Can't activate P3

Reaction score
I bought a Phantom 3 professional. But can't activate my drone.I do everything in the tutorial videos on this site. I connect my phone to the controller. Turn the controller and aircraft on. The front leds stay red and the rear leds go red yellow and green over and over and beeps. I open the app and I sign in with my dji account and it doesn't let me activate anything. I can go to camera, map, academy, and user center. I follow everything the guy does in the tutorial videos. The guy plugs his stuff in and it automatically brings up the activation mode. Mine doesn't. I'm probably just missing something simple. I'm using an Android zte Lever.

I was never able to either? I've had mine for about three weeks now. Have flown several times without issue. I contacted dji and they told me I was good to go because everything was working. I was a little shocked but I'm over it I guess. The thing that bothers me is that it is not registered.

Yeah, when I go to camera, it says its "disconnected" and other videos I watch say, "Ready to fly." I didn't buy this so I could just fly it. I wanted to use the camera. Anyone else got any ideas?

Just a shot in the dark, but try very carefully unplugging the two small grey ribbon cables from the top side of the gimbal and the end that goes to the vision sensor, then carefully plug them back in. Use a small tool to lift each side back and forth to "rock" it off and back on. Just be careful not to bend any pins on the connection. I'm hoping your issue is as simple as a loose camera/gimbal connection. Good luck!!

Yeah, when I go to camera, it says its "disconnected" and other videos I watch say, "Ready to fly." I didn't buy this so I could just fly it. I wanted to use the camera. Anyone else got any ideas?

What version of the Android app are you currently using? I had this same problem (not registering) and then found out that the Android app directly available from the Google Play Store is NOT the correct version. The correct version of the app is the one found on the DJI site. You'll have to download and install it on your own, so to speak.

On the current, correct version of the app (which is v1.1.0) you should see the following icons at the bottom of the screen when you start the app:

CAMERA - DIRECTOR - STORE - USER CENTER

When you mentioned that ACADEMY is showing up on the bottom, that's when I got suspicious. I think I saw the same thing on the Google app version.

What version of the Android app are you currently using? I had this same problem (not registering) and then found out that the Android app directly available from the Google Play Store is NOT the correct version. The correct version of the app is the one found on the DJI site. You'll have to download and install it on your own, so to speak.

On the current, correct version of the app (which is v1.1.0) you should see the following icons at the bottom of the screen when you start the app:

CAMERA - DIRECTOR - STORE - USER CENTER

When you mentioned that ACADEMY is showing up on the bottom, that's when I got suspicious. I think I saw the same thing on the Google app version.

I have android 4.4 kitkat. I downloaded from the dji site you mentioned and now I have the one you said which has camera director store and user center. But I still don't see where to activate my drone. The front leds on the aircraft stay red and the rear leds flash red and yellow. When I click on camera at the top it says "disconnected." How do I know if the controller and craft are making a connection? Now I bought a new android phone because my old one was literally ancient. So now when I plug things into the usb port(which is also for the charger port) I get a list of stuff. I guess the phone wants to know what I want to do. It has charge only(charge your phone via usb), usb mass storage(transfer files between pc and extrenal sd card on andriod devices, install driver(select this option when features(connected to pc software,media device)enabled for the first time, or when they're unavailable), media device mtp(use phone as usb storage and transfer files when its connected to windows pc or mac), camera (use camera software to transfer pictures from phone to pc). I also have usb debugging enabled. What option do I want for an ar drone controller? lol Should I update firmware first?

Last edited:
I have android 4.4 kitkat. I downloaded from the dji site you mentioned and now I have the one you said which has camera director store and user center. But I still don't see where to activate my drone. The front leds on the aircraft stay red and the rear leds flash red and yellow. When I click on camera at the top it says "disconnected." How do I know if the controller and craft are making a connection? Now I bought a new android phone because my old one was literally ancient. So now when I plug things into the usb port(which is also for the charger port) I get a list of stuff. I guess the phone wants to know what I want to do. It has charge only(charge your phone via usb), usb mass storage(transfer files between pc and extrenal sd card on andriod devices, install driver(select this option when features(connected to pc software,media device)enabled for the first time, or when they're unavailable), media device mtp(use phone as usb storage and transfer files when its connected to windows pc or mac), camera (use camera software to transfer pictures from phone to pc). I also have usb debugging enabled. What option do I want for an ar drone controller? lol Should I update firmware first?

Beyond having the USB debugging turned on, I don't have any answers. Well, maybe one.

If you're getting a notification that says "disconnected," you're still not connected between your mobile device and the Phantom. If I remember correctly, the "activation" screen comes in when you install the Pilot app in your mobile device. Mine was somewhat glitchy - there is a YouTube video showing what is supposed to happen.

When I ask the version of your app, I'm referring to the Pilot app - look down in the lower right hand corner - where you see CAMERA - DIRECTOR - STORE - USER CENTER - the current, correct Android version is 1.1.0 - that number has nothing to do with the version of your operating system (KitKat or whatever). None of that shows up in the Pilot app.

Sorry I can't tell you more, but I'm not much of a tablet expert. I'm using my Galaxy S5 phone for my Phantom. I'd like something bigger but I don't want to spend the money until everything sort of settles down.

Beyond having the USB debugging turned on, I don't have any answers. Well, maybe one.

If you're getting a notification that says "disconnected," you're still not connected between your mobile device and the Phantom. If I remember correctly, the "activation" screen comes in when you install the Pilot app in your mobile device. Mine was somewhat glitchy - there is a YouTube video showing what is supposed to happen.

When I ask the version of your app, I'm referring to the Pilot app - look down in the lower right hand corner - where you see CAMERA - DIRECTOR - STORE - USER CENTER - the current, correct Android version is 1.1.0 - that number has nothing to do with the version of your operating system (KitKat or whatever). None of that shows up in the Pilot app.

Sorry I can't tell you more, but I'm not much of a tablet expert. I'm using my Galaxy S5 phone for my Phantom. I'd like something bigger but I don't want to spend the money until everything sort of settles down.

Ohhhhh. Its version 1.1.0. And yes it has camera director store and user center.

Also, my controller is connected with my drone. I have a green light on the controller.

Last edited:
So I had to wait a week to get my adapter to connect an sd card to my laptop. I did everything in the video on this site. I put the sd card in the laptop, downloaded the professional firmware, put the bin file on the sd card, put it in the drone and turn it on. The rear leds flash red yellow and green and I hear beeping. In the video, the guy doing the updates gimbal was flashing red and green. Mine doesn't. What should I do?

So I had to wait a week to get my adapter to connect an sd card to my laptop. I did everything in the video on this site. I put the sd card in the laptop, downloaded the professional firmware, put the bin file on the sd card, put it in the drone and turn it on. The rear leds flash red yellow and green and I hear beeping. In the video, the guy doing the updates gimbal was flashing red and green. Mine doesn't. What should I do?
What should you do about what?

What should you do about what?
I have been trying to activate my professional phantom 3. When i open the app, with the drone and controller turned on, there is no way to activate it or anything. Every video I watch, people turntheir stuff on and it takes them straight to the activation process. When I click on camera, it says disconnected at the top. So I connected the controller to the drone. That didn't do anything. I was told to try updating the firmware first. So I put the bin file on the sd card and into my gimbal and all it does is sit there and the rear leds flash red green and yellow and makes two beeps at a time. Beep Beep........Beep Beep.....Beep Beep...If you bump the camera, the rear leds flash yellow quickly and the beeping stops. I dont think this drone functions right.

I have been trying to activate my professional phantom 3. When i open the app, with the drone and controller turned on, there is no way to activate it or anything. Every video I watch, people turntheir stuff on and it takes them straight to the activation process. When I click on camera, it says disconnected at the top. So I connected the controller to the drone. That didn't do anything. I was told to try updating the firmware first. So I put the bin file on the sd card and into my gimbal and all it does is sit there and the rear leds flash red green and yellow and makes two beeps at a time. Beep Beep........Beep Beep.....Beep Beep...If you bump the camera, the rear leds flash yellow quickly and the beeping stops. I dont think this drone functions right.
You will have to put up with the beeps-- give it about 30 minutes and the update will finish.
There are a lot of posts on this procedure of this forum, on the DJI website and on youtube.
If you will do a little searching, all the questions regarding updating the firm ware will be posted.

Also download you Pilot App off the DJI website, not in the Playstore on your device.

If you are new to the Phantom P3, it will be a learning process.:)

Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic