Can M210 take off with error compas in Atti mode?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need some advise before perfoming a LNG inspection. As part of this job I need to launch my M210 from an offshore gas terminal. Flying the drone will not be a problem, the issue comes when i'll need to take off from the terminal, full of steel that will cause magnetic compass error. Do you have any advise to make it work the more safly possible (as i can't launch from somwhere else, the terminal is in the middle of the sea). I heard about taking off using the Atti mode, is it gonna work? Tks

Do you have any advise to make it work the more safely possible (as i can't launch from somwhere else, the terminal is in the middle of the sea). I heard about taking off using the Atti mode, is it gonna work? Tks
The potential problem is that the IMU takes it's initial values from the compass.
If the compass is deflected by nearby steel, the IMU can be initialised with a false value.
That causes big problems when after launching, the compass is no longer affected by the steel and reads correctly.
The flight controller has big problems dealing with the conflicting directional data from the IMU and compass.

If you launched in atti mode, the IMU would have still picked up its initial values from the compass and the same problem would still occur.

The solution is to prevent the compass giving a false reading by keeping a good separation between the compass and the steelwork.
Is there a way you could launch from a plastic or wood table/bench etc that kept the drone more than 1 metre above the steelwork?

You could confirm that the drone's compass isn't affected by steelwork, by having the drone facing a known compass direction at startup and confirming that the drone icon in your map or radar display is also facing that compass direction.
ie. If the drone is pointing east, drone icon should also facing east.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan