Camera/lens optimization service??

Roamer105- earlier in the thread Hammer 737 mentioned he might loosen the cable to the sensor board so he could reapply locktite to the lens to keep it from shifting.
Do you think the lens will move in day to day transport or flying - or are the threads snug enough that's it's unlikely to move on its own?
And is it necessary to remove that cable to do that?

I don't think I would bother with that. The thread is pretty tight especially since the original locktite is not removed. It would be very difficult to reapply locktite without completely removing the lens from the base thread, apply the locktite, then on a limited time schedule reassemble it and go through the adjustment process hoping to complete it before the locktite hardens.

Excellent. Thought so, but like to be prepared before I do this.

And it did. Pretty cool. And big. Now I'll print 4 more and probably tape them to a poster board or Foamcore . Then use my garage. Put them in the 5 poits- corners and Center.

I used a couple of drops of E6000 on opposite sides of the lens ring/camera case applied with a toothpick, then pushed the lens mask back on. The glue should bond the mask to the ring and to the camera case. The glue is supposed to remain flexible after curing. Unless I want to install an after market lens, I doubt I will have to repeat this process. I may consider getting this lens to replace the stock lens: 3.37mm f/2.8 87d HFOV 16MP (No Distortion) – Peau Productions

That lens looks really nice - I just want to see if DJI comes out with a P5. It would be a shame to spend $140 to put into the 3 with the tiny sensor, then have a much better platform come out with the MUCH better camera....
But even with the 5 (should it actually exist) they may still put a cheap lens on it.
THEN that new lens would really kick butt.
Of course if they use the same mounting for the lens, then it could be switched over......

That lens looks really nice - I just want to see if DJI comes out with a P5. It would be a shame to spend $140 to put into the 3 with the tiny sensor, then have a much better platform come out with the MUCH better camera....
But even with the 5 (should it actually exist) they may still put a cheap lens on it.
THEN that new lens would really kick butt.
Of course if they use the same mounting for the lens, then it could be switched over......

I think you may put a little too much emphasis on the size of the sensor. Glass is way much more critical to the quality of the recording but ultimately it all falls victim to poor compression which unfortunately is still the real weak spot even with the P4P.

I assume you're talking about the video compression. I'm mainly a still shooter. Shoot some video when needed- but my main interest is stills. Shot on raw with that bigger sensor will make a huge difference to me.
And yes- if I can do the things Ive done with my P3 so far, I'm sure even adjusting the focus will make a big difference. Can't wait to see.
501e5b3a864e6fcb20492bbc76301b00.jpg

Yes, as long as stills in raw are your focus, I totally agree. I am focused on video.

I could not help myself but ordering this aftermarket lens for my P3P: 3.37mm f/2.8 87d HFOV 16MP (No Distortion) – Peau Productions
Should be getting it on Saturday and will probably install it on Sunday along with focusing. I have some reference focusing pictures I kept when focusing the stock lens. It will be interesting to see if and how much better this lens is in comparison. Aside from focus, I hope the better glass will improve on contrast, distortion and chromatic aberration. Once I got it set, I will publish both focusing images for comparison.

Hey roamer105- did you install and test that lens yet?

I did and I am very frustrated. Here is why: The lens is marketed as a replacement for GoPro, others and among them Phantom 3/4. Fine. The lens mount thread works. However, I was unable to focus the lens as it would not go far enough in (close enough to the sensor) given the length of the thread mount. I sent some email to them to ask questions regarding this issue wondering if I ordered the wrong lens, but so far I have not gotten a response back. Since I had a busy day, I will try to follow up on this tomorrow. If nothing else - for sure that lens goes back to where it came from. Very disappointed so far.... put the stock lens back and re-focused it. P3P is still operational.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's just the wrong lens and they have one that works. Have you looked for any reviews that DJI people wrote about these lenses - either positive or negative? You'd think that if it really didn't work for Phantoms someone else by now would have written about it.

I sent in a question about this. Saying I have a friend who Judy purchased this lens & cant get it threaded close enough to focus.
Have they responded to you?

Here is their response:

Hi,

I focused a P3P about a week ago with a 3.37mm. Threading in, it was VERY difficult and tight. But there should not be a problem of too few threads as that would be an issue with threading out.

Cody James
Electronic Technician
Peau Productions, Inc
Toll Free: +1 (877) 949-1684
Local: +1 (619) 554-8848 x104
7592 Metropolitan Dr
Suite 401
San Diego CA 92108 USA
www.peauproductions.com
www.mapir.camera

Youtube: PeauProductions
Facebook: PeauProductions

If not I would contact this guy direct & talk to him.

I replied to him asking if he was saying that it absolutely if possible to achieve tack sharp focus - that it's just a matter of forcing it further?
Also pointing out that in order to make the final adjustments it had to be done with camera reassembled and on the Gimbal- which could damage the camera or Gimbal if it's that hard to turn.

I got a response back regarding my 3.37mm lens issue. Peau is giving me an RMA to return that lens. There is obviously a problem with that lens on the P3P. The only known working alternative is the 3.97mm lens which had been installed successfully on a number of Phantoms. Bottom line suggests that unless you let Peau do the job of installing and focusing the new lens the outcome may not be quite as good as one would hope. When Peau installs the lens, they may pick the best focusing out of a set of those lenses (needless to say there are production tolerances). While they all work perfectly on the GoPro, the sensors are not quite the same and the results may differ on the P3P. Not very encouraging to me, so stock lens it is and after focusing it I am quite happy with the overall quality of the image especially in 16:9 format.

Reactions: Greybush
I got a response back regarding my 3.37mm lens issue. Peau is giving me an RMA to return that lens. There is obviously a problem with that lens on the P3P. The only known working alternative is the 3.97mm lens which had been installed successfully on a number of Phantoms. Bottom line suggests that unless you let Peau do the job of installing and focusing the new lens the outcome may not be quite as good as one would hope. When Peau installs the lens, they may pick the best focusing out of a set of those lenses (needless to say there are production tolerances). While they all work perfectly on the GoPro, the sensors are not quite the same and the results may differ on the P3P. Not very encouraging to me, so stock lens it is and after focusing it I am quite happy with the overall quality of the image especially in 16:9 format.
Really good to know. I won't waste time thinking about it.
Bought the foam core to mount the 37"x 21" targets I printed. As soon as the sun comes out again I intend to try my critical focus adjustment on my spare P3. If that works well, then my main.

This is his second reply to me after my follow up question:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: Question from Jeff Ellis using Default chat box.
To: Jeff Ellis <[email protected]>

Hi,

At this timeI have to advise against the 3.37mm on P3P. More investigations will need to be made to assure compatibility.

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Jeff Ellis <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks Cody for replying.
My friend- who may also have an inquiry to you in for this- and I are both pro photographers. The goal with the new lens is to achieve optimum, tack sharp focus.
Not just "ok" like they usually come from the factory.
So are you saying that it is absolutely possible to screw it down enough to get complete correct focus- that it's a matter of forcing it further in order to get there?

Sounds like a possibility for damage to the mounting board.

I hope you are successful in getting your lens focused. Here is a video I took a few days ago after refocusing the stock lens. The other one is going back since it will not focus on my bird.
The video is shot in 2160p in D-Cinelike using an ND8. Processed with Resolve and down-converted to YouTube 1080p with Adobe media converter. Make sure to watch it in 1080p quality. Even after down-convention the sharpness and clarity are stunning. You should see it in 4K but my internet is far too slow for that.

Reactions: Greybush

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures