Casey Neistat under FAA Investigation

He would make a great investment of prosecution resources for the FAA. There is a great deal of leverage to be gained through successful conviction of high profile offenders, those who think it's cool to break laws and there are no consequences in doing so might think about it more- it encourages voluntary compliance.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Most of what has been said here about his FAA situation is pure speculation at best and pretty 100% unconfirmed. If anyone had something to say, they are most likely saying it because putting Neistat's name on their information guarantees more views.

If you think his content is crap, don't watch it. That does not make him an idiot. Try this... get up at 4am most days to run 5-7 miles. Film all day long while do your job. Get home around 7pm. Edit video until midnight or so and upload it. Wake up at 4am and do it all over again.... for a couple of years. Do such a good job that you gain 7 million viewers within that few years. When you have done this, feel free to come back here and criticize his work. Actually, forget the two years... do it for just a month and then feel free to judge him.

You think you can do better? Feel free to post a link to a video you created that you think is good.
I judge him not for his efforts or work ethics, but for the negative antics he has perpetrated over the years that brings nothing but negativity and bad press to this hobby/ industry. If you could make millions by being an idiot, all the power to you, and yes, I won't be watching any of his other videos. BTW I could only run 5 miles 2x a week and I'm 58 ;)

Last edited:
He would make a great investment of prosecution resources for the FAA. There is a great deal of leverage to be gained through successful conviction of high profile offenders, those who think it's cool to break laws and there are no consequences in doing so might think about it more- it encourages voluntary compliance.

Here's one I know about personally. Unlike drones when you do dumb things flying jets and high performance aircraft it will eventually catch up with you and kill you as well as other people.

The Long Sad, Tragic Story Is Over: David Riggs' Remains ID'ed | Aero-News Network

Last edited:
Man, I don't think you guys realize the kinda content he pumps out. The shots he gets are nothing any of us would ever try to get, but that why he has 7 million subs
I could care less if he's making gold rain down from the sky - if he's breaking the law with his drones it makes it bad on all of us!

Reactions: Crack The Sky
I judge him not for his efforts or work ethics, but for the negative antics he has perpetrated over the years
You judge people by only their limited negative aspects and not their actions as a whole? Okay. I guess that is fair. So I guess you judge people on this forum and yourself in this same way? So what about the hundreds of post from people who fly beyond VLOS? So you think those people are as bad as Neistat? What about the thousands of times you see posts from people who fly and have not called every single heliport within 5 miles (such as yourself?)? Those people are also as bad as Neistat?

Reactions: DroneWorx
I think people are judging him because he's high profile, is worth more than 25 million from being a high profile vlogger. And at the rate laws are being enacted for exactly such behavior makes it easier for the finger pointing.

Objectively speaking, successful hi profile bad behavior begets bad behavior. And considering most of his audience probable is not aware of the laws and rules we face, just the act of watching and subscribing encourages more behavior that is questionable. It's the look at me economy that we live in.

You judge people by only their limited negative aspects and not their actions as a whole? Okay. I guess that is fair. So I guess you judge people on this forum and yourself in this same way? So what about the hundreds of post from people who fly beyond VLOS? So you think those people are as bad as Neistat?
Potentially YES!
What about the thousands of times you see posts from people who fly and have not called every single heliport within 5 miles (such as yourself?)? Those people are also as bad as Neistat?
First I have my 107 (as well as a Commercial Pilot's license) and every time I fly I'm under 107, so put that argument to bed. If you don't call "every single heliport within 5 miles" you are violating FAR 101.41 - "are they as bad as Neistat"? Although I feel 101.41 is a horrible FAR, it is the law. So again potentially YES!

Neistat is purposely breaking the law to sell his following. It's one thing to violate the law discretely (and I'm not in any way shape or form condoning breaking the law with regards to sUAV operations) it's another thing to film your moronic exploits for the whole world to see. I hope the FAA eventually throws the book at him.

Last edited:
Potentially YES!
First I have my 107 (as well as a Commercial Pilot's license) and every time I fly I'm under 107, so put that argument to bed. If you don't call "every single heliport within 5 miles" within 5 miles you are violating FAR 101.41 - are they as bad as Neistat? Although I feel 101.41 is a horrible FAR, it is that law. So again potentially YES!

Nice... so you think most of the people (pretty much everyone) who posts here are idiots (by your own confirmation). Does not matter how nice, helpful or how much good they have done... if they do one thing wrong, they are an idiot in your eyes.

Good to know that you have _never_ flown beyond VLOS.

Nice... so you think most of the people (pretty much everyone) who posts here are idiots (by your own confirmation). Does not matter how nice, helpful or how much good they have done... if they do one thing wrong, they are an idiot in your eyes.
Oh spare me the violin! I have a crying towel for you as well.
Good to know that you have _never_ flown beyond VLOS.

Yep - FAR 107.31

Accept the fact that you are now operating a complex aerial vehicle that has the potential to endanger other aircraft operating within the national airspace system. This is a world where I have earned my living for the past 40 years. While I embrace this new field and hobby, there is a level of respect and responsibility that goes along with it. If you don't like the message someone like me is delivering here, do something else or keep violating the law, fines start at about $1,700.

BTW about a year ago I almost hit a drone flying around an uncontrolled airport while I was trying to land so I make no apologies for my opinions!!!

Last edited:
Accept the fact that you are now operating a complex aerial vehicle that has the potential to endanger other aircraft operating within the national airspace system. This is a world where I have earned my living for the past 40 years. While I embrace this new field and hobby, there is a level of respect and responsibility that goes along with it.
Sounds good. I'm sure you will be a lot of good information to the table. Thanks.

So he makes lots of money and has done some decent things but then has complete disrespect for the laws and good piloting practice.
Makes me feel sad that he has so many followers, is this the new role model of our future generation? I just can't stand the guy.
I don't rank a person by his bank account but by his values, this guy is bankrupt.

Reactions: N017RW
This thread cracks me up. You all exhibit such dislike for this person, probably based upon some sort of envy, jealousy or fantasy despite stating the contrary. I bet you all follow him on YouTube, twitter, and instagram and check in on his updates daily. It is the only way you could possibly develop such feelings.

Reactions: mrtibbs
This thread cracks me up. You all exhibit such dislike for this person, probably based upon some sort of envy, jealousy or fantasy despite stating the contrary. I bet you all follow him on YouTube, twitter, and instagram and check in on his updates daily. It is the only way you could possibly develop such feelings.
Not for me. I subscribed last year.... Two weeks later I unsubscribed. Found him annoying

Like em,love em but he's ..
Casy.gif

You all exhibit such dislike for this person, probably based upon some sort of envy, jealousy or fantasy despite stating the contrary.

My dislike for him is based on the fact that he's doing things that are bad for this hobby and industry and it will eventually affect all of us. Jealousy? Envy? I pity him because of his level of stupidity.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20