Campaign for the replacement of all P3A /Ps with old motors and shells

I didn't miss it.
If your company had a product that sold in millions and a few misinformed customers convinced themselves (despite all contrary evidence) that there was a problem with a perfectly functioning product, do you think the company should organise a replacement program for everyone?
I'll come back to what's relevant .. have you got any problem with your Phantom?
The majority of P3 users don't have the problems you are concerned with, real cracking or imaginary stability.
If your Phantom is one of the few that develops cracks, DJI will replace it.
DJI won't replace Phantom because of imaginary issues.
I just saw a poll of P3 owners (either here or on RCGroups) where something like 25% of respondents had experienced cracks in their shells. I think it is insulting to say that many P3 owners have convinced themselves that they have a problem. I'd say there is a significant percentage of the shells experiencing cracks, mostly in the rear arms. This has NEVER been a problem with previous P3 models.
While I certainly don't think a recall or replacements for all of us are in order, I do think DJI should address this issue and not remain silent. Just a sense of good PR should guide DJI in addressing this. Deleting posts from their FB page only adds to their negative image.

Reactions: nickyb and Mr.Spock
Meta, you're wrong. Nobody convinced themselves of any nonexistent cracking defect. I had a gen 1 shell swapped under warranty to gen 2 which also cracked and I swapped to gen 3 shell myself to save time. Anyone with use of their eyes can visibly tell the shells are different. As far as the motors go, I have bullet connectors on my motor leads, point me to somewhere selling the new motor and I'll install them myself. So far I've only received the older style even when ordering replacement parts. I change motors every 200 hours because they're $18 and I fly in proximity to sand.

Spock you're spot on, mostly.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
You got that right.
Here's a relevant quote from the real Spock.
May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with humans?
I find their illogic and foolish emotions a constant irritant.”
- Star Trek, season 3, episode 7 (“Day of the Dove,” 1968)
LMAO.

So the older generation P3s are doomed and you will feel it at the used market.

That I can agree, because I am currently looking to buy a new Phantom 3 and I only want one with the new motors and shell. If I am to buy a used P3, those with old motors and shell is worth at least $200-$300 less than what I am willing to pay than the P3 with new motors and shell.

I just saw a poll of P3 owners (either here or on RCGroups) where something like 25% of respondents had experienced cracks in their shells.
When approx 1 in 3 units are suffering from failures these are not small numbers (dji official poll).
Can someone point me to these polls, I'm not aware of them.
I'd like to see the numbers for myself.

I have bullet connectors on my motor leads, point me to somewhere selling the new motor and I'll install them myself. So far I've only received the older style even when ordering replacement parts. I change motors every 200 hours because they're $18 and I fly in proximity to sand.
If you are looking to replace original motors with new, you need to be aware of this:
Compatibility Notice for New Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced Motors | DJI
You would need to replace more than just motors.

Can someone point me to these polls, I'm not aware of them.
I'd like to see the numbers for myself.
DJI Forum|Shell cracks-please vote!
Besides a poll on this forum, this all I can find via google. But I've never been to that forum before, so not the same poll I recently saw, but comparable numbers.
The poll on this forum was answered by 8 members. 6 had cracks, 2 didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Spock
I don't doubt the cracks are widespread. In a few cases, they have been problematic. But I think a lot of people are looking for a problem that might not be there. Time will tell if they develop into an issue. But we can't complain about them unless they are actually causing a real problem.

All I know is both my P2s have cracked motor bases that have been there for countless flights. Despite that, they work perfectly.

Reactions: Meta4
Current standing in that poll.

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 19.40.27.jpg

And bear in mind those who have problems are much more likely to vote.
Personally I have 60+ flights. No cracks whatsoever and I have the old motors and frame.

My guess is a very small percentage of the Phantoms have this problem. And if you have cracks then DJI will replace the frame. What could be more fair.

My GM SUV has 6 recalls, and most of them was just an inspection with mine not having the problem.

So remember preflight, if you see cracks or any other damage don't fly. Contact DJI.

As a FAA licensed GA pilot I know all preflight inspections are the responsibility of the pilot and if you fly with water in the fuel (you have to drain and inspect the fuel in each tank and at the lowest part of the fuel system before each flight) and you crash it is pilot error. Even if the fuel truck delivering fuel that was contaminated, or you had leaky fuel caps. It is still your fault if you fly with something wrong.

So it is very simple, if you have cracks don't fly and contact DJI. If it is their fault they will replace the frame. But all flying machines wear from stress and hard contacts with the planet, so some of these racks may simply be wear and tear. Some may be from poor QC.

These are toys but they operate in the public airspace and we have to be responsible as does DJI, I am sure they will be.

Mr Spock unfortunately there are people who use this site who do not believe that having genuine concerns about a expensive product should be shared. I have raised multiple comments regarding to bonafide true and present problems which in the whole are met with criticism. I love my Phantom - when it works. I want it to be fit for purpose. I also want to choose if the performance of my Phantom is reduced - not have it forced on me. It's clear that some (not all)feel these requests are beyond what is to be expected and that customers should just put up and shut up. I'm sure they make excellent husbands!! Don't stop fighting for what you think is right and don't let the haters get you down. It's when customers stop caring enough to comment about there purchases and just go elsewhere that manufacturers reply with "well we didn't know". When approx 1 in 3 units are suffering from failures these are not small numbers (dji official poll). I praise my fantastic P3 when it works and want answers when it doesn't. Good luck with your petition and here's hoping DJI take note and get it sorted as there are going to be a lot of manufactures which will happily take your business if they don't sort it very soon. Good luck mate :)
Hear hear! Yes Sir! Also may i add too many people here are "overzealous" "passionate" about attacking every single person that raises a concern. DJIoes.....

Mr Spock unfortunately there are people who use this site who do not believe that having genuine concerns about a expensive product should be shared. I have raised multiple comments regarding to bonafide true and present problems which in the whole are met with criticism. I love my Phantom - when it works. I want it to be fit for purpose. I also want to choose if the performance of my Phantom is reduced - not have it forced on me. It's clear that some (not all)feel these requests are beyond what is to be expected and that customers should just put up and shut up. I'm sure they make excellent husbands!! Don't stop fighting for what you think is right and don't let the haters get you down. It's when customers stop caring enough to comment about there purchases and just go elsewhere that manufacturers reply with "well we didn't know". When approx 1 in 3 units are suffering from failures these are not small numbers (dji official poll). I praise my fantastic P3 when it works and want answers when it doesn't. Good luck with your petition and here's hoping DJI take note and get it sorted as there are going to be a lot of manufactures which will happily take your business if they don't sort it very soon. Good luck mate :)
Hear hear yes sir thank u! And all of these on DJIs payroll at least can be honest and say it rather than insult our inteligence....

No to be honest. But still i am entitled for the best my money can buy. I dont want anything free just to replace my bird with the latest production P3A so that it is less risky to crack.

You should have returned it for a refund or exchange when you opened the box and noticed it had the old style motors. I'm assuming that you've been enjoying your P3? Why then should they replace a perfectly good product? Just because Walmart will honor any and every return/exchange without question doesn't mean DJI will. If it develops a problem then contact DJI" and start a claim ticket. Until then why not just fly and enjoy it?

I just saw a poll of P3 owners (either here or on RCGroups) where something like 25% of respondents had experienced cracks in their shells. I think it is insulting to say that many P3 owners have convinced themselves that they have a problem. I'd say there is a significant percentage of the shells experiencing cracks, mostly in the rear arms. This has NEVER been a problem with previous P3 models.
While I certainly don't think a recall or replacements for all of us are in order, I do think DJI should address this issue and not remain silent. Just a sense of good PR should guide DJI in addressing this. Deleting posts from their FB page only adds to their negative image.
So ture!

Meta, you're wrong. Nobody convinced themselves of any nonexistent cracking defect. I had a gen 1 shell swapped under warranty to gen 2 which also cracked and I swapped to gen 3 shell myself to save time. Anyone with use of their eyes can visibly tell the shells are different. As far as the motors go, I have bullet connectors on my motor leads, point me to somewhere selling the new motor and I'll install them myself. So far I've only received the older style even when ordering replacement parts. I change motors every 200 hours because they're $18 and I fly in proximity to sand.

Spock you're spot on, mostly.
Thank u buddy i know i am but it seams some people have hiden agengas hehiden and other interests....

I don't doubt the cracks are widespread. In a few cases, they have been problematic. But I think a lot of people are looking for a problem that might not be there. Time will tell if they develop into an issue. But we can't complain about them unless they are actually causing a real problem.

All I know is both my P2s have cracked motor bases that have been there for countless flights. Despite that, they work perfectly.
You are entitled to keep your birds with cracks as long as they function but this is not an argument and this is not the point...

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1