Camera Question

Reaction score
I just got my Phantom 2 from DSLRPROS and I am about to buy a gopro hero for it. I can get a Hero 4 Silver for about what a hero 3 + Black costs at Amazon. Which do you think would be to best purchase. I have read that the hero 4 silver has a little sharper video. I'm not interested in 4K. Thanks

It may be worth shooting in 4K as it does give you more options if you need to crop etc. The Black 3+ is fine and can do 2.7K, but, is not really usable at 4K as it will only do half standard frame rate 12.5/15. For me recording in 4K is not about wanting to play it back in 4K. It is about capturing the best image you can as your source. If you then downrez it to say 1080p it will look at lot nicer than if you had shot at 1080p.

I think there may be some issues to consider regarding gimbal dependencies (H3-3D v H4-3D). Hopefully someone with more of a clue than I on this will chime in.

Last edited:
I don't have a H4 silver, but I do have the black, so I can't comment on which is sharper.

The Black is perfectly balanced for the H43d gimble. I have heard that the silver with its screen makes it back heavy. The H4 shoots really Sharp and Its best mode for video quality is 2.7k at 30 and 60 in Medium. The black has a faster processor than the silver and can handle complex scenes in all resolutions better than the silver. This means that you will get a cleaner and more accurate video image as well as less compression artifacts.

As mentioned above, you can shoot in wide 4k and crop to get really nice results.

Personally, if this is a dedicated camera for the drone, then get the black. If your going to use it off the drone and use the screen, then it's up in the air.

But for pure image quality, especially if your going to shoot in raw and do some grading and other post work, the black is the ticket.

Thanks Hughie and Buzz for your input. You both gave me some ideas to think about. Looking at the black now. I will be shooting in the raw with post work. In your opinion what is the best video editing software for post work?

Thanks Hughie and Buzz for your input. You both gave me some ideas to think about. Looking at the black now. I will be shooting in the raw with post work. In your opinion what is the best video editing software for post work?
I use premier, after effects and Speed Grade.

If your a student or you have family member that is, you can get the entire Adobe creative cloud for 19 a month.

Sony movie studio is good for entry lvl..

What's ur budget?

I use premier, after effects and Speed Grade.

If your a student or you have family member that is, you can get the entire Adobe creative cloud for 19 a month.

Sony movie studio is good for entry lvl..

What's ur budget?

Just starting out on shooting aerial video, budget is $500.00. Sony movie studio is good for entry lvl may be the one I need......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers