Cell phone towers

I've done cell tower inspections with a P4PV2 - use the 5ghz frequency. We do turns about a point at multiple levels about 15-20 feet from the tower. Watch out for the small dishes on a tower - they will mess you up - just go above or below.

I think the v2 uses a different signal from drone to RC for video. Like I said, my visual freezes up and shuts off my display and I look at a black screen. I’m going to try switching frequencies but I think it’s just the video feed that scrambled. I get the message that my app isn’t working. The actual drone never loses control. I just can’t document with video or pictures as nothing works. I’ve tried restarting the app in air but I haven’t had luck. I have to land, and shut off and restart everything. Is a pia especially if in red zone and have to get unlock from DJI multiple times

Edited to say I have the plus version with attached display

In my semi rural subdivision there are two wireless ISP towers. I get a lot of radio interference messages and green bars when flying around some parts of it with my P4 and P4A. I can't say for sure if it's the towers, peoples wifi, or both, just that it's there.

I would have bought the P4P with occusync, but got such a good price on sale for the P4A I went with that. Curious if the occusync would make a difference or not.

Reactions: Adamborz
I have never attended to fly near a cell phone tower and I am not sure what effect it will have on my wi/fi. There is a creek I want to take some footage of but there is a cell phone tower less than 100 foot from where I want to launch from. Any advice would be appreciated.

Use an 800Mhz system...

The old Phantom 1 days with a GoPro on a 2-axis gimbal. Good times.

D

No problems - even 5’ away. Once in a while I’ve seen a compass error but never created an issue.

Use an 800Mhz system...
The old Phantom 1 days with a GoPro on a 2-axis gimbal. Good times.
D

I don’t know anything about Phantom 1. Was it having a 800 MHz link btw RC & AC ? If yes, then is no wonder why you fly right into the microwave dish beam without any issues.

I have flew around them with all my phantoms and never had any issues. I had one of these with just my Standard and did away with it and this one is with my Mavic .
You are a very skilled pilot...at 1:41 of the video it looks like the camera is tilted up quite a bit. I'm assuming you are just shy of seeing the props? Are you using POI in Go4 or Litchi to circle the tower or are you amazingly doing it manually. And again great looking shots, very cinematic. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: dirkclod
You are a very skilled pilot...at 1:41 of the video it looks like the camera is tilted up quite a bit. I'm assuming you are just shy of seeing the props? Are you using POI in Go4 or Litchi to circle the tower or are you amazingly doing it manually. And again great looking shots, very cinematic. Thanks in advance.
Go4 is all I use.
Mostly I use POI but now there is an art to using that moving up and downl in and out but some is just from flying P2V's so long. I still fly one just for stick practice . Lots of stuff I am right under it so it looks harder than it is . That.and I fly almost everyday and have since I started with a FC40 . After a while it gets second nature . I have a harder time using the modes than just the sticks doing some stuff.
I know I look funny to others when I am flying as I use body English ya might say . :p

Reactions: wcw1223
Different frequencies, Cell towers only transmit a few watts, digital and the spacing does not require a lot of power. As long as the receiver amp in the DJI products have really good rejection of unwanted signals which most equipment these days should should not be an issue.

Reactions: wcw1223
Different frequencies, Cell towers only transmit a few watts, digital and the spacing does not require a lot of power. As long as the receiver amp in the DJI products have really good rejection of unwanted signals which most equipment these days should should not be an issue.

That’s good information. Thank You for sharing.

My firm stays away from cell phone towers and transmitters on buildings. We have had drones go nuts when we are within 50' of them.

Reactions: Quest-So
Strange how some have no issues and others do.
I’ve done POI’s around our dofler unit here with my
Standard which is just WiFi and never had issues.
Not sure just what’s in those but have.
Some towers must really putout some power I guess.

From my limited knowledge of radio tech, I would assume cell towers would not be as problematic as wireless ISP towers, as cell towers are pretty low power in both receiving and transmitting, whereas ISP towers transmit a data stream full time, all the time.

I could be incorrect though - maybe someone here with more radio knowledge than me can chime in here..

I get interference from my own wireless router when flying outside my house. My router broadcasts in both bands so switching the RC doesn’t matter. All kinds of warnings pop up about interference, but now that I think about it when I fly near the cell towers and my screen scrambles and shuts off, I don’t get any warnings about the interference???? Weird!!

I get interference from my own wireless router when flying outside my house. My router broadcasts in both bands so switching the RC doesn’t matter. All kinds of warnings pop up about interference, but now that I think about it when I fly near the cell towers and my screen scrambles and shuts off, I don’t get any warnings about the interference???? Weird!!

I get a warning [emoji615]️ of strong interference inside of my house and when I take it outside the warning goes away after a couple of minutes. I get none while flying.

I did fly the location l was concerned about and even flew the tower with no problem. I want to thank everyone for their input and the great videos that were posted. Maybe one day I can get some great footage to post.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT