Reaction score
When I learn to fly my drone (wehn that is) , I want to sue it to take images that can be sold for charities. The plan being that the images I take, once processed, will be given to the respective charity for sale. i will get no money or remuneration from it.
My research suggests that I would not then need tot ake the exam over here in the UK as I am not making any money from the venture. In view of the fact it may well take £1500, near $2000 to get said licence, I really cannot afford to do it. By the time all the other things like tax etc were paid, there would be little or nothing for charity.
So the question is: is my assumption correct, or do I give up the idea as I cannot afford the licence/

Many thanks

Mike

If the end result of your activities is someone paying money for the images, you would need to have your PFAW from the CAA....it's a commercial venture.

But if I transfer the copyright to the charity, what they do with it is no longer my concern. That is the point I am trying to make. I am just the photographer who gets paid nothing for doing the job. I make no money from it.
If the case is that at whatever point money is made from an image then clearly the project is not possible.

Mike

It doesn't matter whether you get paid or not...if the intent of your flight is to produce images which will wind up being sold, then you are engaged in a commercial activity.

One way to get complete clarity on this, would be for you to contact the CAA direct and get their opinion.

If you can not be seeing well enough to type well, should you be flying?
Two different types of glasses and thus vision. I can see the andromeda nebula but without the right glasses the size if the type on the screen is too small

I am going to contact the CAA as it seems to revolve around having a contract. If I produce random images and they use them there is not contract.
I will let you know the outcome

Mike

In the US it's about the "Intent of the Flight". It doesn't matter if you get paid.

In the UK the "might" see it differently but I doubt it.

In the U.K. the position seems to revolve around a contract which is in effect an "intention". My intention is always to fly and take what images I can for my own pleasure. Any that others might like I pass on.

Mike

If you take picture and pass on to charity for once, it's covered under hobby but if you continue to do it regularly then it's evaluated under a business as you don't belong to that charitable organization.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

When I learn to fly my drone (wehn that is) , I want to sue it to take images that can be sold for charities. The plan being that the images I take, once processed, will be given to the respective charity for sale. i will get no money or remuneration from it.
My research suggests that I would not then need tot ake the exam over here in the UK as I am not making any money from the venture. In view of the fact it may well take £1500, near $2000 to get said licence, I really cannot afford to do it. By the time all the other things like tax etc were paid, there would be little or nothing for charity.
So the question is: is my assumption correct, or do I give up the idea as I cannot afford the licence/

Many thanks

Mike

You need to look at this document:

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP 722 Sixth Edition March 2015.pdf
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP 722 Sixth Edition March 2015.pdf
You also need permission "for Aerial Work purposes or if flown within a congested area or close to people or property"

Also:

"Meaning of Aerial Work
3.8 ANO 2009 Article 259 'Meaning of Aerial Work' details that a flight is for the purpose of aerial work if valuable consideration is given or promised in respect of the flight or the purpose of the flight.
3.9 The article must be carefully consulted to determine if any flight will be considered as aerial work. An additional document 'Summary of the Meaning of Commercial Air Transport, Public Transport and Aerial Work' is also available on the CAA website7."

"3.1
Aerial work
(Article 259)
A flight is for the purpose of aerial work if payment is made in respect of the flight or the
purpose of the flight, unless the flight is in fact for the purpose of public transport (see
paragraph 3.2 below)"

Look here too:

Drones and the Law: Aerial work - what is valuable consideration?

Many thanks

Mike
If you were flying safely and within the law when you took the pictures, and give them to a charity, I say good. How could anyone prove whose drone the pictures came from?

CleethorpesKid, thank you. I did read the documents that you listed, and it does seem quite clear that what I would do, in offering occasional images I take to charities, would not need the licence . I should add that I would be happy to undertake the work necessary to gain the qualification, but the cost is well out of my reach. I understand some sources are quoting £1500 or more.
Banderboy, I am going to fly safely, and I intend to take as many precautions and controls as would a 'qualified' drone pilot. I have being doing all of the research, and looking at the requirements and all the associated information. Sadly, as I said above, to do the course is well beyond me now. If the costs could be brought down I am sure many more would be willing to sun ertakw the process.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic