Can't layer DNGs over HDRs

Reaction score
I had this problem with my P4 and it's now much worse with my brand new P4P. (Though not with my P3).

My work flow is to shot a 3-shot AEB DNG bracket and then process in Photomatix 5. Shooting at the 4:3 aspect ratio.

I then like to layer the resulting tone-mapped image with one of the original DNGs in Photoshop, allowing me to "paint" as much of the original DNG as I want back over the tone-mapped image. Do this all the time with architectural interiors.

Here's the problem, Photoshop/Bridge/CameraRaw applies a built-in lens correction to the Phantom's DNG and Photomatix (working with the same DNGs) does not. So the images don't line up at all and I can't composite them together.

Is there anyway to keep Adobe from applying the built-in lens correction? You'd be surprised how much of the image is cropped out from a P4P image.

Does anyone else have this problem? I know that there are lot's of HDR-ers on here.

I have made JPGs from the DNGs and then made the HDRs from those JPGs and the resulting tone mapped HDRs do then line up with the original DNGS, but it's an awkward work around and I end up with way too many copies of the same image. On a single shoot I may create 150 to 200+ final composited images, so with 3 each of DNGs and JPGs and the two versions of the HDR and the final PSD layered document it gets a little crazy!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for your attention to this alphabet soup.

Jim in the BVI

Here's a solution that works for me: Use Camera Raw to convert your multiple DNGs to TIFFs, then never touch the DNGs again. Bring the TIFFs into Photomatix or into Photoshop and layer as appropriate to do your blending -- you won't get any further lens corrections or distortions. Leave your finished master in TIFF format and make JPEGs for sharing as necessary. Yes, you will end up with at least 4 "duplicate" images, but disk space is cheap, don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl