Canyon Beauty

007: Some beautiful filming - as usual or even slightly better than usual. And the choice of music works.

I would have omitted the first clip (at least as an opener) and immediately started with the “wow” factor footage.

Reactions: OOO
Al Bany: Thank you very much.

AW: I got the message (starting with the “wow” factor footage). Thanks, one more thing learned today about filming.

007: Great. And you’ve already conquered the “how-to-keep-viewers’-attention” issue with your “close shave” flying, short edits, and novelties (e.g. leaf blowing).

Another point I almost said earlier is to minimise repetition of very similar subject matter. Sometimes it’s good to repeat, but usually it’s not. Your problem - and it’s a good one to have - is that you often have several bits of good usable footage of the same location from basically the same angle or perspective. Understandably, I’m guessing, you want to use them all or at least several. But that’s where the benefit of harsh editing comes in: decide which one bit is best (and don’t use the others just because you can). It’s the cinematographer vs. the editor - usually done by different people, thus avoiding any conflict of interest. If you can learn to be both, the benefits will be obvious.

Another point I almost said earlier is to minimise repetition of very similar subject matter. Sometimes it’s good to repeat, but usually it’s not. Your problem - and it’s a good one to have - is that you often have several bits of good usable footage of the same location from basically the same angle or perspective. Understandably, I’m guessing, you want to use them all or at least several. But that’s where the benefit of harsh editing comes in: decide which one bit is best (and don’t use the others just because you can). It’s the cinematographer vs. the editor - usually done by different people, thus avoiding any conflict of interest. If you can learn to be both, the benefits will be obvious.

Very true! In my next video you won't see a repeated scene. Sometimes you know what is wrong but you just want to hear it from someone else :) Is it normal or should I visit my doctor :)

Reactions: The Springs
The point was said so well by African wildlife. That was my thoughts. You have the talent and attitude to go far in producing great videos.

Thank you! Your comments and critics are very valuable to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlieb4
Really smooth footage there. Love how close you got to your subjects. I need to learn to do the same. Good job

Was that colour corrected at all? Any filters on the lens?

Adventurecampitelli:
Thank you very much.

Erised:
It is really a very cute canyon and also a very nice place to hike and camp. The edge of that flat rock is an amazing spot for tent camping. Thanks!

Dazzauk:
Thanks for the feedback! ND8 filter for some shots. Filmed with D-Cine (-1/-2/-2) color profile. Here we are in winter season and 2 weeks ago this area was under the snow. When I color correct my footage I usually try to give it a natural or realistic look. It is my threshold and I usually don’t go beyond that point in post. Some pro photographers say “less is more” and I’m trying to follow this rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dazzauk
Love how close you got to your subjects. I need to learn to do the same.
Dazzauk: Please, NO! 007 already provides enough heart-stopping moments for us to survive. And the deal we’ve negotiated is for 007 to supply high blood-pressure tablets and perform heart surgery on demand as and if required for all regular viewers of his videos. Can you match this pledge? ;)

If you want an answer: “Too close! But not too close to crash (again)!” :)

Dazzauk: Please, NO! 007 already provides enough heart-stopping moments for us to survive. And the deal we’ve negotiated is for 007 to supply high blood-pressure tablets and perform heart surgery on demand as and if required for all regular viewers of his videos. Can you match this pledge? ;)

If you want an answer: “Too close! But not too close to crash (again)!” :)

Thanks AW.
Yes, you can see some fancy moves in my previous videos but not in this one. Because I wanted this video to be a happy and relaxing video. Thus, I specifically focused on that issue and did my best to avoid such moves for this video. In some of the clips the drone was shaving that flat rock surface or flying in those rocky gaps and I removed all that kind of footage in post. Despite your provocative [emoji16] comment I still consider this video as a happy and relaxing video. Thus, no free BP medication or medical care for this one [emoji16][emoji16]

Again thank you so much for this nice comment!

Last edited:
007: As well as making a “best of” compilation after a year of flights, another “must” compilation will have to specifically show your best close shaves.

Start thinking of a great title now, because there are plenty of options.

And, of course, you’ll have to begin (pre-title) with a few words of introduction perhaps starting with “Health Warning:”. It could be a very funny start, followed by gripping footage.

007: As well as making a “best of” compilation after a year of flights, another “must” compilation will have to specifically show your best close shaves.

Start thinking of a great title now, because there are plenty of options.

And, of course, you’ll have to begin (pre-title) with a few words of introduction perhaps starting with “Health Warning:”. It could be a very funny start, followed by gripping footage.

“One Year in the Sky” looks like a good title for the first compilation. For the second one I need to think. I’ll put a “black box” in description and opening scene of that compilation :)

Last edited:
Very pretty footage. Only suggestion I have is to shorten it a bit.. You have several repeating scenes.
Its hard to edit our own flights because they are special. Easier for someone else. Less is more.

Thank you very much, I got the message! With 3 batteries I usually get approximately 40 minutes of usable footage and it is really hard to decide which shots to include and which ones to exclude. As I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes you know what is wrong but you just want to hear it from someone else. As a hobbyist, I am only at the beginning of my learning curve and your comments/suggestions are helping me a lot.

Last edited:
Extraordinary video ... really nice job. Some questions. I really enjoy clips showing backwards flight in narrow canyons. Did you fly backwards or fly forwards and reverse the film during editing? What drone did you use? Did you use a low contrast setting in capture to give a wide dynamic range and then adjust in post processing?

Keep these nice videos coming. They are inspirational!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl