Casey Neistat

Reaction score
Browsed through a few threads that mentioned the man himself Casey but I'm more curious about the rules and regulations he may or may not be breaking. Can someone shed some light on this? I'm a daily watcher of his videos.

If you don't know who Casey is by now all you have to do is type into YouTube his first name and hundreds of his videos pop up. Casey is a YouTuber who posts daily videos about his life. More often than not Casey's videos include amazing New York City footage taken with his various DJI drones. Since Casey uses his videos for YouTube which he clearly makes a profit on does that mean that he would need to get the required permits before every flight every day in order to make them legal? He regularly flies around the Statue of Liberty and various bridges, under and over them.

Casey. UhHuh. I came across him a while back unrelated to UAV's.

Yeah, anything outdoors just isn't kosher unless he's in the Class G. Even so he appears to violate many rules.

Pretty talented guy, who sometimes uses drones among other photographic media to get his work done. He's a classic hipster who certainly knows his way around social media and how to turn a buck at it. I kind of like him.

Breaking the rules? I don't care to know how sausage is made, how politics works, nor how YouTube videos get made. We have a variety of local, state, and Federal agencies to pay attention to that kind of stuff so that I don't have to.

additionally I think the style of his videos are used to make things appear more reckless, dangerous, and spontaneous than they really are. I daily watch his videos as well, and the statue of liberty shots looked like they would not break any regulations assuming he contacted the airport first.

as he's obviously gained/getting a good income from Youtube one way or another, could his drone usage be classed as commercial. This is without the drone footage i've seen flying down streets etc

personally i think he's an idiot

could his drone usage be classed as commercial.
the statue of liberty shots looked like they would not break any regulations assuming he contacted the airport first.

As there is no doubt in my mind that it is commercial, therefor if needed he would not be contacting the airport but rather filing for and get approved of, an airspace authorization. It's late so tomorrow I'll get out my chart for the area around Statue of Liberty as there are special rules (SFRA) there and up/down the Hudson & East River.

Yes, he may come across as an idiot, may be an act, dunno as he seems to be successful. In any case he's entertaining. :)

Boy, Casey should be glad that no one from the FAA ever watches YouTube and that they therefore could never have a clue that he's violating their rules. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Casey keeps all the drones he's killed on a wall in his office. His first Mavic Pro isn't there because that one flew away...

Casey keeps all the drones he's killed on a wall in his office. His first Mavic Pro isn't there because that one flew away...
I've never kept the many, many R/C airplanes I've crashed over the years, but they certainly wouldn't all fit on any wall in my workshop. And I'm just a hobbyist. Casey is a professional whose R/C aircraft are tools to accomplish his job, not beloved possessions.

Reactions: Kai Mele and N017RW
All great info and feedback guys! I'd be really interested to see how many new commercial laws he breaks and what those fines could tally up to considering most of his flights are published for the world to see.... while im over here worrying about studying for a **** 107 cert and making sure the FAA doesn't come knocking at my door for stupid instagram of facebook post lol

Reactions: jlazz447
Poor ole Casey catches it around here :)
Sorry jlazz this is going to OT .
You might even find more threads on him here ;)

Not a fan of his, Not cause his drones but because i'm not into watching peoples lives on youtube. If it was strictly about quadcopters and videos i'd be interested but all the filler in between his flying turns me away.

Reactions: N017RW
for those who don't follow him, he officially canceled the vlog a few days ago. He didn't give a whole lot of info, other than he will still be on youtube, but changing direction in regards to the content he produces.

Not a fan of his......because i'm not into watching peoples lives on youtube.

nodding_clint_eastwood.gif

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
All great info and feedback guys! I'd be really interested to see how many new commercial laws he breaks and what those fines could tally up to considering most of his flights are published for the world to see.... while im over here worrying about studying for a **** 107 cert and making sure the FAA doesn't come knocking at my door for stupid instagram of facebook post lol

Any one could spend a small amount of time looking at YT videos and pick out _thousands_ that are and could be in violation of current FAA regs. Heck, I could pick out tons of videos and images posted on this forum that are in violation. Point is, why someone else's dead horse. There is simply no point in this endeavor. People point out Neistat because he's successful and high profile, no other reason.

Anyone here who wants to complain... ever flown beyond VLOS?

Any one could spend a small amount of time looking at YT videos and pick out _thousands_ that are and could be in violation of current FAA regs. Heck, I could pick out tons of videos and images posted on this forum that are in violation. Point is, why someone else's dead horse. There is simply no point in this endeavor. People point out Neistat because he's successful and high profile, no other reason.

Anyone here who wants to complain... ever flown beyond VLOS?
I actually haven't flown past line of sight, some say its range problem with the P3S but I say its a safety feature.. And As far as him violating laws, if he does then he should stop and that has ZERO to do with his fame and everything to do with the law.

I actually haven't flown past line of sight, some say its range problem with the P3S but I say its a safety feature.. And As far as him violating laws, if he does then he should stop and that has ZERO to do with his fame and everything to do with the law.

So you can see see it at 1150'? I loose it around 800', 900' at best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers