can people ban drones?

Recently bought my P3A. I love it. It seems that my neighbors do not however. Had it 3 days. I live in an apartment complex. So today one of the maintenance guys comes over and tells me the office told him to find the "drone person" and tell him to call us. I called and the office said that drones are "not allowed". I informed her that NJ law does not prohibit drones. She went on to say people were complaining because it had a camera and because of privacy reasons. I then told her I am an EMT, friends with a lot of police officers, and have spoken to them about the matter (I haven't really). At this point she just kept pushing how it is an invasion of privacy, I said well I am within my legal right to fly it so as long as you aren't saying your going to evict me then it is what it is. She said no we can't do that we just wanted you to know people are complaining.

So, can an apartment complex kick someone out for such a thing (is that legal). Can they make new rules and suddenly ban drones? Even though they are legal? I have no problem standing my ground, but if I get a letter saying drones are now banned do I have to abide?

No, you told them you were an EMT hoping they would give you some lenience. Drones are still such a grey area especially when it comes to privacy, please in the future do our PROFESSION a favour and don't embarrass us by saying you are a first responder. Respect peoples privacy and go somewhere open and safer like a field, that way you can help protect respect for drone pilots. See the trend here? You don't always have to give people a hassle.

Technically, the apartment complex has no authority over what happens to your drone once it leaves the ground. Only the FAA can regulate objects that fly. However, your apartment complex can regulate whether drones take off or land on the properties. The National Park system has outlawed the take off and landings of drones from National Park properties, but they cannot stop anybody from launching at adjacent properties and flying over the parks.

You need to buy a good travel case and plan outings to various locations where launching and landing are permitted. You might find a private or commercial property near you where this is allowed.

As others have said, regardless of your rights to fly, you need to show sensitivity to the fears of others. I find that people who initially get upset eventually see how benign drones are once they understand they are not used for spying on people, as that is illegal. You cannot fly a drone over someone's property to film them if you don't have permission, but you can fly through unrestricted airspace to get to a photographic venue.

If you live in a densely populated area, you can't fly the drone anyway. You have to be in an open area where you can have eye contact with the drone at all times and not be flying over people's heads.

Find a remote place to go to and have fun. Share your videos with your neighbors and show them your camera is for creating art. They may eventually come around.

Reactions: Nesher
Haha... I'm sure everyone in your complex has a cellphone with a camera on it. Is that invasion of privacy if they use it outside their homes? Flying overhead is harmless. I don't get why people cry so much when there are satellites orbiting the earth.

my thoughts exactly. the paparazzi harass people on a daily basis. I fly a camera hundreds of feet in the air and people are worried about privacy

There are plenty of places to fly without flying at your apartment.. The best thing to do is keep a low profile and enjoy flying your P3. You will not be the winner here-- if you insist on fighting them-- even if it is "legal". Next thing, they will be complaining to police and then the township-- and yes the township can then pass ordinances that will prohibit flying in certain areas. Or they may already have privacy ordinances in effect.
jesus. yeah I didn't know they could take it that far.

You could email them some of your videos to give them an idea of what you are actually recording. A lot of people think all drones have zooming capabilities on the cameras and we can spy on them in their bedroom from 400 feet in the air.

i actually thought of doing something like that. im too scared to fly below 100 feet because of all the trees. if they only knew.

Just play their game and go fly somewhere else if you really like the building you live in. Upset them and you can pretty bet they will have some "reason" to not renew your lease.

This reminds me of an old motto "Don't poop where you eat". Sometimes the fight is better avoided even though you could probably win... at least for now.

Reactions: hamptodm
Can you own a dog in your apartment?
Dogs are legal to own but many apartments ban them, and sneaking one in can get you evicted.
its not illegal now, so it just seems wrong and illegal to suddenly add a new rule. like a cop saying oh your doing 55 in a 55 just kidding i just changed the speed limit to 50.

what do you guys think of making flyers and putting them in people's mail boxes or posting them with my email to provide proof of videos I have taken, maybe even offering services if I am around?

Reactions: Mike Mauk
No, you told them you were an EMT hoping they would give you some lenience. Drones are still such a grey area especially when it comes to privacy, please in the future do our PROFESSION a favour and don't embarrass us by saying you are a first responder. Respect peoples privacy and go somewhere open and safer like a field, that way you can help protect respect for drone pilots. See the trend here? You don't always have to give people a hassle.

Not really sure where you were going with this but I don't think I was embarrassing anyone by my statement. People are typically more trusting of those in public service. The purpose of stating that I am a first responder was to indicate I am less likely to do something stupid or harass someone. Call it a stereotype if you want but if you were to choose between a first responder and a kid working at mcdonalds who do you think would be assumed to be the peeping tom? I work WITH police daily, it is not embarrasing to let people know that, and it is not wrong of me to observe that people will be more trusting knowing you are in a profession such as mine. Im sure you have never told anyone you are a first responder. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Taking off from home will get tedious soon anyway, as your interest matures and you don't feel need to hone the flying skills you'll probably mainly use it elsewhere.
Must say if someone else was frequently buzzing about close to your house it would soon get annoying.

I live in HOA controlled community and they recently enacted a ban on all RC vehicles operated within the property. Kids can't even drive a small RC car in front of their homes. I guess management wants them bored and just hanging out looking for something to do? Sad...

So, it probably seems like I’m always spamming for AMA but it’s a tremendous benefit to have a “safe haven” where a pilot can go test fly when adding something new, practicing useful AP maneuvers or just enjoy flying without disturbing and/or pissing people off.

Do I fly locations other than the boring old AMA sanctioned field? Of course. But now when I choose to lift off and photograph something in a new location I’m proficient enough that I’m up/down, got my shots and outta there before anybody even realizes what happened.

I live in HOA controlled community and they recently enacted a ban on all RC vehicles operated within the property. Kids can't even drive a small RC car in front of their homes. I guess management wants them bored and just hanging out looking for something to do? Sad...

So, it probably seems like I’m always spamming for AMA but it’s a tremendous benefit to have a “safe haven” where a pilot can go test fly when adding something new, practicing useful AP maneuvers or just enjoy flying without disturbing and/or pissing people off.

Do I fly locations other than the boring old AMA sanctioned field? Of course. But now when I choose to lift off and photograph something in a new location I’m proficient enough that I’m up/down, got my shots and outta there before anybody even realizes what happened.
Someone complained last week that they went to join an AMA sanctioned flying club but were asked to fly a circle and a figure 8 (common moves to prove you can follow a flight pattern, control your aircraft, and hopefully stay out of the way of other pilots), but he was unable to do either. He commented that the Phantoms were "linear flyers" and not meant to fly a circle or figure 8. A few other pilots chimed in with their agreement.
It still leaves me speechless that there are pilots that not only can't maneuver a simple circle pattern, but think that our drones can't fly such a pattern.
IMO such pilots are potentially dangerous. We all need to know how to control and maneuver our drones under any and all circumstances. I can't think of a better or safer place to hone these skills than at an AMA sanctioned flying field.

Being able to fly used to be a requirement for flight. Not so much with today's "assisted/GPS guides/RTH aircraft". If you have a credit card you can be a Phantom Operator but you still need to learn to FLY in order to be a pilot.

If you can't integrate with the current flying guidelines (flying in a pattern should be step #2 after learning to take off and land) then you shouldn't be flying the aircraft anywhere at any time.

Sorry for the rant :)

Yeah, and if you're setting off a toy rocket, you should inform NASA.
And RC cars require a drivers licence and registration.

Pretty sure you didn't read your lease when you moved it... 99% don't. But I guarantee you that in your lease, it states that they can serve you a 30 day notice to vacate without cause. My wife's a district property manager for several apartment complexes.. she knows a dozen legal ways to evict you easily.... and quickly. She laughed when I read the OP's post ... "I'd have him gone... just like that" *snaps finger.

You live in an apartment community... just play nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.