Can't Fly at Current Location

Reaction score
I am currently staying at a campground which we always do during the summer months here in Northwest Ohio. I fly my P3A when I want and wherever I want in the vicinity at 130 feet altitude because of all the trees.

I have had people complain saying it's too noisy and intimidating and they feel I am spying on them. The people that are currently leasing the campground have no problem with me flying it but next year it is going back to the original owners.

I've been told by rumor that the owner will no longer allow flying of the quad in the campground after this season. Can the owner actually put that in his campground policy? If so, that sucks.

My only option would be to drive to the park next to the campground, off the property, and fly around the campground. After all, he doesn't own the air space.

If the campground is privately owned then the owners can place restrictions an any activity occuring ON their property. But they can't restrict you from flying OVER their property. It is my understanding that the FAA is the only authority for airspace control in the US. So unless the FAA implements a no fly zone/restricted air space over their property then the only thing the owners can legally do is restrict takeoffs/landings and other aircraft control while ON their property.

My general rule of thumb is to avoid areas where people tend to get upset over drones.

I am no lawyer, so the good news is that this opinion is at no charge to you. ;-)

Reactions: yrnosam1
My only option would be to drive to the park next to the campground, off the property, and fly around the campground. After all, he doesn't own the air space.
Question - if you already know that it's bothering the campers, why is your only option to take off from a nearby park just to fly back into the airspace over the campground? Could another option be perhaps to not fly over the campground at all?

Or am I misunderstanding? Are you are saying that you need to fly around (beyond) the campground to get to your true destination, and it was just easier to do that from inside the campground?

I have had people complain saying it's too noisy and intimidating and they feel I am spying on them.

Why not be a good fellow camper and not fly at/above the campground at all? If someone had a yapping/barking dog there and it bothered your (or intimidated you/your family) wouldn't you complain and expect the campground owners/hosts to do something about it?

I've camped for years and I always took one of my R/C aircraft with me each time until about 5 years ago when Drones became so easy to fly anyone with a credit card could get and fly one. They became a taboo word and I started leaving my R/C aircraft at home.

Plus when I go camping I'd rather not hear the buzzing sound non-stop overhead. The only exception to this is one campground that hires me to come shoot their area for marketing purposes.

Also keep in mind that you'll be the most likely culprit next year when someone complains. Is it worth either getting kicked out of not allowed to come back in the future? Is it really that important?

Reactions: Numone and Oso

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair