can i fly over an empty stadium?

Reaction score
I wanted to do a quick fly over of the M&T Bank stadium in Baltimore. It's not even football season, it interferes with no airports, and all the "can I fly here" sites say it is ok. Anyone?

It's private property.
Best to get permission first.

that's true because if I asked and said the word drone, it almost sounds criminal

that's true because if I asked and said the word drone, it almost sounds criminal

So don't use the word "drone." Rather, I'd tell the landowner you are going to take some spectacular video and stills of the stadium with your remote mobile camera and would love to share them with the owners for whatever use they desire.

While I understand the asking forgiveness part, I think that lends to bad press and interesting city council meetings...

Reactions: iAm
Here is the applicable FAA rule: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_3621.html

It's mostly unreadable but this is the pertinent information: "COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS; INCLUDING PARACHUTE JUMPING, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT AND REMOTE CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT, ARE PROHIBITED."

It is not private property, as though that makes a difference. (It doesn't). Permission is not required by any rule, but if you really want to shake that hornet's nest, the stadium is owned by the Maryland Stadium Authority, I.E, the State of Maryland. The MSA leases the stadium for many different activities like concerts, high-school games, monster truck exhibitions, etc.

Reactions: Chicago1
Reactions: snerd
As usual, according to the FAA the short answer is NO.
See here - https://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/#qn3

It is a bit confusing though - at first it says "No. FAA guidance says that model aircraft flights should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas."

But then they go on to say that it's only forbidden during the TFRs (mentioned in a comment above) and only for stadiums with a capacity of 30,000 or more, and only for specific events (MLB, NFL, NCAA Div 1 football, or motor speedway event) so if I understand it correctly it wouldn't apply for a soccer game for example, or if there was some kind of a concert going on.

Last edited:
The other question might be what are you going to do with the video?
Post it on YouTube or enjoy it personally?

I'd think you'd be likely to get no problems unless you start posting it all over the place.
(Or it crashed in the stadium)
Even then, maybe not. Might want to check city ordinances?

2 cents.

"Might want to check city ordinances?" When will you get it? Cities cannot regulate flight. PERIOD. When an aircraft leaves the ground it's in the FAA's jurisdiction. Please stop making up rules for them.

It is unfortunate that someone may be completely legal but still face fines or even jail time while your town figures out that they can't regulate flight. But I emphasize these things in hope that someone may actually go to their town meetings where such restrictions are discussed and nip it in the bud before they pass their unenforceable laws. It amazes me how many people complain about their government who didn't even bother to vote, let alone participate in the process of making laws.

"You can fly over anything if you get permission." is flat out wrong. Only the FAA has jurisdiction over flight. If the flight is legal under FAA rules and guidelines, permission from anyone is not required.

" so if I understand it correctly it wouldn't apply for a soccer game for example, or if there was some kind of a concert going on." Technically, you may have a defense if the FAA sends you a letter that says you have violated FAA NOTAM FDC 4/3621. because it makes the mistake of specifically naming the prohibited activities. But if you think it is for safety purposes, that's only an excuse. The named activities in the TFR are all events that are likely to be on broadcast TV networks. The same goes with the Disney TFR - as if Knotts Berry Farm and Universal Studios amusement parks are safer to fly over??

Reactions: donk and NRJ
"Might want to check city ordinances?" ?

"Might want to check city ordinances?" When will you get it? Cities cannot regulate flight. PERIOD. When an aircraft leaves the ground it's in the FAA's jurisdiction. Please stop making up rules for them.

Oh boy...here we go again....
Steve,
Do you even realize how obnoxious you can be?
I'm not even gonna get into it with you.
I 'm sure you mean well fella (at least I think)...but seriously....get a life.
You're over compensating.....for something....
Now go play and BEHAVE !!!

SteveMann....................................................................JDKSensei

house.gif

Reactions: Erised
I wanted to do a quick fly over of the M&T Bank stadium in Baltimore. It's not even football season, it interferes with no airports, and all the "can I fly here" sites say it is ok. Anyone?

I wouldn't fly there. I live in Harford County Md and that was one of my first thoughts...flying over Ravens Stadium. M&T as well as Camden Yards would require permission and honestly..after everything Baltimore's been through in the last year, I doubt seriously if they'd let you fly there. Both stadiums are within a stones throw of one another so you'd have to get permission from BOTH organizations. You also run the risk of being shot out of the air. This is Baltimore...remember? ;)

Looking at the U.S. Air Space Map I see a TFR on the day of an NFL game and alerts for a number of heliports in the area but nothing about a no fly zone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl