Changing transmitter from FCC to CE

Reaction score
Hi

I just bought a FC40 and was hoping to take a first flight today but going through the start up sequence noticed that the transmitter was set to FCC standard (two beeps on power up). Not sure why it was set like that considering I bought it in the UK. Anyway, I read the manual which stated that I could change it by turning the potentiometer on the back counter clock wise. When I attempted this the screw just spins and never reaches a limit, and when I power up I still get the two beeps saying it's in FCC mode.

Any ideas how I can get it into CE mode? Am I doing something wrong?

So far as I know the FC40 is like the Phantom One and you can't change it like that.
The pot you were turning is for the gimbal control lever (which was actually supplied with my P1).
On the P2 variants TX there are two small openings with pots inside you can turn.
- one does power the other the gimbal.

Thanks for the reply.

On the back of the transmitter there are definitely 2 potentiometers and I was turning the bottom one as per the manual. Perhaps the transmitter was updated.

Sounds like there isn't much to be done. I don't want to open the case as I would prefer to return it for a refund. Quite dissapointed as I was looking forward to flying it today.

Where are you? Will you get in trouble flying in FCC mode?

I'm in the UK.

I might be able to get away with it but I really wouldn't want to risk possible interference. Long term I would like to use it for work (with appropriate approval by CAA) so wouldn't want to jeopradise that possibility.

Interference? What does changing it do to signals? I have a P2V+ which I fly on CE. But I'd put it on FCC without a thought if I wanted to go further. I don't think you need to worry. The world here isn't much different from the US, so I doubt the world would crumble if you flew in FCC, lol. That's just me though :D

The FC40 comes with an assistant program right? Look on that.

Glad to hear the skies won't fall :)

I don't know much about radio transmissions but presumably the CE standard is set for a reason, if not why not always fly on FCC? I'm just frustrated that I was sold something not setup for UK use from the get go and isn't working as advertised.

I did briefly check the assistant program but I wasn't sure how to connect the transmitter to my computer.

I appreciate the help. Thanks

The CE-FCC choice is only for 5.8GHz radios like the FC40 and P2V+. The other radios also have the extra pot but it isn't supposed to do anything. On the FC40 and P2V+ radios you are supposed to be able to switch from FCC (standard) to CE. But on my FC40 radio, it never made a difference. I keep hearing 2 beeps when I turn it on. I also set CE mode in the radio assistant but that didn't change anything. Still 2 beeps and the same range (1800-2000 feet or 550-650 meters) which I measured with Google maps.

I really don't care that it remains in FCC, the difference is 200meters so what's the big deal.

The difference between CE and FCC is only transmitter power. CE is a lower power output setting than FCC.
Its highly unlikely anyone would know what mode you use.

With my FC40 controller I had to modify a phillips head screw driver by grinding down the tip, the plastic head inside is really just a flat cross & not very deep so normal phillips heads just spin around in it, the ends of the cross are sealed off so a flat tip won't fit, you also may have to put a bit of pressure on the driver cause when you muck about with it with the wrong head it burrs it, it can really get up your nose, the screw limits the controller distance only , more government hysteria, rules & regulations, keeps the plebs happy.

Just keep it in fcc.There in no real reason for ce; is just european overregulation. Fcc just prevents unwanted loss of connection with your bird!

Hi, I found that you can set it by using the RC Assistant software. On the calibrate page you can select FCC or CE. Now I get only the single beep when turning on the transmitter :) You need to open the transmitter up and connect it via the micro usb to your PC and run the assistant software.

Well, mine just stays in FCC no matter the setting in RC assistant. Fine with me, I want the FCC range. Even thinking of swapping the Rx and get a 16 channel 2.4 GHz Taranis transmitter.

thats the way to go. you can do so much with that TX, and its cheap. use it on all my heils and 250 racers, takes a bit to learn,

Good to read you're happy with it. I feel a purchase coming soon.
I can fly both my Phantoms with it, finally install retracts and whatever comes to mind. And I can use my 5.8 Fatshark on both as well.
From what I've read about it it's only second to a Spectrum (and just as programmable) but that's more than twice the price. The build quality of the Spectrum certainly adds to the cost for sure but the Taranis is hands down the best value for the buck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl