camera crash guard: pros and cons?

Reaction score
Hello

How important is it to install a camera crash guard such as the one from UAV Bits?

I own a P2V+ and see this as recommended on phantom help.com

Are there disadvantages? Cons?

How easy to install?

Thanks once again.

Larry

I have the camera guard from UAV BITS. I originally bought it because I was looking for something to protect the camera from below in the case of a crash. Since I've never crashed, I cannot confirm how effective it would be in that case.

To install it, you just need to place it between the landing gear and attach 4 zip ties. It should only take a few minutes. There are no cons as far as I can tell. It does not negatively impact the flight in any way.

I have found that it prevents grass from interfering wth the camera when taking off from grassy areas. If you have a GPS tracker, it's also a good place to mount it. So, there are some benefits outside of its intended purpose.

Last edited:
. Does having the guard make the landing on grass less stable and more likely to tip?

. Some have posted that they use Velcro or nothing instead of the zip ties in order to be able to remove it. Your thoughts?

Thanks all.

Larry

I only land on smooth, level surfaces (even when I did not have this guard). Otherwise, I hand catch. Tipping over can cause a lot of damage, so I don't take any chances.

I'm not sure why you'd want to remove it. Velcro might be okay. If using neither, I'm assuming the guard would pop out if you crash into something.

Someone on amazon recommended "the fix" which i gather is a gimbal protector to prevent separation. Is this necessary in addition to the uavbits camera guard?

Do the new Phantom3's have this problem?

Someone on amazon recommended "the fix" which i gather is a gimbal protector to prevent separation. Is this necessary in addition to the uavbits camera guard?

Do the new Phantom3's have this problem?

No, they don't. And the V3 P2V+ doesn't have the separation problem either. DJI redesigned the rear motor housing assembly to prevent this problem. Go through the forum and see how many motor separation incidents have been reported on the P2V+ V3, you won't find any. Don't believe everything you hear/read, a lot of it is BS and old information.

No, they don't. And the V3 P2V+ doesn't have the separation problem either. DJI redesigned the rear motor housing assembly to prevent this problem. Go through the forum and see how many motor separation incidents have been reported on the P2V+ V3, you won't find any. Don't believe everything you hear/read, a lot of it is BS and old information.

thanks.

What do you think of the "Spider Legs"..? Will it protect the camera instead of the Camera Guard?

thanks.

What do you think of the "Spider Legs"..? Will it protect the camera instead of the Camera Guard?
I think the guard under the camera that spans the landing gear can be helpful. Not sure what you mean by "spider legs".

I have the camera guard from UAV BITS:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Code=as2&tag=ph079-20&linkId=VKJHDXQIGUSSLUX5

I originally bought it because I was looking for something to protect the camera from below in the case of a crash. Since I've never crashed, I cannot confirm how effective it would be in that case.

To install it, you just need to place it between the landing gear and attach 4 zip ties. It should only take a few minutes. There are no cons as far as I can tell. It does not negatively impact the flight in any way.

I have found that it prevents grass from interfering wth the camera when taking off from grassy areas. If you have a GPS tracker, it's also a good place to mount it. So, there are some benefits outside of its intended purpose.

UAV Bits also sells "Switchblade" which helps to avoid tipovers on uneven surfaces. My new question is whether this is necessary since I now have prop-guards (removeable ... from BEstem) so that a tip-over would not be so bad????

Larry

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20