can people ban drones?

Recently bought my P3A. I love it. It seems that my neighbors do not however. Had it 3 days. I live in an apartment complex. So today one of the maintenance guys comes over and tells me the office told him to find the "drone person" and tell him to call us. I called and the office said that drones are "not allowed". I informed her that NJ law does not prohibit drones. She went on to say people were complaining because it had a camera and because of privacy reasons. I then told her I am an EMT, friends with a lot of police officers, and have spoken to them about the matter (I haven't really). At this point she just kept pushing how it is an invasion of privacy, I said well I am within my legal right to fly it so as long as you aren't saying your going to evict me then it is what it is. She said no we can't do that we just wanted you to know people are complaining.

So, can an apartment complex kick someone out for such a thing (is that legal). Can they make new rules and suddenly ban drones? Even though they are legal? I have no problem standing my ground, but if I get a letter saying drones are now banned do I have to abide?

So if they ban your "drone" because it has a camera and concerns over privacy, then they should ban ALL cameras be they airborne or ground-based (re: personal cameras and camera phones).

Reactions: John N Kronyak
Do you have AMA ins? if so it would do you no good because you are flying in a unsanctioned area.
And a very dangerous area, people, cars, power wires, trees, someone's pet, and the list goes on.
We all get the itch to go fly ASAP but let's be rational . Is it worth the risk? now about the contract you agreed to of corse there is no language in it about flying a RC craft, but if you damage their property or another renter's property they can and will have the right to call the Law. So why make your neighbors mad at you , you do have to live with them? I did not write this to make you mad or to offend you .
Just to make you think , peace love and may drones rule the world !

Recently bought my P3A. I love it. It seems that my neighbors do not however. Had it 3 days. I live in an apartment complex. So today one of the maintenance guys comes over and tells me the office told him to find the "drone person" and tell him to call us. I called and the office said that drones are "not allowed". I informed her that NJ law does not prohibit drones. She went on to say people were complaining because it had a camera and because of privacy reasons. I then told her I am an EMT, friends with a lot of police officers, and have spoken to them about the matter (I haven't really). At this point she just kept pushing how it is an invasion of privacy, I said well I am within my legal right to fly it so as long as you aren't saying your going to evict me then it is what it is. She said no we can't do that we just wanted you to know people are complaining.

So, can an apartment complex kick someone out for such a thing (is that legal). Can they make new rules and suddenly ban drones? Even though they are legal? I have no problem standing my ground, but if I get a letter saying drones are now banned do I have to abide?
There are many open spaces to fly a drone. You are legally allowed to fly there but why thow gasoline on a fire and make your neighbors angry ?

So if they ban your "drone" because it has a camera and concerns over privacy, then they should ban ALL cameras be they airborne or ground-based (re: personal cameras and camera phones).

Selfie sticks. Especially selfie sticks.
Cause what if the neighbor's little brat ties his phone to a stick and takes pictures of me chugging beer in my pool.
Either that or we all need higher fences.

Dude what do you expect. Assume someone is taking a camera in his hand is walking around your window. You will be bothered right. So it is legal as long as u r not hunting the people's privacy. I am from DUbai and here the law says you can fly in open places but not in residential areas. And i think it is viable as it is a camera and can shoot anything that comes its way and it is natural that if you are shooting someones apartment and it is hunting there privacy it is illegal.

you should hope so you will get paid.and its your right!understand that john the public this poor person is being harassed by neighbors and being bullied by his landlord .look if we do not fight and i mean fight to keep this right .rest ashured they will take it away.i spend thousands on a legitimate hobby that anyone can enjoy,but im not releiving mine to anyone anywhere ever.its time to stop these people tell them to mind their own buisness.before some idiot with one shows them what they could be scared of.as always keep it legal two wrongs never make a right.if they start the eviction process there are lawyers who would love the case.they have no grounds unless expressly written in your lease.(but moving sucks)

Your being targeted because as an individual, your an easy shot. Bet they don't complain about aircraft or cameras at every intersection, on every street, and every building. So they go for a single enthusiast of aerial photography , like yourself, because they're frustrated like the rest of us. Our privacy has been grossly invaded for a long time.As far as I would be concerned, if they don't like it, tough.Take the fight somewhere else. My drone has brought me a great amount of enjoyment as an avid photographer.(A P3A) I won't put
up with the inevitable torrent of overbearing regulation. If others want to play the blame game on rebels for losing their right to fly, than join the fight. The Gov is gonna get ya one way or the other, probably through your wallets.

you should hope so you will get paid.and its your right!understand that john the public this poor person is being harassed by neighbors and being bullied by his landlord .look if we do not fight and i mean fight to keep this right .rest ashured they will take it away.i spend thousands on a legitimate hobby that anyone can enjoy,but im not releiving mine to anyone anywhere ever.its time to stop these people tell them to mind their own buisness.before some idiot with one shows them what they could be scared of.as always keep it legal two wrongs never make a right.if they start the eviction process there are lawyers who would love the case.they have no grounds unless expressly written in your lease.(but moving sucks)
Thanks for saying more of the way I feel, OH hallowed Penguinmeister.

Good morning to all...an apartment complex does not have the right to ban owning a sUAV...the reason people get upset..is because they are uninformed about sUAV's...
1st...we are at fault for calling sUAV "drones"...they are not drones...drones spy on people, and then kill them...we fly sUAV's.
2nd...the general public is uninformed about sUAV's...
3rd....some sUAV operators are idiots...flying in restricted areas, interfering with fire fighting operations, etc, etc, etc,..and that's all you hear about...never any good news...like "SWARM":

I usually fly in public areas...like unrestricted parks, beaches, marina's...just about anywhere I want to...sometimes people will get an attitude...that's when I invite them to take a look at my sUAV and discuss their concerns...99% of the time...they change their attitudes...once they understand...that you can't really see them (unless you're flying to close to them)...anyways...I think we need to educate the general public...and not fight with them...

I would consider shooting a video outside your own apartment, showing what the drone can and cannot see. I would also shoot the drone with a video camera on the same flight, so they can see and hear just how obvious/loud/bright it is. Post the video on YouTube, so people can see what a bad spying/voyeur platform a drone is. Put up flyers telling people to watch the video.

your land lord can only force you to not fly in your housing area if:
1. when signing your lease or rental agreement it specifically states "No flying of drones" etc
2. If there are signs posted on the premisis stating "No flying of drones" etc
3. Or it is governed by local or Fed agencies for no flying in your area like a "No fly zone" etc.

If I have mssed one please pipe in guys

Rental restrictions vary but generally if the complex is on privately owned property you can be prevented from take-off/landing from it regardless of a Lease agreement. It would be covered under nuisance, noxious activity, etc. clauses.

Could you imagine a document listing EVERYTHING you can or cannot do?

Just from the safety standpoint alone I could imagine them being prevented from operation at the complex.

I'm sure each area is very different but at least here in good ole North Carolina the landlord doesn't have to give an "exact reason" other than the tenant has knowingly become a nuisance to the majority of the other tenants.

They can't "Ban" your from owning the aircraft but it's private property and they can not allow you to operate it on their property.

It won't help to get the other tenants upset, so what I would suggest, is to try to talk to some of them and show them some sample pictures of what you are taking with your Phantom. Once they see what the pictures/video looks like, they may not be so dead against flying nearby. I guess living in an apartment has some drawbacks and when they see a "DRONE" they seem to automatically think of it as a negative thing. That's thanks to the news media! Good luck

Reactions: pchin2
try to talk to some of them and show them some sample pictures of what you are taking with your Phantom. Once they see what the pictures/video looks like, they may not be so dead against flying nearby.

Good suggestion! Most folks have no idea what drone is about. They have the wrong assumption. Same as my wife & colleagues. Once they saw my video, there were amazed & totally have different view on drone!

12088194_10153128308635778_641022745507925643_n.jpg

And building cams and traffic signal cams and weather cams and on and on.You can't even walk in the woods anymore without the fear of being watched by game cams. So why single out UAV's. Because it's a nice fresh source of Government income just waiting to be tapped. Heard in about a month we will be required to register our UAV's just like an automobile. Next will be mandatory liability insurance with the usual Gov kickbacks.And maybe even licenses and yearly physicals and random drug testing. Where does it all end. Not me.The government agencies can go F**k themselves. Gotta take a stand eventually.

Reactions: R2-D2
And building cams and traffic signal cams and weather cams and on and on.You can't even walk in the woods anymore without the fear of being watched by game cams. So why single out UAV's. Because it's a nice fresh source of Government income just waiting to be tapped. Heard in about a month we will be required to register our UAV's just like an automobile. Next will be mandatory liability insurance with the usual Gov kickbacks.And maybe even licenses and yearly physicals and random drug testing. Where does it all end. Not me.The government agencies can go F**k themselves. Gotta take a stand eventually.
You're in the minority, my friend. Most will run to line up like good little subjects to submit to whatever .gov tells them to do. Any kind of dissent has been practically taught out of today's generation. They know only to hide in place and beg for their lives.

Thanks for the input guys. I was a little heated at first since I just got it and wanted to fly it. I got a couples days worth of footage around here and don't really have a desire to fly around here anymore anyways. I just didnt like the idea of someone telling me i can't do something that is perfectly legal. But I will play nice for the good of the order!

Great idea. Tell office you are going to start flying from other locations, but first, you would like to make them an aerial documentation of the property that they can have to show future prospective residents. 150 ft should be a nice overview.

Reactions: hamptodm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31