Can I fly at night now?

Exactly. Why would you want to fly your expensive drone under the influence of anything? This is why I will never do alcohol or drugs. I don't want to wake up in the morning and find out I crashed my Jeep, Phantom 4, chucked my MacBook Pro in the river, and dropped my DSLR the night before. One night of fun isn't worth $15000+

Just my $0.02

One smart individual....me too!

Reactions: Weston Ney
I did not see anything that said a recreation flyer could fly at night.
Could someone point me in the right direction so I can actually read that a recreational pilot can fly after civil daylight hours.

If it's not prohibited, then it's allowed. For hobby flying at night, rules come from the CBO rules, which for the AMA state:

"Night flying requires a lighting system that provides the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems by themselves are inadequate for night flying operations and must be supplemented with other lighting systems. "

See: https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf

Reactions: Curt47
If it's not prohibited, then it's allowed. For hobby flying at night, rules come from the CBO rules, which for the AMA state:

"Night flying requires a lighting system that provides the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems by themselves are inadequate for night flying operations and must be supplemented with other lighting systems. "

See: https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf
I was being to find out that reading between the lines was the answer....and I can see the logic. If it is not prohibited then it's allowed.

You can fly with the right lighting on your drone and a waiver.

Yip you can flight night,strobe up and away,the air is so much clearer and clean (well here anyway), good time like early morning,less people and aircraft can be seen further away due to their super strobes,I prefer almost better than the day:),lol this pic below was my first p4.had 2 sets of phantom headlight sets and on side had lumb cube holders with pen light torch on each side,p4 never minded the extra weight including battery's, looked awsome in flight,,only downfall was coming into land.blinded can't see,oh that scary,,so had to come in on angle so I could see...now days I just use strobes,oh this pic makes me laugh now,,what was I thinking or drinkingView attachment 112511

I have some extra pen lights , I know who I am sending them too next time.

You can fly with the right lighting on your drone and a waiver.
You didn’t watch the video?

No waiver required.

If he is flying under Part 107, a waiver is needed for commercial flying (business). If he is flying under 389 recreation, he just have the correct lighting on his drone.

If he is flying under Part 107, a waiver is needed for commercial flying (business). If he is flying under 389 recreation, he just have the correct lighting on his drone.
Please follow the thread before posting.

Hello all.
I was unaware a recreational flyer could fly at night.
So I downloaded the 2018 Reauthorization.
I read several sections within specifically section 349.
I did not see anything that said a recreation flyer could fly at night.
Could someone point me in the right direction so I can actually read that a recreational pilot can fly after civil daylight hours.
Thanks in advance.
I will also continue reading.

The main point being there is you also didn’t find anything saying you couldn’t ( 107 excluded ) it is legal. I thought it was the 30 minute before sunrise in 30 minutes after sunset rule for a long time just because im a 107 pilot and learned from there. Buy like said before it’s all in the intent. Recreational flying as long as you have strobes which all DJI drone do.

Beware on the forth. I know kids have threw rocks at mine for fun while I was filming. A bottle rocket would reach you!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic