Casey Neistat flying on a Drone!

Perfect N017RW! Thx for your insight man! So hopefully the other Phantom Pilots on here care about how staff members act on here!

Wrong interpretation!

Your feelings about moderators don't matter to anyone else (nor do mine).

Feelings (opinions) are not ACTions.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Look! I love this forum guys! But it should be all positive when we are addressing people no matter what the **** they have done or are going to do tbo! This is a forum to try and get people to be better at our craft! It's not a place to ***** about him or her and what they are doing! Its a place to teach in a respectful manner! So if we see someone doing something wrong or stupid in our eyes, it's only our eyes. Can we not be nice and say look Mr. Smith, this is how I think you should act or fly? To call names and say people are dumb or you don't care if someone's get's diced up is just not good for anyone! No one benefits! I get it that their are awesome manned and unmanned pilots here in this wonderful forum! And I respect the **** out of manned pilots especially for what they do. And I feel like a lot of them if not most agree that drones are mostly not gonna be a problem except for that one ******* that ends up hitting an aircraft in the windshield! That's the day that all hell will break loose and we will really get it from the FAA! But it has not happened yet and I pray to God that it never does! So let's just all try to be nice about ****! Sound cool??????

Look! I love this forum guys! But it should be all positive when we are addressing people no matter what the **** they have done or are going to do tbo! This is a forum to try and get people to be better at our craft! It's not a place to ***** about him or her and what they are doing! Its a place to teach in a respectful manner! So if we see someone doing something wrong or stupid in our eyes, it's only our eyes. Can we not be nice and say look Mr. Smith, this is how I think you should act or fly? To call names and say people are dumb or you don't care if someone's get's diced up is just not good for anyone! No one benefits! I get it that their are awesome manned and unmanned pilots here in this wonderful forum! And I respect the **** out of manned pilots especially for what they do. And I feel like a lot of them if not most agree that drones are mostly not gonna be a problem except for that one ******* that ends up hitting an aircraft in the windshield! That's the day that all hell will break loose and we will really get it from the FAA! But it has not happened yet and I pray to God that it never does! So let's just all try to be nice about ****! Sound cool??????
I am sure we all agree with you (well, maybe not the 4 times the system had to censor your cursing - Community Rules), so lets please get back on topic please.

offtopic.gif

Kumbaya my lord... kumbaya......

As BigAl correctly pointed out, I didn't wish harm upon Neistat. I simply said that if he brings it upon himself as he seems very much to do here, so be it. Which is why I added "live by the sword" as in the proverb "live by the sword, die by the sword".

And as amusing as his xmas video is, I would rather they did not do it. At least not that way. It sets the wrong example as so many of Neistat's videos do. It tells people it is OK to fly large drones within very short distance of onlookers. Or to hover it only feet above your hero. No amount of safety precautions makes that acceptable.

As for his altruism, great. He helped raise some money (none of his own) for charity. But I don't think that makes up for his "do whatever you want, consequences be ***** approach". At least not when it comes to flying drones.

OMG you guys are too much. I don't like Casey much, but I must admit this video is amazing. I admire what he did here and I can only wish that I was a part of this amazing project.

As BigAl correctly pointed out, I didn't wish harm upon Neistat. I simply said that if he brings it upon himself as he seems very much to do here, so be it. Which is why I added "live by the sword" as in the proverb "live by the sword, die by the sword".

And as amusing as his xmas video is, I would rather they did not do it. At least not that way. It sets the wrong example as so many of Neistat's videos do. It tells people it is OK to fly large drones within very short distance of onlookers. Or to hover it only feet above your hero. No amount of safety precautions makes that acceptable.

As for his altruism, great. He helped raise some money (none of his own) for charity. But I don't think that makes up for his "do whatever you want, consequences be ***** approach". At least not when it comes to flying drones.
Thanks for clearing that up ianwood! And it's cool if we disagree about Casey! I don't think that drone interest would be where its at today if it weren't for some of his stuff. And I would say that Samsung was well insured for the Finland shoot too. He has also donated money of his own for several huge projects to help feed many people in poor countries. But you are right, I'm sure several have drove to New York City or are from there and watched a few of Casey's video's and said wow since he did that I think I'll just go try that myself! I just don't think there are that many that have the nerve in the first place and second I just don't think it's a must do thing for many. It's already been done! LOL. But seriously ianwood! I appreciate the crap out of all you guys that run the forum on here. I think you all do a good job! This comment just kinda struck me wrong today. Thanks for all your help ianwood!

Last edited:
I'm not worried over someone trying to duplicate Neistat's stunt. That AC was beyond the level of most DIY'ers to build. If you watch the making for that video, there was a lot of time spent on safety.

His actions with consumer drones is another stories. He is very open about considering camera gear to be disposable and goes through cameras and drones at a rate that will kill your wallet. They are his tools for his trade. Between the money he makes from Youtube and endorsements and the endless supply that DJI appears to ship him; destroying a drone is just an inconvenience to him.

When he unboxes a drone and then immediately launches it, that's setting a bad example for his viewers. There was one drone he received in the mail that he took outside his office and launched. It flew at high speed down the street and slammed into the side of a building. That doesn't help us. Being a CNN employee is making this better, they got him to finally start wearing a helmet when riding his Boosted board through Manhattan. He has take enough spills on that thing that he owes it to his family to wear a helmet.

I am curious to know if he has a Part 107 licence. His drone flying is commercial use.

I'm not worried over someone trying to duplicate Neistat's stunt. That AC was beyond the level of most DIY'ers to build. If you watch the making for that video, there was a lot of time spent on safety.

His actions with consumer drones is another stories. He is very open about considering camera gear to be disposable and goes through cameras and drones at a rate that will kill your wallet. They are his tools for his trade. Between the money he makes from Youtube and endorsements and the endless supply that DJI appears to ship him; destroying a drone is just an inconvenience to him.

When he unboxes a drone and then immediately launches it, that's setting a bad example for his viewers. There was one drone he received in the mail that he took outside his office and launched. It flew at high speed down the street and slammed into the side of a building. That doesn't help us. Being a CNN employee is making this better, they got him to finally start wearing a helmet when riding his Boosted board through Manhattan. He has take enough spills on that thing that he owes it to his family to wear a helmet.

I am curious to know if he has a Part 107 licence. His drone flying is commercial use.
Couldn't agree with you more anotherlab! Yeah he carried out his attitude with drones just like he treats his camera gear! Which I think is hilarious from just that standpoint how he treats his gear! It's part of his character on the show man. And yes, CNN is prob a good thing for him to calm him a little bit. He is one energetic hyper dude that is living every day to the fullest! He's pretty much is an animal when it comes to flim making and editing. He's a rock star now for sure! He wore his helmet on the board for a little while but I think he's back go going without it! LOL. But yeah his drone activity right in downtown has been really really crazy for sure! I don't condone that at all. But at the end of the day the guy is funny, super talented, and just fun to watch for a lot of reasons imo.
Oh and I'm pretty sure that he does not have a 107!

Last edited:

Well, if there is a sudden surge in people spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on massive drones to lift themselves in the air and bystanders get hurt, we will know who to blame.

How long is an appropriate wait time between someone opening their new toy and flying it?

How long is an appropriate wait time between someone opening their new toy and flying it?

Given the results of that flight, I would suggest the wait time to be just enough time to figure out how the controller app works. And avoid using a crowded Manhattan street for the maiden flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31