CAN I SHOOT DOWN A DRONE?

Reaction score
Last edited:
I don't know! I haven't seen how well you shoot yet! ;)
Whether you may, if you can, is a better question!
Right now, the FAA considers all drones aircraft.
Shooting down any aircraft anywhere will get you in very hot water, and you will, at a very minimum, be civilly liable to the owner for the cost of replacement!
Just discharging a firearm itself is a crime in many places!
Don't do it!:cool:

Last edited:
I don't know! I haven't seen how well you shoot yet! ;)
+1 Best answer.

Right now, the FAA considers all drones aircraft.
Shooting down any aircraft anywhere will get you in very hot water, and you will, at a vey minimum, be civilly liable to the owner for the cost of replacement!
I wish this were true, but as of right now its only sort of true. Discharge a shotgun into the wing of a light single flying over your property or the belly of a helicopter flying over your property, or even just threaten to discharge a shotgun into either, and I can just about guarantee you that you will end up having a very pointed conversation with an individual that has a federal ID.

Do the same with a drone, and you will likely tangle with a local LEO who has a problem with you discharging a firearm in a careless/reckless manner, but the feds couldn't really care less at this point.

This is something that troubles me quite a bit. As of right now the FAA has decided that drones fall into their wheelhouse and thus they are able to dictate what I can and cannot do with one just as they do when I fly real aircraft. And that's fine. But so far, they are not also providing an equal level of protection when it comes to the general public interfering with and/or committing acts of aggression against said aircraft. And that's not fine.

If you're going to regulate me flying a drone the same way you regulate me flying any other aircraft, you'd better make **** sure you also prosecute Jethro just as much when he takes a shot at my drone or even makes a threat of it as you do when Jethro takes a shot at my airplane or makes a threat of it.

Reactions: SteveMann
Amen to that sentiment. Yesterday I unwittingly got into an incredibly heated Facebook argument with a small collection of Jethros about the Kentucky drone issue. They were just resolute that all drone pilots are spies trying to get an eyeful of their kids or property or whatever, and kept repeating how they couldn't wait to shoot one down themselves. I provided YouTube and other links explaining there's a whole community of aerial photography pros that share the same privacy concerns and would never do such a thing, and that's when they got threatening and started the name calling. I'm beginning to understand there seems to be a real irrational feeling a lot of people have about these things and it really caught me off guard. I think part of it is that we call them "drones" instead of quad copters... and intellectually lazy people tend to react emotionally to buzz words. Anyway, lesson learned and yes let's hope the FAA comes up with a coherent policy that protects everybody.

Unfortunately, no FAA policy, rule, or guideline will change the irrational paranoia, attitude, and feelings of the uneducated masses about our harmless drones. Best to find a discrete concealed launch and landing point, launch, get your video, and get out. The quicker you get the bird up in the air to 400 feet, the better. Fly to your destination with a clear transmitter line of sight and maintain it throughout. If they can't find you and your transmitter, they can't stop you. :cool: If they follow the bird back to you, you didn't start from far enough away! You have a minimum of a 1.2 mile range. Use it! That can even be pushed to 2.5 miles under ideal conditions. "I didn't do it. I wasn't there. Besides, nobody saw me!" :D

Unfortunately, no FAA policy, rule, or guideline will change the irrational paranoia, attitude, and feelings of the uneducated masses about our harmless drones. Best to find a discrete concealed launch and landing point, launch, get your video, and get out. The quicker you get the bird up in the air to 400 feet, the better. Fly to your destination with a clear transmitter line of sight and maintain it throughout. If they can't find you and your transmitter, they can't stop you. :cool: If they follow the bird back to you, you didn't start from far enough away! You have a minimum of a 1.2 mile range. Use it! That can even be pushed to 2.5 miles under ideal conditions. "I didn't do it. I wasn't there. Besides, nobody saw me!" :D

What you're advocating here is pure rubbish.

Last edited:
Fortunately for me what I do is mostly on site filming for film/ video so my risk factor from hillbilly gunfire is relatively low - not so much a concern for me. I just found it to be alarming - the uninformed and paranoid way that these people seem to react about drones. Maybe somebody should market tin foil anti-drone hats for these folks, I suspect they'd snap them up! :)

Reactions: Canadian
What you're advocating here is pure rubbish.
Really? You would rather launch right in front of people who would interfere with your absolute right to legally fly? Good luck with that approach!

Last edited:
Fortunately for me what I do is mostly on site filming for film/ video so my risk factor from hillbilly gunfire is relatively low - not so much a concern for me. I just found it to be alarming - the uninformed and paranoid way that these people seem to react about drones. Maybe somebody should market tin foil anti-drone hats for these folks, I suspect they'd snap them up! :)
I, too, have been surprised and originally caught off guard by the reactions of even friends to the P3P 4K videos I shared with them. They were more concerned about potential invasion of privacy in the high quality video, than in appreciating the extraordinary detail of landscape aerial photography. Maybe I need new friends! ;)

How about a beanie with a propeller on top?

--zigs

I, too, have been surprised and originally caught off guard by the reactions of even friends to the P3P 4K videos I shared with them. They were more concerned about potential invasion of privacy in the high quality video, than in appreciating the extraordinary detail of landscape aerial photography. Maybe I need new friends! ;)

I have no problem whatsoever flying with people around and I don't have to fly over them either. With the lens I am use on my GoPro there's no need to fly over any one. I do get inquires from people asking about the equipment none of which have been negative and I have been flying for 14 months. So quit hiding under a rock and yes maybe you do need new friends.

I have no problem whatsoever flying with people around and I don't have to fly over them either. With the lens I am use on my GoPro there's no need to fly over any one. I do get inquires from people asking about the equipment none of which have been negative and I have been flying for 14 months. So quit hiding under a rock and yes maybe you do need new friends.
While flying the drone right out in the open, you are inviting unneeded, and, for me, unwanted attention. I don't fly to grandstand, and I am not there to educate the public. I just want to get my video. The incessant questions of the curious are a distraction during my flying and videography, and especially during landing. If the operator is watching their flight from a good vantage point a block away, instead of in full view, then it's a lot easier! Each to his own, though.

While flying the drone right out in the open, you are inviting unneeded, and, for me, unwanted attention. I don't fly to grandstand, and I am not there to educate the public. I just want to get my video. The incessant questions of the curious are a distraction during my flying and videography, and especially during landing. If the operator is watching their flight from a good vantage point a block away, instead of in full view, then it's a lot easier! Each to his own, though.

Your paranoid and I'm not and I get the footage I am after without worrying who sees me in the process.

Your paranoid and I'm not and I get the footage I am after without worrying who sees me in the process.
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really after you! ;-) Seriously, though, the incessant questions about the equipment are a real distraction while flying. I am not there to sell quadcopters, pick up chicks, or conduct a PR campaign for responsible drone flying. I also don't want to deal with anyone who sees me and decides to tell me I can't fly there, especially under color of authority, backed up by a badge and a gun. Never argue with a guy with a gun. Why wave a red flag in front of the bull? Each to their own. There is more than one way to skin a cat! Whatever works for you!

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really after you! ;-) Seriously, though, the incessant questions about the equipment are a real distraction while flying. I am not there to sell quadcopters, pick up chicks, or conduct a PR campaign for responsible drone flying. I also don't want to deal with anyone who sees me and decides to tell me I can't fly there, especially under color of authority, backed up by a badge and a gun. Never argue with a guy with a gun. Why wave a red flag in front of the bull? Each to their own. There is more than one way to skin a cat! Whatever works for you!

Funny but you're the one who has problem with people and those with a badge and gun. Point is if your not doing anything wrong why hide.

Reactions: Andy Collins
Funny but you're the one who has problem with people and those with a badge and gun. Point is if your not doing anything wrong why hide.
Because even when you aren't doing anything wrong, you can still be challenged because of the attention you are drawing to yourself. Overzealous security guards can wreak havoc with your flight plans, and make you wish you had launched out of their view. I have no problem with cops, but why put yourself in the position of forcing them to deal with you? When they use their "discretion" to tell you that you have to leave when your bird is still in the air, but if you had launched a block away, they wouldn't have said anything, you'll understand. Until then, happy flying.

Nothing wrong with launching discretely. I mostly do my work on large private sites but sometimes will test app features at a small local park during times of little public use (no softball or soccer league games going on) just to avoid unnecessary attention.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4