Can you find my drone?

Reaction score
Last week my neighbor approached me and asked if I could find his drone. Basically he wanted me to look for his new drone that he purchased at ****** using my drone. My neighbor is a nice person and would help anybody at any time, I cannot say enough about his character.
I shortly found out that this was his first flight and has no aviation background and that he didn't understand why the drone seemed to fly in the opposite direction sometimes.
First I explained the dangers as we are in Class D airspace and are directly under the Left base for runway 21 for heavy aircraft. Then I explained the process that he would have to go through i.e. registration, finding a place to fly safely ect. Long story short we had an hour conversation about drones, how to fly, where to fly, and I invited him to come with me for instruction.
The end of the conversation led to why I cannot fly my drone to look for his. My airspace authorization for this area has expired, and even upon renewal, common sense tells me it is dangerous to fly in this specific area with heavy aircraft on base to final. At the end my neighbor could not believe that he could purchase what he thought was a toy that could lead to disastrous unintended consequences. My neighbor and I are going out to a practice area in a couple weeks, he has purchase a flight sim program and I showed him the concept of the flight controls and had a great time. I think this is so very common, what do you think?

Reactions: Astrix
Good to hear that you are taking him under your wing so to speak. It's frequently amazing how little people know in some cases. Any idea what altitude he reached and were you able to find the drone through other means?

Good to hear that you are taking him under your wing so to speak. It's frequently amazing how little people know in some cases. Any idea what altitude he reached and were you able to find the drone through other means?
He was in visual contact at low altitude, he told me that his problem was he couldn't figure out the directional control. We were really unable to search because of the snow, maybe this spring we can walk in the general area and look. Chances are he has lost it.

Reactions: Wildcatman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl