Camera images unclear?

Reaction score
Not having used this P3P much because weather around here has been so windy I finely start trying to shoot pictures and they were not very sharp. Changed out the filter and no improvement. Both transmitted and images on card.
Any ideas. This is a used bird and the files on the card were good. I have a new P3P to compare images to so its not in my head, I hope, as I did get hit in the head last Friday by a computer monitor at Best Buy.

Stills or video?

Post some examples - that will help the most.

Some easy things: Clean the lens. On new aircraft, there is a plastic protector on the lens that people have overlooked. Presumably that's been taken care of but it doesn't hurt to check. Take a picture with the motors off, focus on something about 10 feet away. That isolates any problem with gimbal wobble or too slow shutter.

Look at other examples to make sure that you are not expecting too much. It is basically a cell phone camera, not a DLSR.....

I changed the filter to a lighter one and inspected the lens. Not a new craft so the lens film had been removed long ago. Images I took to make sure were with the motors off. Its like its shooting very low res less than 1 meg.
Like I first posted I am comparing to another P3P.

Heres the last one I tried to take of the Strawberry moon Monday DJI_0001.JPG
Just did a camera reset and I can not tell any change in video anyway.
I am getting another update warning:(

No. Very green to this system. Looks like I will be back to the manual or use the other bird till the pressure of the next couple weeks subsides.
Thanks, stay safe this coming Holiday. I've been on the 4th of July news last two years in Twin Cities setting up fireworks displays. Wrong place at the right time:)

Do you have examples of a better exposed picture? Low light is really not the P3's strength. It looks over compressed - this one is from the SD card, correct?

From card yes. Hunch recommended I go and do the updates so that is underway. Will shoot a couple pictures and make sure the settings are the same as the well working P3P tomorrow

First from the newer P3P and second from older P3P. Same card used. Both birds and batteries updated last night.

Attachments

• DJI_0001.JPG
    DJI_0001.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 310
  • DJI_0002.JPG
    DJI_0002.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 310
To my eyes, that's about as good as it gets. You can improve the image significantly by shooting in DNG and post processing. But again, it's really a modded cell phone camera with a cheap lens, not a DLSR.

I've got lenses that cost an order of magnitude more than a P3. There is a reason for that.

Just fiddled with the picture using Affinity Photo, a cheap Photoshop replacement. The ability to modify 8 bit JPEGs is very limited because a lot of stuff is 'baked in' but you can do quite a bit with a few minutes of work. I had to crop it a bit to get under the 10 MB upload limit.

EDIT: Looking at it a bit closer, I would sharpen it quite a bit more for this photo viewer. That would make it snap even more.

Attachments

• DJI_0002-modded.jpg
    DJI_0002-modded.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 254
Reactions: Prairie Pyro
Well aware of the cost of cameras and the lenses. I got one of the first Nikons with (4 mp)removable lens and I shot a centerfold for a horse magazine with it. The thing everyone liked was the ability to view instantly and go home with a CD to further edit or view on a tv.
I have a sub $100 Nikon pocket camera (5+ Years old)that does most of my work of pictures for a pellet stove site that I moderate and it takes a better picture than what I am seeing with the P3 and why the difference between the two birds?
Will try the editing software

I have a sub $100 Nikon pocket camera (5+ Years old)that does most of my work of pictures for a pellet stove site that I moderate and it takes a better picture than what I am seeing with the P3
Would not be surprised.
and why the difference between the two birds?
Looking at the two pics, #1 is a bit sharper - this could well be differences in how the cameras are assembled / pieces parts. #2 is a bit 'greener' and slightly under exposed but that could simply be timing and could easily be removed in post.

Will try the editing software

Shoot DNG and use something like Lightroom or whatever you fancy. It will help significantly. You can also complain to DJI - they would probably swap the camera modules and it would be a bit of a crap shoot as to whether or not it helped.

Both were shot within minutes of each other and same settings but in auto
Will have to make a complaint to DJI. Bad time to have found this issue with the fireworks season being at the height now and no real break from work ill the 6th:) If goes well may upgrade again or hang a gopro style camera on something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers