Can you beat this distance?

I can't imagine what you could do with a P3A or Pro!

Well I take off from the tallest mountain around for miles and miles. I think that helps a lot being above everything around.

I cannot imagine what you could do with a P3P or P3P and an antenna mod. You would break all records.

WaytoGo! You know u gotta share yer setup!!. Getting that distance w/ standard seems to be a challenge. Brag yer Bird!

All I have is the ITELITE DBS01 Panel. I want to max it out before I try anything else. I had full signal on that flight. I turned back due to battery. The wind was rough and drained the battery fast.

4 miles out 4 miles back here, landing at 10%, stock RC and P3A.

I think probably ~9 miles round trip is the battery limit maybe a tad more under ideal wind conditions. This is for a 100% stock P3.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyhighdiver
another thing that would be beneficial to you if you want max range and battery life get back on firmware 1.19 or 1.32
1.41 and later really takes away your ability to gain speed from tailwinds 1.41 you're not going to go much faster than 36 or 37 miles an hour even with a 10 mile an hour tailwind in GPS mode. Firmware 1.19 for example with a 10 mph tailwind you will be 40+ mph that makes a huge difference when you're trying to get range.
Have you noticed anything different between the older and newer motors? Although the newer motors are quieter, they don't seem as strong and my top speeds do seem lower using firmware 1.5.3.....thought of downgrading firmware to 1.4 and maybe lower..

If I fly long distance should I fly higher for better signal?

Depends on what your flying around. All that matters is that there is a clear line of signal between your RC and the P3. Flying higher enables this if you are around and close to trees or other tall objects. Try to minimize the angle between you and the taller objects by backing away from them if your in a field. This way you can fly lower until you start to get further and further away then you'll need to ease up higher and higher.

Have you noticed anything different between the older and newer motors? Although the newer motors are quieter, they don't seem as strong and my top speeds do seem lower using firmware 1.5.3.....thought of downgrading firmware to 1.4 and maybe lower..
Remember higher means windier, stay low as long as you can then go up. Dont hold me to this but i think if you're on FW1.5.3 you can only go down to 1.4 and no lower, if you're on 1.6 you can only go down to 1.5.3

Oh yeah there's a big difference in flight time new motors vs old motors my longest flight time with my old p3p was 28 minutes the same exact lipo setup on my new p 3 p with the new motors / 32 minutes I mean dji even states that the new motors are about 10% more efficient 4 minutes flight time is at least a two mile difference when you're flying long distance. You need to get it back to 1.3 2 1.41 and later take away your ability to gain speed from a tailwind. 1.41 in later seem to lock you in at about 37 miles an hour in GPS mode with firmware 1.19 + 1.32 with a tailwind 5 miles per hour or more you're flying over 40 miles an hour 1.41 you can't hold that speed in GPS mode. Big difference

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453473736.479704.jpg

@Davphys -- how were you able to get that distance?? My app limits me to 500m .. That's pretty amazing (the distance)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's not really a debate at all anymore. We all realize there are those who will simply not follow the rules, regulations and "recommendations". They will keep doing whatever they want to do. We just can't whine and cry when we get exactly what we deserve when the new "laws" come down the pipe this year. Carry on.
I agree with you Snerd, no matter what the Laws and COMMON SENSE, they boldly make no sense statements of flying carelessly at 662.2 ft, while more clamps will come upon the respectful flyers!

Cell version or wifi? Verizon has the 16 gig mini for 329 right now for the cell one. Really contemplating it. If I should or just go for an iPad mini 2 wifi.

I have the mini with cell and love it. Be sure to shut the cell off between uses because it will burn down your battery. I have had two cases in which I had to fly home without help from the display because the ipad battery died mid-flight. Never happened before I used cell to display area maps.

I believe the second one because it is 4.5 miles out and back. The first one - not so much. Even with an extreme battery mod, a live video feed wouldn't work 8 miles out thus the only way I could see this happening is a preprogrammed mission with a ridiculous battery mod (and no live feed through most the mission)

Last edited:
You must have either beginner mode selected in The GO app or a distance limitation in the app.
Thanks!

@Davphys -- how were you able to get that distance?? My app limits me to 500m .. That's pretty amazing (the distance)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4