Charging ipod touch from controller

Reaction score
I'm sure I read that the controller will charge whatever device is being used as a screen while connected to it. When I first connect my Ipod Touch (G6) it shows it is being charged but after about 20 minutes of flying I get a low battery warning on it. Is this normal?

The transmitter/controller only allows a 0.5amps charge flow to the device. Most smart devices chargers are at 2.1amps. As far as I know, I believe when the screen is on it is chewing up a little more than the rated input rate of 0.5 amps. Note: your device(s) will charge at less the 2.1 amps!

However, a positive "trickle charge" is what you get via the controller (if the screen is off) and if your device has a 50% or less charge to begin with it will soon get depleted using it while flying.

Best to fly with a fully charged device and that way the controller has a bit of a chance to reduce the amount the device is using while flying - although it will not likely maintain a "top up" charge.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that iOS devices won't charge while connected to the controller (maybe something Apple did to preserve battery life)??

Last edited:
The transmitter/controller only allows a 0.5amps charge flow to the device. Most smart devices chargers are at 2.1amps. As far as I know, I believe when the screen is on it is chewing up a little more than the rated input rate of 0.5 amps. Note: your device(s) will charge at less the 2.1 amps!

However, a positive "trickle charge" is what you get via the controller (if the screen is off) and if your device has a 50% or less charge to begin with it will soon get depleted using it while flying.

Best to fly with a fully charged device and that way the controller has a bit of a chance to maintain the "top up" rate - although not likely maintain the "top up" charge.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that iOS devices won't charge while connected to the controller (maybe something Apple did to preserve battery life)??

I always charge it fully before heading out for a flight and it definitely shows that charging is taking place when it's plugged in to the controller. Your trickle explanation sounds plausible but 20 mins is a very short time to deplete 80% power on my Ipod.

Thanks.

20 mins is a very short time to deplete 80% power on my Ipod.

Yikes - 80% charge gone in 20 minutes!!

What iOS do you have installed - I think 9.0 or maybe 9.2.1 is their latest. Do you have a lot of apps running in the background that might drain your battery while flying?

Despite any apps running, losing 80% in 20 minutes is just not normal at all and there is no way the controller charging for the iPod could replenish when loosing a charge that fast.

Another question here for you - have you ever, or do you regularly deep cycle charge the battery? One of the reasons you might want to do this is when you notice battery discharge is occurring quickly (like in your case).

Regardless, you really should carry out at least one complete charge cycle per month.................

1 Charge battery to 100%

2. Let it run down completely (run a video or something that will drain it quickly).

3. Re-charge to 100% and test it out during your normal usage and see if that helps (I have ran a complete cycle charge 2x in row to achieve best battery health and to improve usage time for a single charge (usually 1x per month is enough).

Really does sound like you need to do a complete cycle charge - discharge and charge (your battery is showing 80% and gone in 20 minutes really screams complete cycle charge required (that is unless you have iOS 8 installed - there was problems with battery charging and false % values of full charge with that OS).

Best of luck.

Yikes - 80% charge gone in 20 minutes!!

What iOS do you have installed - I think 9.0 or maybe 9.2.1 is their latest. Do you have a lot of apps running in the background that might drain your battery while flying?

Despite any apps running, losing 80% in 20 minutes is just not normal at all and there is no way the controller charging for the iPod could replenish when loosing a charge that fast.

Another question here for you - have you ever, or do you regularly deep cycle charge the battery? One of the reasons you might want to do this is when you notice battery discharge is occurring quickly (like in your case).

Regardless, you really should carry out at least one complete charge cycle per month.................

1 Charge battery to 100%

2. Let it run down completely (run a video or something that will drain it quickly).

3. Re-charge to 100% and test it out during your normal usage and see if that helps (I have ran a complete cycle charge 2x in row to achieve best battery health and to improve usage time for a single charge (usually 1x per month is enough).

Really does sound like you need to do a complete cycle charge - discharge and charge (your battery is showing 80% and gone in 20 minutes really screams complete cycle charge required (that is unless you have iOS 8 installed - there was problems with battery charging and false % values of full charge with that OS).

Best of luck.

I have no other apps running but I do have the brightness at maximum because of glare (even though I use a hood for it too).

I've done a complete cycle charge before but I'll do it again immediately before my next flight and see how things go. I am using iOS9.2.1.

Cheers,
LFS

I did as you suggested and it made a noticeable difference on my last flight. Thanks for that.

Great to hear and thanks for letting me know - appreciate that.

Glasgow eh! I was born in Dundee at Maryfield Hospital (if its still around) and went to school at Montrose Academy-------- then my parents emigrated to Canada when I was 10 and here I am. Crazy electronic world isn't it when we can communicate in mere seconds from one country to the next!

Reactions: Low Flying Scotsman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31