Canyon Beauty

Extraordinary video ... really nice job. Some questions. I really enjoy clips showing backwards flight in narrow canyons. Did you fly backwards or fly forwards and reverse the film during editing? What drone did you use? Did you use a low contrast setting in capture to give a wide dynamic range and then adjust in post processing?

Keep these nice videos coming. They are inspiratiponal!

Thank you for this nice comment.
1) I have both backwards and forwards footage from that spot. I didn’t revers the footage. I usually fly bidirectionally almost in every spot and in post I try to choose the best looking one.
2) P4P plus
3) D-Cine with -1/-2/-2 and sometimes -1/-1/-1
4) If you like to fly in narrow canyons or tight spots you'll like these videos: Please take a look and let me know your thoughts:
I’m a colorblind person. Thus, I usually do my best to get best possible footage during recording. In post, I only correct the footage for exposure, saturation and sharpness. But most of the time if the footage was recorded appropriately color correction takes only 2-3 minutes. For me, the most difficult part of the editing is to decide which shots to include and which ones to exclude and to find an appropriate background music.

Last edited:
Very nice video. and as others have said nice music choice!

I’m glad that you liked the music. For me, the most difficult part of the creating a video is to find an appropriate background music.

Its really nice. I agree with previous comments - tight smooth flying = interesting. music is very nice also. also agree with some repetitiveness. I don't know if it would have worked but how about a rapid decent going over the cliff face? more altitude variation in any case would have added to your already excellent work

Reactions: OOO
Its really nice. I agree with previous comments - tight smooth flying = interesting. music is very nice also. also agree with some repetitiveness. I don't know if it would have worked but how about a rapid decent going over the cliff face? more altitude variation in any case would have added to your already excellent work

Thanks! Actually I did almost every possible moves around that cliff including the one you have described. But I did exclude it in post. There were too many usable similar shots and it was really hard to decide which shots to include [emoji16]

Great location and lots of good techniques flight wise. The only critique I have is you never give the viewer enough time to soak in the scene before cutting to the next. IMO distant footage should be given extra screen time to help draw the focus of the viewer. There is a lot of info in focus when you are panning at distance. Your use of short range and direction changes is spot on though. Over all a great video.

Great location and lots of good techniques flight wise. The only critique I have is you never give the viewer enough time to soak in the scene before cutting to the next. IMO distant footage should be given extra screen time to help draw the focus of the viewer. There is a lot of info in focus when you are panning at distance. Your use of short range and direction changes is spot on though. Over all a great video.

Thank you very much! I’m relatively new to filming and editing. Several pro filmers/photographers have suggested me to keep my clips short (less than 5 seconds). That’s the reason I keep my clips short. But I agree, for some shots 5 seconds is probably too short, especially if you are flying very slow.

Thank you for this nice comment.
1) I have both backwards and forwards footage from that spot. I didn’t revers the footage. I usually fly bidirectionally almost in every spot and in post I try to choose the best looking one.
2) P4P plus
3) D-Cine with -1/-2/-2 and sometimes -1/-1/-1
4) If you like to fly in narrow canyons or tight spots you'll like these videos: Please take a look and let me know your thoughts:
I’m a colorblind person. Thus, I usually do my best to get best possible footage during recording. In post, I only correct the footage for exposure, saturation and sharpness. But most of the time if the footage was recorded appropriately color correction takes only 2-3 minutes. For me, the most difficult part of the editing is to decide which shots to include and which ones to exclude and to find an appropriate background music.

That was another question I forgot to ask ... where do you seek music for your videos. Are they free sites?

There is a noticeable difference in quality of music between free and purchased. Fees can be as low as $20 to $45, but this is for one end product only. If you’re making a number of videos, then free is fine. But for anything special, my strong advice would be to pay a small amount for a much better piece.

That was another question I forgot to ask ... where do you seek music for your videos. Are they free sites?

I usually search YouTube for background music. Several composers have at least a few copyright free background musics. Some of them are completely free (search for Ross Bugden, NoCopyrightSounds, NCM epic music). There are also plenty of free and paid sites like YouTube audio library, audiojungle, premium beat, audionetwork, soundclub, bensound.com. I mostly use free musics but also have some paid ones. Most of the paid sites also have several free ones. Again, for me, most difficult part of editing is to find an appropriate music. But if you can, this method works very well: 1) find a good music, 2) create a video content for that particular music [emoji16]

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Gordrone, post: 1324566, member: 37630]The only critique I have is you never give the viewer enough time to soak in the scene before cutting to the next. IMO distant footage should be given extra screen time to help draw the focus of the viewer.[/QUOTE]
Gordrone: One of my most trusted colleagues recently challenged me on the same subject and for the same reason. He claimed this is what the BBC wildlife documentaries would do - world leaders in their field. So I recently watched the first of three films on the greater Yellowstone ecosystem, which had some great landscapes - which a stopwatch. They kept their clips very short, even when the subject matter and film quality was outstanding. At the opposite end of the spectrum to the BBC Natural History Unit, YouTube offers the same advice if you want viewers to keep watching and not switch off - backed up with tonnes of impressive data.

Again, for me, most difficult part of editing is to find an appropriate music.
As an illustration of this important point, I spent approximately six hours trolling through countless pieces of music to find one for our film. And I’m fast-minded. Then it was checked with colleagues to see if they agreed. A detailed filming plan was then made on paper, with special emphasis placed on the music. And all before we’d hit “record” on the remote controller to begin filming.

Once, years ago, I had the luxury of first getting and editing the footage before a well-known film/television composer wrote and recorded an original music score (on top of the voice over). But this option will be beyond most of us, most or all of the time.

Music - and titles - are very important.

As an illustration of this important point, I spent approximately six hours trolling through countless pieces of music to find one for our film. And I’m fast-minded. Then it was checked with colleagues to see if they agreed. A detailed filming plan was then made on paper, with special emphasis placed on the music. And all before we’d hit “record” on the remote controller to begin filming.

Once, years ago, I had the luxury of first getting and editing the footage before a well-known film/television composer wrote and recorded an original music score (on top of the voice over). But this option will be beyond most of us, most or all of the time.

Music - and titles - are very important.

I have just decided not to use titles at all but maybe I should reconsider using it. I didn’t use a title in my last video and I liked it. Simplicity :)

Nice try throughout, but imho:
1. Oversharpened and the shutter speed way too high for cinematography video 2. Place mediocre for wow shots 3. Most shots are not accomplished and stopped in the middle just before you say wow.

Nice try throughout, but imho:
1. Oversharpened and the shutter speed way too high for cinematography video 2. Place mediocre for wow shots 3. Most shots are not accomplished and stopped in the middle just before you say wow.

Thank you for the feedbacks.
1) I used -1 for sharpness during recording. Edited with FCPX. I added 2.5% sharpness. Is it too much? The look is exactly the same as what I saw with my eyes. Recorded and uploaded at 4K@30 FPS with 1/60 shutter speed. What do you suggest for shutter speed? My shutter speed is always 2x of fps. Am I doing it wrong? If so, please let me know your suggestions.
2) Is there any wow shot in my video? I really don’t know which one is wow shot. Maybe I didn’t understand this one. Are you suggesting me to change clip sequence or you can’t see any wow shot? Sorry, English is my second language.
3) I got the message. This one is easy to correct.

Last edited:
OOO You, Sir, are an impressive aerial videographer ! I am truly inspired to attempt such productions. The music really DOES make the video. It holds your interest to continue to watch to see what will come up next. I agree with those that stated there was a bit too much repetition of scene locations though. I would suggest either omitting them or filming from another angle or better yet, a radically different altitude.

My only other suggestion is when panning up or out with gimbal or drone, don't cut to next scene until that final destination (the mountain table top) has been viewed for a few seconds. I got the feeling that just before I was rewarded with the "view at the top", it cut to the next scene. I hope that makes sense.

All in all, as a drone flyer but amateur or novice photographer, I am incredibly impressed! You got the talent for this!

OOO You, Sir, are an impressive aerial videographer ! I am truly inspired to attempt such productions. The music really DOES make the video. It holds your interest to continue to watch to see what will come up next. I agree with those that stated there was a bit too much repetition of scene locations though. I would suggest either omitting them or filming from another angle or better yet, a radically different altitude.

My only other suggestion is when panning up or out with gimbal or drone, don't cut to next scene until that final destination (the mountain table top) has been viewed for a few seconds. I got the feeling that just before I was rewarded with the "view at the top", it cut to the next scene. I hope that makes sense.

All in all, as a drone flyer but amateur or novice photographer, I am incredibly impressed! You got the talent for this!

Thank you so much for this nice and constructive comment. I totally agree with you. Next time I’ll do my best to follow your suggestions.
1) I’ll keep my clips long enough to show important details
2) I’ll exclude repeated or similar scenes from the final output

I really liked your approach. Have a great day!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20