Can you beat this distance?

I have no problem taking it up to the 500m altitude limit. That in itself isn't necessarily careless.
So thank you all for getting your panties in a bind that people fly over 400ft. It happens...all the time.
And thank you fo your dudley-do-right monologues. End of discussion.

I agree with you Snerd, no matter what the Laws and COMMON SENSE, they boldly make no sense statements of flying carelessly at 662.2 ft, while more clamps will come upon the respectful flyers!

Has anybody actually checked if the channel hack actually does squat? Channel 20 is usually absent of interference. How would the channel hack change anything?

Has anybody actually checked if the channel hack actually does squat? Channel 20 is usually absent of interference. How would the channel hack change anything?
The Channel hack gives you additional frequencies to choose from in the custom mode. Depending on where you live and interference levels it can be beneficial between having a safe flight and one in which the video signal is constantly being interrupted.

Hey Buddy I don't want to question your bravery but the DJI website lists the range for the P3P at 3.1 miles. I think you need to keep going and see if you can prove the factory wrong. Just make sure you have enough battery to go over 6 miles.

P3P to 22,287' at 48% battery and still had a good signal. When I landed I only had 4% battery left, not good for the battery or my nerves. The battery limits how far you can go and get back safely.

View attachment 41268 I brought it back with 40% battery life. Furthest out I have flown - absolutely no transmission issues at all.
Can't tell if this was done in the USA or elsewhere. If you were in the USA, you flew above 400' AGL, beyond 1,500' linear distance, used no VO and could not see your quad with the unaided eye, no see and avoid capability. So the screen capture is like photos taken of that dentist who shot / killed the radio-tagged lion, proof that you did it, now all we need is a photo of you holding your TX, kneeling next to your Phantom like it was some sort of "kill" in the savannah's of Africa, you pictured as the great hunter of great flying distances you want to be known for. Sorry to harsh your mellow but its guys like you who have made this hobby/profession so damned difficult and now involves registration of quads as small as 1/2 pound. Yay! Everyone give him a big hand! And its you guys who ooooh and ahhhhh at crap like this that is going to make all that we do even more difficult. Keep it up, you'll get what's coming to you courtesy of Uncle Sam and the FAA. Thanks a lot. No, really, thanks.
I have no problem taking it up to the 500m altitude limit. That in itself isn't necessarily careless.
So thank you all for getting your panties in a bind that people fly over 400ft. It happens...all the time.
And thank you for your dudley-do-right monologues. End of discussion.
Wow, flying within rules and regs equates to being "Dudley Do Right".

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
20,625 ft Stock, channel 32, no windsurfer, had full signal, landed with 17% battery. looks like battery life is my only limitation.
Screenshot_2016-01-23-13-36-46.png

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Got 8000 feet today on CE mode in UK flying in country side.
Still had full control and full HD signal when I turned round.
Got windsurfer mod but in my back garden with trees around I get 2200 if I'm lucky.
I think it would crack 10000 feet easy
Landed with 65% battery too and that was fighting a headwind all way back

P3P to 22,287' at 48% battery and still had a good signal. When I landed I only had 4% battery left, not good for the battery or my nerves. The battery limits how far you can go and get back safely.
I'm counting the days before you post a story about losing it in the ocean/flyaway/ bird dropped like a stone etc etc. That battery will be nackered as well.

I just took a simple screen shot on my iPad. Power button and home button quick pressed then released.
If you use Litchi to fly, it actually comes with a screen recording feature though.

Hi there, how did you record your screen? I've been looking everywhere to find and app that does that. So far no luck
Thanks

"So the screen capture is like photos taken of that dentist who shot / killed the radio-tagged lion, proof that you did it, now all we need is a photo of you holding your TX, kneeling next to your Phantom like it was some sort of "kill" in the savannah's of Africa, you pictured as the great hunter of great flying distances you want to be known for".

Well put Bert - as bad, illegal and irresponsible as that type of flying is - the 'defensive stand and actual attempts at justifying these careless acts" really shows the immaturity and recklessness that will eventually burn us all with this hobby - or worse. Sad indeed!

I have a buddy who's son works for TC (Transport Canada) - which is the equivalent of the FAA in the US and he tells me they and the FAA are trolling not only this site but others as to finding threads and posts just like the ones who are bragging of such "feats".

He tells me also when flight logs and screen shots are posted along with the "bragging rights" - that is a bonus, it is just fuel for them and the case for even further more serious restrictions. They are filing all kinds of data to use and not waiting for any real life "close calls or worse" anymore - they have a proactive mind set these days rather than a reactive one when it comes to safety in the air, our drones and the future restrictions - not to mention and loving just what you guys are giving them as to evidence in backing up their cases and justification for same!

When I think of the ridiculous comparison (analogy) of "speeding your car and breaking the law that way" - Vs. what is being posted on this thread - It just makes me shudder to think of the serious consequences of one versus the other. More than losing the use of our quads and/or tighter restrictions is the thought of those consequences regarding life (and yes before anyone mentions it - speeding cars also kill).

Someone mentioned that "birds" (real birds) pose as much of a risk to aircraft as our quads do - true enough, but there is not a lot we can do about that versus that of which we do have control of!

Seriously, I get it guys - the need for challenges etc., the competition and competitive nature we all have at times regardless of what it is - however and seriously for everyone's sake (not just we who fly these) - I mean everyone, please truly give some serious thought as to the catastrophic and tragic consequences that just might be waiting out there for you and some unsuspecting, undeserving innocent who is out your LOS on your very next "record breaking altitude or distance flight"!

Last edited:
Reactions: FiveOh
If you think the analogy of Cecil the Lion or hunters is even remotely applicable then you are even more retarded than your post implies. You lose ALL credibility with such a garbage "parallel". And further, if your tinfoil hat tells you that the FAA trolls around on this site (and others) secretly recording "evidence" then you are an idiot. Your "friend" has no idea what the FAA does.
I have a friend of a friend whose sister knows a guy. Put your ******** elsewhere. How do I know? Because I'm a contractor for the FAA and have had plenty of conversations with many decision makers there. Their authority is limited by statute and Congress. Period.

Not sure about Canada, but I speak on MY experience not some fear mongering fool on this discussion board.

Edit: if your "friend" in "Transport Canada" reads this: a hearty "f$ck off" to you, ay?"

You might be so gullible - but now go post your completely unsubstantiated lies somewhere else.

"So the screen capture is like photos taken of that dentist who shot / killed the radio-tagged lion, proof that you did it, now all we need is a photo of you holding your TX, kneeling next to your Phantom like it was some sort of "kill" in the savannah's of Africa, you pictured as the great hunter of great flying distances you want to be known for".

Well put Bert - as bad, illegal and irresponsible as that type of flying is - the 'defensive stand and actual attempts at justifying these careless acts" really shows the immaturity and recklessness that will eventually burn us all with this hobby - or worse. Sad indeed!

I have a buddy who's son works for TC (Transport Canada) - which is the equivalent of the FAA in the US and he tells me they and the FAA are trolling not only this site but others as to finding threads and posts just like the ones who are bragging of such "feats".

He tells me also when flight logs and screen shots are posted along with the "bragging rights" - that is a bonus, it is just fuel for them and the case for even further more serious restrictions. They are filing all kinds of data to use and not waiting for any real life "close calls or worse" anymore - they have a proactive mind set these days rather than a reactive one when it comes to safety in the air, our drones and the future restrictions - not to mention and loving just what you guys are giving them as to evidence in backing up their cases and justification for same!

When I think of the ridiculous comparison (analogy) of "speeding your car and breaking the law that way" - Vs. what is being posted on this thread - It just makes me shudder to think of the serious consequences of one versus the other. More than losing the use of our quads and/or tighter restrictions is the thought of those consequences regarding life (and yes before anyone mentions it - speeding cars also kill).

Someone mentioned that "birds" (real birds) pose as much of a risk to aircraft as our quads do - true enough, but there is not a lot we can do about that versus that of which we do have control of!

Seriously, I get it guys - the need for challenges etc., the competition and competitive nature we all have at times regardless of what it is - however and seriously for everyone's sake (not just we who fly these) - I mean everyone, please truly give some serious thought as to the catastrophic and tragic consequences that just might be waiting out there for you and some unsuspecting, undeserving innocent who is out your LOS on your very next "record breaking altitude or distance flight"!

Last edited:
If you think the analogy of Cecil the Lion or hunters is even remotely applicable then you are even more retarded than your post implies. You lose ALL credibility with such a garbage "parallel". And further, if your tinfoil hat tells you that the FAA trolls around on this site (and others) secretly recording "evidence" then you are an idiot. Your "friend" has no idea what the FAA does.
I have a friend of a friend whose sister knows a guy. Put your ******** elsewhere. How do I know? Because I'm a contractor for the FAA and have had plenty of conversations with many decision makers there. Their authority is limited by statute and Congress. Period.

Not sure about Canada, but I speak on MY experience not some fear mongering fool on this discussion board.

Edit: if your "friend" in "Transport Canada" reads this: a hearty "f$ck off" to you, ay?"

You might be so gullible - but now go post your completely unsubstantiated lies somewhere else.

I was expecting some backlash from my post - however not as harsh as the above - I meant zero disrespect toward you "Davphys" and others with my previous post. We live in free countries and make decisions every day concerning our own lives and whatever it is we do or say for that matter. I do fully respect the laws and regulations with respect to flying these units but obviously I can't force anyone else to do the same with regard to that or anything else for that matter - if I can help as to education on safe flying I like to pass it on. I had no intention of forcing my opinions etc. on to anyone with it.

I also didn't post what I did to conjure up any "fear mongering" whatsoever but to merely point out what I had been told (hearsay or not). Just like you Davphys, with regard to TC, I can't sit here and profess to know the workings of the FAA other than what I am told and/or read about.

Calling me "gullible" with regard to my post, is your opinion and to some extent I may be when it comes to flying these along with some over compensating for rules and regulations etc. for my own safety and that of others - however I am not uneducated as to what's going on with our shared hobby and the "higher ups" who regulate it or make or even attempt to make changes by any means or source they can.

"Unsubstantiated lies"? I certainly can't speak as to under who's authority the FAA is limited and you may very well be correct with stating that Congress has that authority - I have no idea on that subject - period.

I do know however that the FAA inspectors have a protocol to follow when any UAV/UAS are depicted electronically (videos) and via the internet as to potential noncompliant actions. Briefly speaking here - That protocol starts with an "education outreach" to those depicted as doing so that includes educating (informational letter) as to compliance. If the operator remains noncompliant or is uncooperative the inspector can then step up to an enforcement and further investigation of same.

Up here in Canada there have even been reports of "personal injury" lawyers and insurance agents trolling YouTube etc. for evidence of the same. I am not a fan of this by any means as my opinion of lawyers and insurance companies........(well lets just say that's an entirely different subject). I do hope you get my drift here as to my message regarding posting these things. For the most part meant as helpful advice. I just don't think we need to be feeding any real or wannabe law makers with any reason at all (other than accidents or anything beyond our control) to further crack down on this hobby. Most importantly however, the need to fly responsible is on all of us - I'm sure you agree with that.

Bottom line on this subject Davphys - Since I have began the process of obtaining an SFOC (Special Flights Operations Certificate) here in Canada in order to fly any UAV's commercially that weigh over 2kg to include a training course for safe flying, operation of a UAV and RC certificate etc. I have been doing a lot of research, discussions and self educating with regard to safely flying these. When I read or see competition (intended or not competition) as to distance and altitude records - it scares me. I take the time to hopefully point out some things that others should be aware of and one of those things regarding the flight records and videos being posted on the internet is probably not the wisest thing to do.

I won't go into insulting or any name calling Davphys as that resolves nothing and truly you don't deserve that kind of response from me regardless of how you interpret me (not that you asked for a response). I don't mind one bit having someone bash my opinion on anything - however attacking ones character just isn't something I do.

There's an old saying I like - "don't confuse my personality or character with my attitude - my personality and character is who I am - my attitude - depends on who you are"! Since my attitude on this post is respectful toward you - it means, I see you as pissed off for certain, but likely a decent enough guy.

Having and respectfully voicing a difference of opinion is healthy and educational and I do respect that with everyone. I do also apologize since I obviously upset you with my previous post (which was not my intent). Take care and safe flying.

Edit: by the way its "eh" - not "ay" up here - lol.

Reactions: phantom1972
I apologize for being so harsh. You did not deserve that, and your thoughtful and well-reasoned response is fair.

In terms of an FAA response for compliance, I believe they can only do that for no fly zones because altitude and distance suggestions are simply that, recommendations.

On a tangential note, the long distances that people fly - which are even recorded in contests online with people who do battery mods, etc are almost entirely over areas such as ocean, lakes, or sparse desert.

Again, thank you for your reasoned and fair response.

I was expecting some backlash from my post - however not as harsh as the above - I meant zero disrespect toward you "Davphys" and others with my previous post. We live in free countries and make decisions every day concerning our own lives and whatever it is we do or say for that matter. I do fully respect the laws and regulations with respect to flying these units but obviously I can't force anyone else to do the same with regard to that or anything else for that matter - if I can help as to education on safe flying I like to pass it on. I had no intention of forcing my opinions etc. on to anyone with it.

I also didn't post what I did to conjure up any "fear mongering" whatsoever but to merely point out what I had been told (hearsay or not). Just like you Davphys, with regard to TC, I can't sit here and profess to know the workings of the FAA other than what I am told and/or read about.

Calling me "gullible" with regard to my post, is your opinion and to some extent I may be when it comes to flying these along with some over compensating for rules and regulations etc. for my own safety and that of others - however I am not uneducated as to what's going on with our shared hobby and the "higher ups" who regulate it or make or even attempt to make changes by any means or source they can.

"Unsubstantiated lies"? I certainly can't speak as to under who's authority the FAA is limited and you may very well be correct with stating that Congress has that authority - I have no idea on that subject - period.

I do know however that the FAA inspectors have a protocol to follow when any UAV/UAS are depicted electronically (videos) and via the internet as to potential noncompliant actions. Briefly speaking here - That protocol starts with an "education outreach" to those depicted as doing so that includes educating (informational letter) as to compliance. If the operator remains noncompliant or is uncooperative the inspector can then step up to an enforcement and further investigation of same.

Up here in Canada there have even been reports of "personal injury" lawyers and insurance agents trolling YouTube etc. for evidence of the same. I am not a fan of this by any means as my opinion of lawyers and insurance companies........(well lets just say that's an entirely different subject). I do hope you get my drift here as to my message regarding posting these things. For the most part meant as helpful advice. I just don't think we need to be feeding any real or wannabe law makers with any reason at all (other than accidents or anything beyond our control) to further crack down on this hobby. Most importantly however, the need to fly responsible is on all of us - I'm sure you agree with that.

Bottom line on this subject Davphys - Since I have began the process of obtaining an SFOC (Special Flights Operations Certificate) here in Canada in order to fly any UAV's commercially that weigh over 2kg to include a training course for safe flying, operation of a UAV and RC certificate etc. I have been doing a lot of research, discussions and self educating with regard to safely flying these. When I read or see competition (intended or not competition) as to distance and altitude records - it scares me. I take the time to hopefully point out some things that others should be aware of and one of those things regarding the flight records and videos being posted on the internet is probably not the wisest thing to do.

I won't go into insulting or any name calling Davphys as that resolves nothing and truly you don't deserve that kind of response from me regardless of how you interpret me (not that you asked for a response). I don't mind one bit having someone bash my opinion on anything - however attacking ones character just isn't something I do.

There's an old saying I like - "don't confuse my personality or character with my attitude - my personality and character is who I am - my attitude - depends on who you are"! Since my attitude on this post is respectful toward you - it means, I see you as pissed off for certain, but likely a decent enough guy.

Having and respectfully voicing a difference of opinion is healthy and educational and I do respect that with everyone. I do also apologize since I obviously upset you with my previous post (which was not my intent). Take care and safe flying.

Edit: by the way its "eh" - not "ay" up here - lol.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I apologize for being so harsh. You did not deserve that, and your thoughtful and well-reasoned response is fair.

In terms of an FAA response for compliance, I believe they can only do that for no fly zones because altitude and distance suggestions are simply that, recommendations.

On a tangential note, the long distances that people fly - which are even recorded in contests online with people who do battery mods, etc are almost entirely over areas such as ocean, lakes, or sparse desert.

Again, thank you for your reasoned and fair response.

Really no need for an apology although I will accept it and thank you kindly for it - see, I knew you are a decent guy.

I had no idea they had such competitions and pleased to read they do fly distance ones over areas you mentioned. I guess for me it's the altitude records and competitions some go for that is well beyond any safe or restricted (recommended) heights. Albeit there are plenty of small private planes that are supposed to climb to 1,000 feet once airborne that don't comply and that can be a scary thought also regardless of our UAV altitudes.

It is getting a little nutty up here in Canada as to TC and the supposed new regulations coming out this year. As it is over 2kg we need an SFOC (Special Flights Operations Certificate), liability insurance and identity markings on the UAV - we are restricted to 300ft height for flying and filming and 400ft for just flying and not filming (doesn't make a lot of sense does it). Some politicians are pushing for commercial UAV operators to be licensed pilots also up here - another ridiculous thought!

As mentioned I am going for my SFOC requirement for commercial UAV operation as part of the business I am in (vibration analysis) and I use a thermal imaging camera and would like to extend that to the DJI/Flir combo for aerial Infrared photography and video. So I will be into a few bucks as to meeting the expectations thus far from TC - I just don't want to see any further restrictions for both recreational and commercial flying.

Are you one of the lucky ones Davphys who lives in a state where you have decent flying weather year round? Winter time up here can be lousy for flying or anything (other than hockey) - however the cold temps make for ideal conditions for IR roof top scans where thermal imaging will detect heat loss very nicely - hey there has to be some advantages to these cold days!

Take care and safe flying -----eh!

I live on the East Coast so unfortunately (especially lately) the weather hasn't been that great- although I got some decent post blizzard pics.
While you may criticize Canada for its insensible proposals, I'm the first to admit that the US seems to care more about registering drones than performing background checks on gun owners. Talk about nonsense! And we have a presidential candidate who is a certifiable nutjob and is leading in the Republican polls.
Now THAT is crazy, eh? ;)

Really no need for an apology although I will accept it and thank you kindly for it - see, I knew you are a decent guy.

I had no idea they had such competitions and pleased to read they do fly distance ones over areas you mentioned. I guess for me it's the altitude records and competitions some go for that is well beyond any safe or restricted (recommended) heights. Albeit there are plenty of small private planes that are supposed to climb to 1,000 feet once airborne that don't comply and that can be a scary thought also regardless of our UAV altitudes.

It is getting a little nutty up here in Canada as to TC and the supposed new regulations coming out this year. As it is over 2kg we need an SFOC (Special Flights Operations Certificate), liability insurance and identity markings on the UAV - we are restricted to 300ft height for flying and filming and 400ft for just flying and not filming (doesn't make a lot of sense does it). Some politicians are pushing for commercial UAV operators to be licensed pilots also up here - another ridiculous thought!

As mentioned I am going for my SFOC requirement for commercial UAV operation as part of the business I am in (vibration analysis) and I use a thermal imaging camera and would like to extend that to the DJI/Flir combo for aerial Infrared photography and video. So I will be into a few bucks as to meeting the expectations thus far from TC - I just don't want to see any further restrictions for both recreational and commercial flying.

Are you one of the lucky ones Davphys who lives in a state where you have decent flying weather year round? Winter can time up here can be lousy for flying or anything (other than hockey) - however the cold temps make for ideal conditions for IR roof top scans where thermal imaging will detect heat loss very nicely - hey there has to be some advantages to these cold days!

Take care and safe flying -----eh!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1