Charging a battery before the automatic discharge happens

Reaction score
There has to be a better way to keep up with batteries than what I've been doing.

I have the self-discharge set for 10 days. After 10 days, the battery starts to discharge, and I can put it on charge to bring it back up. If I forget or I'm delayed, then I have batteries that don't have a full charge when I need to use them. And if I try to recharge before 10 days, the charger won't try to charge the battery.

Is there a way to force the charger to bring a battery up to full charge, or have it tell the battery to defer the 10-day discharge?

Yes, I know it's probably not the best thing for the long term life of the batteries, but it beats having them all at 75% (or whatever) when I need to fly.

I also know I could stagger the use/discharge dates, but that just makes it that much harder to keep up with them.

Thanks.

What you are describing is the worst thing you could do to your batteries. LiPo batteries do not like being stored fully charged or fully discharged. I set all of mine to 3 day discharge specifically for that reason. You are affecting not only the overall life of the batteries by constantly charging them (even when you don't use them) but you risk swelling or worse by keeping them at full charge for extended periods.

Let them discharge as they should. Leave them at the storage charge level until you need to fly. Charge them the day before flying.

I fly for a fire department so I don't have the option of advance warning a day or even an hour before the drone is needed.

Is there a way to maintain a certain level of partial charge? For example, I'd be happy to be able to maintain a known charge range (such as between 80% and 90%) in some way.

Or is there a way to turn off self-discharge, so I could charge (or discharge) the batteries to 90% and know that they would maintain that level for a reasonable period such as a month or so?

I fly for a fire department so I don't have the option of advance warning a day or even an hour before the drone is needed.

Is there a way to maintain a certain level of partial charge? For example, I'd be happy to be able to maintain a known charge range (such as between 80% and 90%) in some way.

Or is there a way to turn off self-discharge, so I could charge (or discharge) the batteries to 90% and know that they would maintain that level for a reasonable period such as a month or so?
If you check the battery before the 10 day discharge starts it will reset and start the 10 day count again. Just have to press the power button.

I have a phantom3 standard and I really don't understand the discharge cycle. I know where it's at in the settings but I never did understand it if someone might be able to give me a tip on what I should be doing I would appreciate it as not to destroy my batteries up before they have to be

I have a phantom3 standard and I really don't understand the discharge cycle. I know where it's at in the settings but I never did understand it if someone might be able to give me a tip on what I should be doing I would appreciate it as not to destroy my batteries up before they have to be
To look after your batteries, you should avoid having them sit around for long periods fully charged or at very low level.
The batteries will automatically discharge to storage level and you can adjust the number of days before self-discharge starts to minimise the time a battery is stiing holding a full charge.
The best setting will depend on how often you fly.

To look after your batteries, you should avoid having them sit around for long periods fully charged or at very low level.
The batteries will automatically discharge to storage level and you can adjust the number of days before self-discharge starts to minimise the time a battery is stiing holding a full charge.
The best setting will depend on how often you fly.

I fly intermittently and usually land at about 30%
How would you recommend I store mine?
Should I charge up to 3 lights before storing?
I saw this recommended somewhere.

Always keep the. In storage level for long life and capacity. Yes recharge to three lights, third should be blinking for storage, 65% charge

Reactions: Phill2
To force an almost charged battery to top off simply connect it to the charger while it (the battery) is turned on.

To avoid the commencement of auto discharge press the power button once- this will reset the countdown to discharge commencement timer.

You already know you have found one of the fastest known ways to reduce the usable capacity of the batteries however it seems you have a convenience vs lifespan issue to balance.

I would go with your suggested option to cycle the packs through which ones are kept at full SOC.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Always keep the. In storage level for long life and capacity. Yes recharge to three lights, third should be blinking for storage, 65% charge

Sorry do not agree.

The questioner said he flies to 30% ... that is in the low range of storage. Once the battery is out of the drobne ad stood - its rested voltage will most likely rise slightly to about 33 - 35%. That is a very good storage level.

Regardless of Phantom batterys being HV format - recc'd storage cell voltage still sits in the 3.7 - 3.85V range.

Yes - the table was written for a standard 4.2V cell LiPo but still applies to 4.35V HV LiPo cells.

The auto discharge brings cells down to 55% approx in the ~48hrs after the user set days ... BUT the discharge does NOT stop ... it just slows right down to a trickle. You can stand your batterys for weeks ... months even before too low level reached.

I attach a file that was written to pass to new users in our club etc. I appreciate that some may not agree with all in it - but it has proven itself over time to be effective.
(Some will comment on the calibration part .. no argument - just in there as per DJi Tutorials).
There is no need to charge up to 50% as some advise ... and certainly not to 65%. LiPo manufacturers rec'd 25 - 50% storage level and many say in the lower half.

Attachments

• DJI battery summary.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 326
Reactions: PhantomFandom
If I charge to 3 lights as above does auto discharge still kick in after 10 days?
The batteries will not auto discharge if they are already at or below the storage level.

Sorry do not agree.

The questioner said he flies to 30% ... that is in the low range of storage. Once the battery is out of the drobne ad stood - its rested voltage will most likely rise slightly to about 33 - 35%. That is a very good storage level.

Regardless of Phantom batterys being HV format - recc'd storage cell voltage still sits in the 3.7 - 3.85V range.

Yes - the table was written for a standard 4.2V cell LiPo but still applies to 4.35V HV LiPo cells.

The auto discharge brings cells down to 55% approx in the ~48hrs after the user set days ... BUT the discharge does NOT stop ... it just slows right down to a trickle. You can stand your batterys for weeks ... months even before too low level reached.

I attach a file that was written to pass to new users in our club etc. I appreciate that some may not agree with all in it - but it has proven itself over time to be effective.
(Some will comment on the calibration part .. no argument - just in there as per DJi Tutorials).
There is no need to charge up to 50% as some advise ... and certainly not to 65%. LiPo manufacturers rec'd 25 - 50% storage level and many say in the lower half.

Totally absolutely fully agree with you. Land at or before 30% capacity. Then put the battery away and check level every few weeks if you won't be flying. Non need whatsoever to "top it off" to 3 lights. The battery will be very happy at the 30% charge level and you are not taking up part of a charge cycle.

Reactions: Phill2
The batteries will not auto discharge if they are already at or below the storage level.

Auto Discharge ... agree.

But very low rate self discharge still occurs and is why we should check every few weeks or so to make sure not dropping too low ... or into dreaded 'Hibernation Mode'.

I’m a police officer, our portable radios have lithium batteries. We keep them in their smart chargers 24-7/ 365. These batteries go through 1000s of cycles with no adverse effects.

I used to try to keep my personal lipo packs for RC use at their minimum rate etc. This year though, I left a 4s battery fully charged for Approx 6 months (it’s craft was getting repaired) and I just topped it off and it hasn’t given me any issues. Maybe I’m just lucky.

I think today’s lipo packs are much better with their balance leads then the lipo packs of years past without them.

I think partly all the manufacturers say to do this or that, just so they can void warranties.

Just my 2 cents. But I can totally see the need to keep packs charged all the time for emergency services. I’ve used the same 2 packs on my portable radio for years now. 2 packs because sometimes **** happens and we work longer than the batteries last and we can just throw in the 2nd battery and keep going.

I have marine handheld VHF radios ... for work and when I'm on my yacht ...

The only ones that have not suffered battery failure - are the cheap Cobra's that use NiMh AA's .... the professional radios with their Lithiums went bye bye on their batterys pretty quick !
Sad thing is - no longer do they have 12v input sockets for back-up power ... and the charge socket will not allow radio to be on while connected.

What you are describing is the worst thing you could do to your batteries. LiPo batteries do not like being stored fully charged or fully discharged. I set all of mine to 3 day discharge specifically for that reason. You are affecting not only the overall life of the batteries by constantly charging them (even when you don't use them) but you risk swelling or worse by keeping them at full charge for extended periods.

Let them discharge as they should. Leave them at the storage charge level until you need to fly. Charge them the day before flying.
I tend to charge mine the day before flying, but still, I didn't know you could damage your batteries by keeping them charged all the time.
Good advice , thanks

Personally, I've just kept my batteries topped off all the time.
Never noticed premature failures, shorter flight times or any really adverse affects.
I do fly a lot, but now my flying is spread over 4 aircraft. Longer sit times now for some.
I've got a few Inspire 1 batteries that won't charge all the way up, but they were bought used and have lots of cycles on them, so can't say if charging was the issue.
Even if you get four lights on, with a battery at any state charge, in the off state, just hold the button in until the lights come on.
If you get three lights, you have a bad cell, four lights, good battery, but you guys probably knew that.
I just don't overthink anything.
Under thinking acceptable...I guess, just personal experience.

Even if you get four lights on, with a battery at any state charge, in the off state, just hold the button in until the lights come on.
If you get three lights, you have a bad cell, four lights, good battery, but you guys probably knew that.
That is actually not true. Pressing and holding the power button with the battery off tells you the battery health/remaining lifetime. If you see 3 lights instead of four it does not mean you have a bad cell. It only means that the battery is well used and has about 75% of it's original life left.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic