Canyon Beauty

Really nice flying/editing. Loving those sphincter pucker shots...that will keep the heart rate up!!

Reactions: OOO
There is a noticeable difference in quality of music between free and purchased. Fees can be as low as $20 to $45, but this is for one end product only. If you’re making a number of videos, then free is fine. But for anything special, my strong advice would be to pay a small amount for a much better piece.
I agree. Much of my video (www.schundlerphoto.com) only has free and repeated short measures of background music. I like the way you go beyond having back ground music to where you have more unity between the music and scenes. Where do you go for your music; what internet sites?

Thanks for the input guys. I received two consistent criticisms from you (repeated scenes and shorter clips). I have considered your suggestions and here is the re-edited version. Do you see any improvement?

Last edited:
I agree. Much of my video (www.schundlerphoto.com) only has free and repeated short measures of background music. I like the way you go beyond having back ground music to where you have more unity between the music and scenes. Where do you go for your music; what internet sites?
Russ: Rather than a particular website, I think the emphasis should be on quality of composition and production value. And money - as in “how much are you willing to pay?” - is an important consideration. More isn’t necessarily better, as price is usually determined by the library provider and not the musician/composer. The fact you can already appreciate the need for unity between music and footage is half the battle. So deepen that understanding - and search, search, search for what you consider to be a gem that fits.

007: A much better start, but then I stopped watching - a first for me with your videos - because some clips were too long.

Many on the forum will disagree with me, but short is almost always best. Vikings (season 5) sometimes uses longer clips, to provide an exception to the industry rule. But their subject matter is exciting and unusual. They also deliberately use subdued colours as part of their deliberate cinematography style. And, before season 5 began, most viewers have already been engrossed by 80 previous episodes.

007: A much better start, but then I stopped watching - a first for me with your videos - because some clips were too long.

Many on the forum will disagree with me, but short is almost always best. Vikings (season 5) sometimes uses longer clips, to provide an exception to the industry rule. But their subject matter is exciting and unusual. They also deliberately use subdued colours as part of their deliberate cinematography style. And, before season 5 began, most viewers have already been engrossed by 80 previous episodes.

Trying to find the sweet spot for duration of clips :) Still experimenting...

Last edited:
Superb video, loved it. If I have one criticism its that sometimes I thought you didn't hold the view or continue it long enough to satisfy my craving for a prolonged scene that I was expecting. But saying this I hope to mimic your flying and editing skills one day. Keep up the great work.

Trying to find the sweet spot for duration of clips :) Still experimenting...
007: You’ve probably already worked this one out, but a good question to ask is “who is your audience?” Non-drone pilots plus an unknown percentage of drone pilots on this forum? Or the opposite/remaining unknown percentage of drone pilots on this forum. The first group are viewers, whereas the second group are enthusiasts. It’s all down to expectation. (Apologies if this isn’t immediately clear, but you’re smart so I’m sure you’ll get what I’m meaning.)

There’s a parallel here with amateur holiday movies, which friends/relatives have to traditionally sit through and suffer with a fake smile barely concealing their boredom.

In my case, piloting the drone is a necessity - whereas for you it’s a serious hobby. And there’s no problem or conflict with this difference. But the real issue is are you also serious about photography/cinematography as well as flying? The answer in your case is obvious. Therefore, aspire to emulate the highest industry standards whenever possible.

007: You’ve probably already worked this one out, but a good question to ask is “who is your audience?” Non-drone pilots plus an unknown percentage of drone pilots on this forum? Or the opposite/remaining unknown percentage of drone pilots on this forum. The first group are viewers, whereas the second group are enthusiasts. It’s all down to expectation. (Apologies if this isn’t immediately clear, but you’re smart so I’m sure you’ll get what I’m meaning.)

There’s a parallel here with amateur holiday movies, which friends/relatives have to traditionally sit through and suffer with a fake smile barely concealing their boredom.

In my case, piloting the drone is a necessity - whereas for you it’s a serious hobby. And there’s no problem or conflict with this difference. But the real issue is are you also serious about photography/cinematography as well as flying? The answer in your case is obvious. Therefore, aspire to emulate the highest industry standards whenever possible.

1) Thanks for this detailed comment. I got all take home messages. And yes, I’m serious about it.

2) I really liked to keep my clips under 5 seconds. Thus, no problem with that. But is there any exception of this?

I like time lapse photography and want to buy a DSLR camera. It’ll be my first DSLR camera. Do you have any suggestion!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Gordrone, post: 1324566, member: 37630]The only critique I have is you never give the viewer enough time to soak in the scene before cutting to the next. IMO distant footage should be given extra screen time to help draw the focus of the viewer.
Gordrone: One of my most trusted colleagues recently challenged me on the same subject and for the same reason. He claimed this is what the BBC wildlife documentaries would do - world leaders in their field. So I recently watched the first of three films on the greater Yellowstone ecosystem, which had some great landscapes - which a stopwatch. They kept their clips very short, even when the subject matter and film quality was outstanding. At the opposite end of the spectrum to the BBC Natural History Unit, YouTube offers the same advice if you want viewers to keep watching and not switch off - backed up with tonnes of impressive data.[/QUOTE]
I did use"IMO" in the post, however I must be borderline epileptic or am trying to focus on parts of a scene as they are presented. Rapidly changing scenery shots push me away more than hold my attention. Again "IMO"

1) Thanks for this detailed comment. I got all take home messages. And yes, I’m serious about it.

2) I really liked to keep my clips under 5 seconds. Thus, no problem with that. But is there any exception of this?

I like time lapse photography and want to buy a DSLR camera. It’ll be my first DSLR camera. Do you have any suggestion!

007: We’re using three clips of 11, 9, and 7 seconds duration at the beginning of our film - following two sets of 10 seconds text introduction - for the title sequences.

We tried using longer clips for views above the clouds, but they didn’t work.

Six seconds is fine, but we also use four and three seconds of footage so it balances out.

I think it’s great you’re getting a DSLR. I’ve always used Nikon, but Canon is also a good option. You don’t need the absolute best camera body and I’m sure you’ll be able to decide which model to get. But lenses are important because of the optics quality. If you choose Nikon, only use Nikon lenses.

007: I nearly went further above, didn’t, but am now. Consider getting a secondhand Nikon D300 body which has been professionally checked/cleaned. It won’t cost much because of a general obsession with latest models. Nikon do a remarkably good 28-300mm lens which has proven to be highly popular for travel photography. It will cost more than the body (double?) but is a lot less pricey than the pro-range lenses yet still delivers results that will please you. And it’s astonishingly compact for what it can do.

000 ,I have watched most of your videos and I happy to say they score a 0 out of 10 on my RFTSC (Reach For The Slider Count). That being a count of the the number of times I have to reach for the slider at the bottom of the video and move it along towards the end.

I think it’s an achievement in its self just keeping viewers engaged to the end. As others have said you have a great natural talent, great locations and your choice of music really works.

My thoughts after watching your footage a few times (only reaching for the slider to get a screen shot:)) are that I would have liked to see more of the interesting rock formations that you can see on the other side of the canyon. For me the close flying footage and 90 degrees to the face footage were interesting as they showed more of the unusual rock formations and also gave a sense of perspective, magnitude and grandeur.

Someone said going over the edge and down. I was thinking starting at the bottom and coming over the top perhaps and at 45-90deg to the face? It should be noted these suggestions are made from the comfort of my chair secure in the knowledge that I don’t have to pay any of your repairs.

PS What is the old square structure at the bottom.

Attachments

• Can  Rock.png
    Can Rock.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 267
  • Can Rock 2.png
    Can Rock 2.png
    873.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Can rock 4.png
    Can rock 4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 281
000 ,I have watched most of your videos and I happy to say they score a 0 out of 10 on my RFTSC (Reach For The Slider Count). That being a count of the the number of times I have to reach for the slider at the bottom of the video and move it along towards the end.

I think it’s an achievement in its self just keeping viewers engaged to the end. As others have said you have a great natural talent, great locations and your choice of music really works.

My thoughts after watching your footage a few times (only reaching for the slider to get a screen shot:)) are that I would have liked to see more of the interesting rock formations that you can see on the other side of the canyon. For me the close flying footage and 90 degrees to the face footage were interesting as they showed more of the unusual rock formations and also gave a sense of perspective, magnitude and grandeur.

Someone said going over the edge and down. I was thinking starting at the bottom and coming over the top perhaps and at 45-90deg to the face? It should be noted these suggestions are made from the comfort of my chair secure in the knowledge that I don’t have to pay any of your repairs.

PS What is the old square structure at the bottom.

Thank you so much for these kind words! I've never heard RFTSC before :) But I liked it :) At first, I thought why 0 score? Is it really that bad :) Then I understood what you meant. I'm just a hobbyist. I shot and share what I like and sometimes people like what I share. Again a huge thanks! But I won't stop here! I'll make a video of those rock formations specifically for you. Please let me know what kind of shots you like other than those mentioned above. IMO, that rectangular structure is an animal enclosure.

Last edited:
Very nicely done. I really like the editing to the soundtrack and the perfect timing of the beat/scenes.
Keep it up!

Very nicely done. I really like the editing to the soundtrack and the perfect timing of the beat/scenes.
Keep it up!

I really need feedbacks on music since it usually most difficult part of the editing for me. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues