Charging P3 remote using portable 12v power supply

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking it would be nice to have the option of charging / topping off the P3 remote using a portable charge bank. I realize the DJI charger is high voltage and 5.7 amps but I think that's not a requirement for the remote. If I were a betting man I'd say either a 6 or 12v DC charger should work provided it can put out at least 2amps. I have a RAV power portable battery that also has a 12V DC power mode. So if I want to charge something that requires 5 to 6v I can use the USB to DC plug, or I can use the 12V DC out port for appropriate items. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Can i ask why? The P3 remote has a 6000 mAh battery and will outlast the p3 quad batteries many many times over.

If I have a huge stack of P3 batteries and plan on running through them all the RC power will surely dwindle. Keeping the Radio control at a higher level or charge will insure optimal performance and radio control range.

If I have a huge stack of P3 batteries and plan on running through them all the RC power will surely dwindle. Keeping the Radio control at a higher level or charge will insure optimal performance and radio control range.

From my experience, (i have 4 batteries and an external battery pack i use to charge them) I have flown a full day (9 batteries worth or so) using the iphone / ipad (which wont charge over the usb port admittedly) and my ipad died before the remote did.

However in regards to your original question Its a 6000 mAh 2S battery inside the remote and as a general rule the max charge voltage of a cell is ~0.5V higher than the nominal voltage so 7.9v would do it... If you can't supply the full current it wants then the smart charger in the remote 'should' charge at a lower speed

Common misconception... the controller unit has a step down converter inside and runs on a lower voltage than the battery puts out... this keeps the radio output levels the same no matter if the battery is 100% or 30%.

And remember , that's still a lipo inside there... and it should be cycled and stored with the same lipo rules.
keeping it fully charged all the time will shorten it's life span considerably.

From my experience, (i have 4 batteries and an external battery pack i use to charge them) I have flown a full day (9 batteries worth or so) using the iphone / ipad (which wont charge over the usb port admittedly) and my ipad died before the remote did.

However in regards to your original question Its a 6000 mAh 2S battery inside the remote and as a general rule the max charge voltage of a cell is ~0.5V higher than the nominal voltage so 7.9v would do it... If you can't supply the full current it wants then the smart charger in the remote 'should' charge at a lower speed

Hi, so are you saying a 6v charger should do it? Anyone try using a portable charger for the controller? Anyway I guess if it can go through a half dozen batteries without issues or reduction in performance or range it's not entirely necessary. It's good to have options though.

I's pretty sure you would still need to put in some thing close to the original voltage needed to charge the controller which would be 17.4 volts tho Im sure you could go a tiny bit lower or higher. But not so sure if 12v would be enough even tho it does use a step down converter inside it.

No point. The controller should last 5 to 6 hours on a charge. Topping off the battery and not cycling it would be bad for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic