Cell phone towers

Reaction score
I have never attended to fly near a cell phone tower and I am not sure what effect it will have on my wi/fi. There is a creek I want to take some footage of but there is a cell phone tower less than 100 foot from where I want to launch from. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have never attended to fly near a cell phone tower and I am not sure what effect it will have on my wi/fi. There is a creek I want to take some footage of but there is a cell phone tower less than 100 foot from where I want to launch from. Any advice would be appreciated.
I would be careful that cell tower could scramble your signal.

I have flew around them with all my phantoms and never had any issues. I had one of these with just my Standard and did away with it and this one is with my Mavic .

I want be flying the tower it’s self just near it. So I guess I should be ok. Thank y’all for your response

I’ve flown very near radio towers with just about every imaginable frequency band active and never had a problem. The phantom is a great tool to document the elevation of antennas and dishes.

Reactions: Basspig and wcw1223
That’s great to hear. The tower is only a few yards from where I want to launch and I will be flying over water so I was a bit concerned. I will be below ground level of it as well

I have a P4P+ and the cell towers scramble the signal to my display and shut it off. The drone never loses control, but my DJI go 4 shuts off. Had this happen several times and I’m always near a cell tower when it does. I have to fly without cameras to get my drone back. I’m told RTH still works but have never seen the need to try that feature.

Well you might not never seen the need but if I was you I would learn to use it and understand it cause if you Ever do need it or it goes into RTH and you don't have RTH height set right for where you are you might
wish you had.

Well you might not never seen the need but if I was you I would learn to use it and understand it cause if you Ever do need it or it goes into RTH and you don't have RTH height set right for where you are you might
wish you had.
If you’re talking to me, I’ve used RTH before, just never HAD to use it. I set my RTH as soon as I got the drone. I just meant that I flew the drone like an old school RC helicopter/ plane... without FPV

Reactions: dirkclod
wish you had.
And another piece of advice. When it decides to RTH and it is set to a predetermined height like 200ft for example. No obstacle avoidance on the top, it will rise into whatever is above it. I hope DJI puts obstacle avoidance on top for that reason.

I've done cell tower inspections with a P4PV2 - use the 5ghz frequency. We do turns about a point at multiple levels about 15-20 feet from the tower. Watch out for the small dishes on a tower - they will mess you up - just go above or below.

Reactions: wcw1223
I've done cell tower inspections with a P4PV2 - use the 5ghz frequency. We do turns about a point at multiple levels about 15-20 feet from the tower. Watch out for the small dishes on a tower - they will mess you up - just go above or below.

Thank you that’s great advice

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl