at the top
I know if you put things with sharp corners and flat planes in the prop wash you are asking for trouble.
So with that in mind it might help to position the bottle cap precisely in the middle and use bottles that provide a smooth airflow?

halfpipe said:
maybe fill the bottles with helium :lol:
helium has a lifting force of 1 gram per liter
Or hydrogen, even lighter. How could that go wrong :lol:

Did you try to take off while floating in the water? That would be neat to see!

justsomeguy said:
bumper said:
I either read in the destructions, or maybe it was on one of DJI's videos, the compass is most definitely NOT water resistant.

Regardless of what you think you read, based upon my first hand experiences the compass is not only water resistant, it is waterproof.

Having submerged my phantom twice, once in a river and once in the ocean I can tell you that with proper rinsing and drying it should work fine. Well, maybe not the ocean. My GPS is still shot, but everything else is good, including a naked gopro and gimbal. I had pool noodle floats on the skids in the river landing. Upside down is the default stable position! I would think the same for your bottles, but at least you get all your gear back.

Upside down is the default stable position! I would think the same for your bottles, but at least you get all your gear back.

Not sure there is a stable position where I will be shooting

default2.jpg

jimandsue60 said:
Did you try to take off while floating in the water? That would be neat to see!

Did not try that since I had the compass out of position.

Perhaps somehow try to mount compass in default correct position INSIDE the bottle!! That would be sweet. Take off and fly wherever and whenever at your leisure. Lol

Since you've got this far, you could probably figure out a way to cover the compass and still have it mounted inthe proper orientation. No shortage of inexpensive see-thru ready-made tubes I'd imagine...

Steve

syotr said:
RedFishChaser said:
Excellent creativity!

These were more than enough to keep it from sinking, so I will be looking for some smaller ones, maybe same height but smaller diameter would be good.

You might consider coating the compass with NeverWet. (See http://www.neverwet.com) sold under the Rustoleum brand at places like Home Depot. Once coated, it won't matter if the compass lands in river water, pool water or salt water, it simply won't get wet.

I can't imagine that the coating would add even a gram to your flying weight.

I haven't used NeverWet on any part of a Phantom, but I have used it on electronics (and motors and wood structures) in my other areas of interest, and I've been very happy with the results.

John.

jbrawn said:
You might consider coating the compass with NeverWet. (See http://www.neverwet.com) sold under the Rustoleum brand at places like Home Depot. Once coated, it won't matter if the compass lands in river water, pool water or salt water, it simply won't get wet.

I can't imagine that the coating would add even a gram to your flying weight.

I haven't used NeverWet on any part of a Phantom, but I have used it on electronics (and motors and wood structures) in my other areas of interest, and I've been very happy with the results.

John.
I have considered that but from their website: "Not intended to be applied to electronic devices"

netphreak said:
How does she fly with the compass moved? I haven't been able to ever get a good flight with it moved around.
I moved the compass only long enough to test the floataion. I did not fly with the compass moved.

Brilliant invention! I like the fact that you can remove the bottles so easily when you don't need them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4