Catch phantom

Reaction score
I am stil a beginner pilot
I land my p3a manually or rth
How do I catch it sounds better than tipping over in the grass
Thanks in advance
Jim

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
is it Flipping OVER on shut down ?..if so how are you shutting the drones motors down ? explain Jim.

And they do make landing gear extenders for landing in grassy ares..way less then $10.00 US

If you're wanting to hand catch your phantom,I would highly recommend using a neck strap for the Tx. Because not only will it make things easier,it will make it a little safer as well. I have hand caught mine a few times,but I would rather land it on the ground or my drone case.

Reactions: DR.B
How I hand catch my phantom is as follows:
1. Bring in the aircraft from the flight.
2 Hold the aircraft in a hover at a height slightly above my head (approx. 6ft)
3. approach aircraft from behind and underneath, this will decrease your chances of coming in contact with moving propellers.
4. I grab the right landing skid close by the hull and hold firmly.
5. Use my left hand on the control to pull down the throttle, continue to hold until the motors power off. This is much easier if you use a lanyard to support your transmitter otherwise its a precarious balancing act trying to hold onto the transmitter and manipulate the lift stick.

Another method I have done is use the the auto land feature, and use both hands to grab the skids and wait for the aircraft to power down the motors.

Jim: If Oso's link has already covered this, apologies for the repetition. I've got two small points to add to the very good advice already given above. Myself, I rarely hand grab or catch - unless it's the best option in a tricky situation. We use a P4P, not a P3a, so I'm assuming/hoping they are basically the same when it comes to catching them.

First, be careful. The props can cause bad injury. Search YouTube for Enrique Iglesias trying to catch a drone during one of his concerts. Someone in the audience filmed what happened on their phone. It's a good example to be cautious (but not frightened).

My second point is to warn you that once you've initially got hold of the drone by the legs or a landing skid, be aware that the drone will want to pull away from you - a bit like a scared or angry captured animal wanting to escape - making an extra loud noise. Don't panic when this happens, instead focusing attention on shutting down the motors.

As an extra thought, we never take off or land on grass. We use an old tarpaulin - or, occasionally, a piece of board - laid onto the ground. And we do our best to find a flat, or nearly flat, piece of ground. This reduces the chances of tipping over to nil, unless there are very high winds. It also minimises any risk of damage to the camera lens etc.

I am stil a beginner pilot
I land my p3a manually or rth
How do I catch it sounds better than tipping over in the grass
Thanks in advance
Jim

If you are tipping over on ground - then I suggest you are not doing a landing properly.

Usual reason of tipping over are :

1. Using auto-land all way down to ground ... better to stop auto-land a metre or so before touch down ... then land manually choosing best spot. Once landed - pull left stick ALL way down and hold to stop motors ...
2. Using two stick CSC and not co-ordinating the sticks together - it causes a momentary command to tilt / yaw etc. and that trips it over.

My advise : yes practice hand catch for when needed ... but sort out landing direct to ground without need to put hands up near those spinning meat-cleavers.

My way I use :

I often use RTH to get back to close to home point ... once I have close view - I stop RTH and manually bring her to landing point ... descend and pick landing point .. land and then left stick all way down to stop motors.

I have NEVER tipped over landing ...

Nigel

There is no good reason to risk "catching" a drone. The propellers are very sharp and can do massive injuries in an instant. Don't be a fool! Google Images: "Drone injuries" if you don't believe it.

Reactions: rmash50
If you are a beginner as stated. Dont hand catch. Get a Hoodman landing pad, and get landing gear extensions for $10 bucks as noted about.
Stop using RTH its for emergencies. Too get it back to you fly it back to you. fly backwards battery facing you lower the drone to was it level then hit auto land over your landing target. Hopefully a landing pad. Once you start auto land, DO NOT touch the controls, as this will interfere with landing and cause the drone to flip over.

Nothing wrong with hand catching - I've done it from the start. Do as stoneriflefan44 says - hover it just away from you and then approach it (I don't care which direction I approach it from) - DON'T fly out towards your outstretched hand! Then power down.
I also hand launch and have never had a problem with either.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
How do you hand launch ?
Got plenty info on catching
I will continue landing

If you are a beginner as stated. Dont hand catch. Get a Hoodman landing pad, and get landing gear extensions for $10 bucks as noted about.
Stop using RTH its for emergencies. Too get it back to you fly it back to you. fly backwards battery facing you lower the drone to was it level then hit auto land over your landing target. Hopefully a landing pad. Once you start auto land, DO NOT touch the controls, as this will interfere with landing and cause the drone to flip over.

Sorry cannot agree ...

I often use RTH as it ensures straight flight direct to home ... It is not only for emergencies.

Second when AC is close by - revert to manual and descend under YOUR control to pick landing point ...
Land and then use Left Stick down to stop motors.

If you use Auto Land all way to land - THAT will be one of the main reasons for tip-overs ...

I have never had a tip-over doing manual landing.

Nigel

Reactions: Jgreg
Nigel. How to hand takeoff? Lots of info on landings

Not so easy .... because you need to release level as the motors hit lift speed. Much better to have a second person hold with two hands ... motors can then spin up and helper can release when it 'pulls out of hands' ...

Lets be honest - even poor location - a take-off is rarely not possible ...

Nigel

Same as others, I land manually, but power down with the left stick only. Early with this one (P3A), I used both sticks, and it tipped as well. I think the forum told me about the left-only thing and I've been doing it ever since. I use auto takeoff, but rarely auto land. Only a couple times to see if and how it worked.

I regard CSC shutdown and Auto Land as emergency functions .. and not for normal flight use.

I also rarely use CSC start up ... auto take-off is fine as its balanced and defaults to a hover ... that way you get immediate visual of conditions and no awkward moments as it lefts off ..

I suppose being a Heli flyer as well - I am very cautious about manual lift offs ... until the skids come off the deck - the model gives little indication of wind / external effects ... I wish I had auto-takeoff for my heli's !!

Nigel

There is no good reason to risk "catching" a drone. The propellers are very sharp and can do massive injuries in an instant. Don't be a fool! Google Images: "Drone injuries" if you don't believe it.
I disagree. First, I would repeat what I said above that I rarely hand catch/grab. And I warned about possible injuries, using Enrique's famous incident as an example.

On two occasions, the drone has "frozen" in position because of being "too close" to obstacles. One of these instances was in the corner of an industrial greenhouse; the other was in a woodland/stream setting. And, yes, I know how to use narrow sensing. We were filming professionally and not at all being reckless. The drone has understandable limitations when it will not move from its hovering position.

Also on two occasions, I have been close to critical low battery (13%) and therefore hand caught - rather than walking back to land at the takeoff tarpaulin position. This was on very rough terrain, where most of our filming is done. We didn't misjudge the timing, but rather calculated that an extra take was more important.

Finally, on just one occasion, the wind was so strong and gusting - in a mountainous environment - that I considered a hand grab to be the safer option for the drone.

I suggest that the above examples are very good reasons for hand catching. And I'm not at all being over-confident, but rather acutely aware of possible injuries. If you know what you're doing there is no risk. I am aware of other good reasons that others have for hand catching.

No need for anyone to get upset ... seems there will always be two camps on this.

Those that consider it unnecessary to use Hand Catch unless really necessary

Those that consider Hand Catch as their normal retrieval method.

Despite both camps giving their reasons for their preference .. the preferences will remain.

Life goes on ...

So please everyone - be safe and enjoy your flying.

Nigel

Nigel: I'm not at all "upset". And, if I was forced into a straightforward choice of putting myself into one of your two boxes, then I'd probably have to be in the "Those that consider it unnecessary to use Hand Catch unless really necessary" camp. (That said, I'm not in any way suggesting that regular hand catching is a bad choice or dangerous. I'm sure that others do it very well and without injury.)

Which makes it even more necessary that I challenge the statement above that there "is never a good reason". I've taken the decision to hand catch just five times out of approximately 800 or more flights. On each occasion, there has been a "good reason".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4