Casey Neistat flying on a Drone!

Reaction score
caseynbanner-1068x587.jpg

Human Flying Drone by Casey Neistat - WeTalkUAV

Maybe its me, but I'm not sure Casey's antics are what we need when we're trying to keep the government from regulating us out of existence. Someone seeing post production sees it as real life and says that behavior should be banned in my state.

And here's another perspective:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some serious neglect for safety. I get the premise but no amount of safety protocol could make this is a safe operation. This is how people get killed on-set. There's no way this was within Finnish drone rules.

Maybe on a Note 7? What could go wrong?

I'm no expert, but it seems pretty obvious that this shoot was done with the full permission of the Finnish government. They had a movie level budget and professional drone pilots/builders shooting in several populated areas over a period of several days. If they were breaking the law, they would have gotten shut down.

Casey has certain pulled some crazy stunts that broke the law, but this doesn't seem anything like that.

I'm no expert, but it seems pretty obvious that this shoot was done with the full permission of the Finnish government. They had a movie level budget and professional drone pilots/builders shooting in several populated areas over a period of several days. If they were breaking the law, they would have gotten shut down.

Casey has certain pulled some crazy stunts that broke the law, but this doesn't seem anything like that.

Permission? Yes. Obviously. Did they violate Finnish drone safety regulations? Yes. Did the Finnish police have any idea of what is considered safe with regard to drone operations? No.

I've worked on many closed set drone shoots with bigger budgets than this. No one in their right mind should be within such close proximity to a drone with that much potential to cause deadly injury. At one point the drone nearly descended onto Neistat's head. As much as I can't stand him, it was far too close.

Reactions: peterjse
It baffles me that so many people are unable to distinguish professional video and photography using drones from the hobbyist role of the vast majority of drone customers. People keep wanting to put Casey Neistat in the same category as your average poster here. It's not a hobby for him. It's a professional tool. As to the moral outrage over Casey violating the law....what was the outcome of the legal action against him by the Finnish Transportation Safety Authority? How many times has Casey been fined by the FAA in the US?

Reactions: Aramis
It baffles me that so many people are unable to distinguish professional video and photography using drones from the hobbyist role of the vast majority of drone customers. People keep wanting to put Casey Neistat in the same category as your average poster here. It's not a hobby for him. It's a professional tool. As to the moral outrage over Casey violating the law....what was the outcome of the legal action against him by the Finnish Transportation Safety Authority? How many times has Casey been fined by the FAA in the US?

I am professional. I work on closed sets all the time. I have flown heavy-lift drones weighing over 40lbs in these environments. There is little to debate. This video is proof of pretty serious safety violations. Either this is a giant VFX job or there were inherent safety issues with this shoot. No amount of safety prep would save someone from the carbon fiber prop blades if there was a deviation from the intended course. They would have no time to take cover at those distances. With sixteen 30" carbon fiber props, it would be safer to stick your face into the working end of a lawn mower. The BTS shows Neistat nearly getting hit by the descending drone. Read the Finnish rules. And this isn't Neistat's first egregious violation of aviation safety rules.

People make stupid decisions on set all the time for the sake of "getting the shot". There's a reason why almost every slate out there says "Never forget Sarah". And then there's this:

Reactions: peterjse
Never even thought about the laws in Finland actually. But you guys are right. This monster of a drone is in pretty dang close to the people in town several times.
But... I have to say that I def don't hate this guy and also the freaking talent and shots filmed in this piece are off the charts IMO! This guy is def a crazy nutty dude. But I like his story! If you have watched him long enough the guy has a pretty cool story. He is a creative that is always gonna do it the other way or the way that has not been done. Plus, he is one talented filmaker and editor as well. He tells it like it is no matter what he's doing or reviewing. So needless to say I think the video freaking rocked!!! He's also kinda rich too. As in CNN just basically bought his idea's for 25 million let alone the 100,000 grand a month he makes from Youtube content.

Reactions: Helihover
I am professional. I work on closed sets all the time. I have flown heavy-lift drones weighing over 40lbs in these environments. There is little to debate. This video is proof of pretty serious safety violations. Either this is a giant VFX job or there were inherent safety issues with this shoot. No amount of safety prep would save someone from the carbon fiber prop blades if there was a deviation from the intended course. They would have no time to take cover at those distances. With sixteen 30" carbon fiber props, it would be safer to stick your face into the working end of a lawn mower. The BTS shows Neistat nearly getting hit by the descending drone. Read the Finnish rules. And this isn't Neistat's first egregious violation of aviation safety rules.

People make stupid decisions on set all the time for the sake of "getting the shot". There's a reason why almost every slate out there says "Never forget Sarah". And then there's this:

Nice to have a Finnish drone law expert on board here.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Nice to have a Finnish drone law expert on board here.

Never made any such claim. But it doesn't take a genius. Frankly, I don't care if Neistat got diced into a pulp. Live by the sword. But the onlookers? Unacceptable.

I am sure those who did it found ways to justify to themselves why they took such risks flying in such close proximity to onlookers. There are plenty of accidents that have been found to be caused by such justifications.

https://www.trafi.fi/filebank/a/144...8599203de96117fe/18706-OPS_M1-32_RPAS_eng.pdf

Reactions: BigAl07
Never made any such claim. But it doesn't take a genius. Frankly, I don't care if Neistat got diced into a pulp. Live by the sword. But the onlookers? Unacceptable.

I am sure those who did it found ways to justify to themselves why they took such risks flying in such close proximity to onlookers. There are plenty of accidents that have been found to be caused by such justifications.

https://www.trafi.fi/filebank/a/144...8599203de96117fe/18706-OPS_M1-32_RPAS_eng.pdf
Nice to hear a staff member here say that they would like to see someone diced into a pulp by a drone! WTF! Come on man! Thats not nice at all! You are not helping any dude! Look at some of the good things Casey has done for mankind! Wake up man! If you can't say something positive I would think you should remove yourself from being a staff member here! Be nice dude!

Nice to hear a staff member here say that they would like to see someone diced into a pulp by a drone! WTF! Come on man! Thats not nice at all! You are not helping any dude! Look at some of the good things Casey has done for mankind! Wake up man! If you can't say something positive I would think you should remove yourself from being a staff member here! Be nice dude!

He never said he WANTED to see him get diced up. He said:

"Frankly, I don't care" and that's a LONG way away from what you've just accused him of.

Casey do GOOD for mankind? Talk about a bit of a STRETCH wouldn't you say?

He never said he WANTED to see him get diced up. He said:

"Frankly, I don't care" and that's a LONG way away from what you've just accused him of.

Casey do GOOD for mankind? Talk about a bit of a STRETCH wouldn't you say?
No not a stretch at all! He has helped raise millions for funding starving folks in third world countries for one! He def didn't follow FAA rules for many years but you don't care if gets diced up as a staff member on a friendly drone forum!!! Come on!! And your right, he only said he didn't care if he got dice up! That is just not right coming from a moderator here imo! Just my opinion!

No not a stretch at all! He has helped raise millions for funding starving folks in third world countries for one!
I'll admit I don't follow him (or personally like him to be honest) so I didn't know he has helped raised $$ but that's an admirable thing for him to do. I hope to hear about him doing that more and more.

He def didn't follow FAA rules for many years but you don't care if gets diced up as a staff member on a friendly drone forum!!!

His antics have put a black eye on the "law abiding" drone operators in this country and fueled the fire for many more to go out and copy his antics. That's inexcusable. He should be a role model in his actions across the board IMHO.

That is just not right coming from a moderator here imo! Just my opinion!

And just like you we also have opinions and we do abide by the same rules as everyone else.

Obviously Ian is stating the overall lack of safety for all involved.
Casey knew what he was doing and the risk involved, others may not have been informed.

Casy says OK.gif

Aircraft in movies have crashed many times, like in the movie 'The Final Season' where a camera helicopter crashed killing one aboard.
Unfortunately, it happens too often - Safety On Set: Helicopter Crashes Have Taken Most Lives On TV And Film Sets
Here is a more recent accident while filming 'Top Gear'...

I'll admit I don't follow him (or personally like him to be honest) so I didn't know he has helped raised $$ but that's an admirable thing for him to do. I hope to hear about him doing that more and more.

His antics have put a black eye on the "law abiding" drone operators in this country and fueled the fire for many more to go out and copy his antics. That's inexcusable. He should be a role model in his actions across the board IMHO.

And just like you we also have opinions and we do abide by the same rules as everyone else.
I disagree with you that his attitude on drones is inexusable! He is under investigation by the FAA as he should be for his flying. But to say that you don't care if he gets diced up is a joke and that should be inexusable by a staff member here. I try to follow rules as much as possible when flying. But I'm not gonna lie I think a few rules for our hobby are just stupid! But that is neither here nor there! People are gonna break rules but that does not mean that we should throw them under the bus! We are still humans here! Staff members here should be kind, knowledgeable and helpful imo. Not talk trash about others!

A wise man once said-
The only one who cares how You Feel, is You.... The other 7 billion only care how you Act.

Reactions: pomonabill220
A wise man once said-
The only one who cares how You Feel, is You.... The other 7 billion only care how you Act.
Perfect N017RW! Thx for your insight man! So hopefully the other Phantom Pilots on here care about how staff members act on here!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic