Can I fly ???

Reaction score
For quite sometime I have wanted to purchase a Mavic drone but have been somewhat confused/concerned about my ability to fly it lawfully locally. I do not plan on flying it overly high (i.e. certainly under 400ft) and not away anywhere near distance of the stated range. Mostly just around my house to get the feel expertise and then hopefully vacations and/or to find some day trip to areas to more fully appreciate the possibilities of this amazing technology.

So I am including a screenshot (from b4ufly) so after a look at my local map someone (more knowledgeable than me) might clarify my limits/possibilities or outright "you know what forget it... you'll never fly legally in your area"...

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190425-141056.jpg
    Screenshot_20190425-141056.jpg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 183
I never trust those apps that show aircraft,,never seem to be accurate, probly looped recording.of course you can fly,,everyone can fly,,check with your local council on rules and regulations, you don't have to fly at 400ft ...Mavic good drone and should do you well,,can you fly a toy drone ok well these mavics and phantoms almost fly themselves,,,main thing keep to basic rules and enjoy

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I recommend you check with the app AirMap. It shows the air space in more detail than B4UFly. If you are in Saginaw, Michigan, and not the one in Minnesota, then AirMap says you probably have flying space in the city itself (see attached image). Stay out of SHIAWASSEE NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE south of the city, and stay five miles away from the several airports surrounding the rest of Saginaw. AirMap will give you the phone numbers for each airport you need to check with if it is permissible to fly closer to a given airport but maybe lower than 100 feet. Bay City has an AMA field where you may be able to fly. It's operated by the Flying Eagles. See their website for more information (FLYING EAGLES RC CLUB | Academy of Model Aeronautics)
Saginaw.jpg

I recommend you check with the app AirMap. It shows the air space in more detail than B4UFly. If you are in Saginaw, Michigan, and not the one in Minnesota, then AirMap says you probably have flying space in the city itself (see attached image). Stay out of SHIAWASSEE NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE south of the city, and stay five miles away from the several airports surrounding the rest of Saginaw. AirMap will give you the phone numbers for each airport you need to check with if it is permissible to fly closer to a given airport but maybe lower than 100 feet. Bay City has an AMA field where you may be able to fly. It's operated by the Flying Eagles. See their website for more information (FLYING EAGLES RC CLUB | Academy of Model Aeronautics)View attachment 110839
Appreciate the feedback... I should have included my area... I'm actually in Fort worth, TX

Hi I’m in CANADA. We have an airspace finder which I attached which shows us exactly, using a specific position, what airspace we are in. Once you put In the filters example: below 700’ for drones which are actually below 400’ and then you hover your mouse over the spot you’re at, it will give you the specific air space code and that will tell you if you’re in a space where you can fly.
Ask American friends on this forum to direct
You to the airspace finder for the USA.
I hope this helps and is not
Too confusing.
Happy flying [emoji41]

Tried AirMap and it was another good resource such as B4UFLY (albeit both are a bit overwhelming for a Noobie such as myself)... this one referred to by NAMAPA above sounds like one worth a look... anyone know the link to the USA version to which he refers ?

Tried AirMap and it was another good resource such as B4UFLY (albeit both are a bit overwhelming for a Noobie such as myself)... this one referred to by NAMAPA above sounds like one worth a look... anyone know the link to the USA version to which he refers ?

Hi
I did some searching for you and concluded that B4UFLY (for me) would be the best resource. I am also fairly new but if you spend some time and go through the app and learn to use it, it will give you all the info and action needed about any specific air space you’d want To fly in.
Good luck and happy flying.
[emoji41]

Under FAA 14 CFR Part 107 you can fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft within 5 miles of an airport. You must call the airport and notify them that you are flying. If is it Class B or C airspace then you need to get permission to fly from Air Traffic Control. Look at Option 2 under the following link. Flying Near Airports

Under FAA 14 CFR Part 107 you can fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft within 5 miles of an airport. You must call the airport and notify them that you are flying.

Easy there... we're mixing our terms... under Part 107 (which is for NON HOBBY Operations) you fly according to the Airspace you're in... under Section 336 (which is for HOBBY Operations and this is going to change when the new rules go into place soon....) you are to notify if within 5 miles of an airport.

If is it Class B or C airspace then you need to get permission to fly from Air Traffic Control. Look at Option 2 under the following link. Flying Near Airports

Even in Class B (Class C was never added to this original caveat) you currently just notify. The version on their website citing PERMISSION if in Class Bravo has since been removed.

You are correct. This is what happens when you try to answer a question with little sleep and not nearly enough coffee.

LOL it happens to the best of us :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31