California's First Arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I'm sure everyone has heard the news by now? Calif Fire Security has made its first droid pilot arrest. Some dumb! Yes some dumb pilot put his droid up in a Forrest fire. According to hm he only had it up for 2 miniutes to see how close the fire was. CDS said they canceled all fire fighting planes for 30 minutes. This hampered their efforts to fight the fire a great deal.

I think this is going to hurt use whole lot so far as flying in Calif. one guy with no brains starts a landslide.

Thy are investigating 2 other incidents also. Different fires.

What do you guys think? I think Calif will do a major clamp down on us flying

LMMMMMAOOOOOOOO!! WHAT!?!?!??!

I don't get it, are you saying someone with a lousy Phantom some how stopped firefighting planes, hahahah
pathetic

I don't get it, are you saying someone with a lousy Phantom some how stopped firefighting planes, hahahah
pathetic
Would you like to be in a plane and hit a drone if it goes into the engine or props? Are you nuts?

pathetic

I'm not one for controversy...but yeah. It happens. Because the people on the ground and the pilots don't have time to judge if it's a "lousy phantom" or a $250,000 fixed wing type of aircraft. Therefore someone with a lousy phantom does cause problems when this type of situation occurs.

You clearly are not in the air business or you would understand this. So do some reading and make sure to fly safe.

Recently I spoke to a helicopter pilot that said his blades would shred my phantom and he has no worries about it, however he said that he doesn't have time to decide if it is a phantom or a bigger drone that he wouldn't be able to live through. By his simple remarks there I can for his life. Therefore I respect manned aircraft. Especially since he flys medivac.

He did say if you are flying at night to place reflective tape on it. He said 90% of the commercial helicopter pilots are more than likely flying with night vision goggles and reflective tape stands out like a sore thumb. He also said his company does not allow air operations below 1000 ft unless taking off or landing.

Either way..yes a phantom can ground some planes!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Would you like to be in a plane and hit a drone if it goes into the engine or props? Are you nuts?

it's going to take more then a drone(phantom) to take out a plane like they use.

a bird like the ones around airports alone won't do it, and some of those birds weigh 4-5lbs.

It's just silly as heck to arrest someone simply for flying over a fire like that, I'd do it in a heartbeat, unless I knew for sure I was somehow hindering a life saving agency, I wouldn't stop.

If I was flying around my area and saw a house on fire I'd fly over there and film it, if I saw a shootout going on, I'd do the same thing.

Let me also make it clear, I worry like crazy when I'm high up, but know these aircraft are much much higher then even the highest I'm allowed to fly.
we can watch the tons of videos on youtube of people doing some crazy stuff, but filming a fire? that would make for some crazy footage all of us would love. A news helicopter would be there in seconds, I fly a 172 VFR, no help from ATC, its up to me to make sure I don't go flying into another craft, hitting my phantom 3 could be disastrous but i'm cruising at 4-5k alt., or 3k at a minimum. and these things aren't going that high, thankfully.

actually it doesn't sound far fetched at all.
Especially now that they have the concept ...lol

This wouldn't be a bad idea if an idiot flyer were violating the 5-mile rule for a major airport with a tower. For most other airports without a tower, you aren't actually required to "ask for permission" to fly, you simply have to notify the airport that you'll be flying nearby. We share the airspace with them and they don't have the authority to deny you. Even this notification goes away for commercial Drone pilots if you pass the Part 107 test that becomes law on August 29th.

Let me also make it clear, I worry like crazy when I'm high up, but know these aircraft are much much higher then even the highest I'm allowed to fly.
we can watch the tons of videos on youtube of people doing some crazy stuff, but filming a fire? that would make for some crazy footage all of us would love. A news helicopter would be there in seconds, I fly a 172 VFR, no help from ATC, its up to me to make sure I don't go flying into another craft, hitting my phantom 3 could be disastrous but i'm cruising at 4-5k alt., or 3k at a minimum. and these things aren't going that high, thankfully.

Given that you are a pilot, you are obviously aware that a TFR is put in place before any aerial equipment is brought in to fight fires. So, if a news helicopter is on scene then it is there under ATC control and kept away from, and/or above, the firefighting aircraft. The concern with drones - even small ones like Phantoms - is the effect of impact on aircraft windshields and turbine blades. Even though they are rated to survive impacts from heavier birds (of the feathered kind), the impact of high-density plastic or metal objects produces much higher dynamic loading which they are neither tested nor rated to withstand.

All this paranoia about the FAA and DJI software controls, etc. is extremely discouraging. People have been flying RC for decades with no concern from the FAA. And why is that? Until recently virtually all RC activity was with fixed wing aircraft that require some level of aeronautical and radio knowledge as well as building skill. Even with the advent of ARF and RTF planes a relatively high level of skill was required to get off the ground and not crash. Initially I came to the conclusion that the proliferation of multi rotors that can be flown right out of the box with little or no skill were to blame. The sheer volume of MRs is partially to blame, but the more I think about it I believe it was the development of FPV flight that really caused the trouble.

I have read news stories about fixed wing pilots doing dangerous stunts using FPV. One crazy guy took off in Central Park and then buzzed the Statue of Liberty. Youtube is full of cross country flights by MRs as well as fixed wing aircraft. All of this activity that is well beyond the line-of-sight of the pilot is being observed by the FAA and other government officials. They would not be doing the job we pay them to do if they did nothing about this dangerous activity. It all boils down to observing sensible rules while enjoying our hobby without endangering people or property.

Yes, I admit that FPV is a fascinating hobby and distance runs are exciting. But if you can't see your bird you are depending on complex, failure prone technology to tell you where it is and keep it in the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
it's going to take more then a drone(phantom) to take out a plane like they use.

a bird like the ones around airports alone won't do it, and some of those birds weigh 4-5lbs.

It's just silly as heck to arrest someone simply for flying over a fire like that, I'd do it in a heartbeat, unless I knew for sure I was somehow hindering a life saving agency, I wouldn't stop.

If I was flying around my area and saw a house on fire I'd fly over there and film it, if I saw a shootout going on, I'd do the same thing.

You're right !!! I will do it over and over again. What's the big fuss.....

Flying in a TFR zone (which the pilot may not have been aware of) isn't a good idea. I am curious if they would have grounded all flights if they spotted a flock of geese flying through the area?

well I'm sure everyone has heard the news by now? Calif Fire Security has made its first droid pilot arrest. Some dumb! Yes some dumb pilot put his droid up in a Forrest fire. According to hm he only had it up for 2 miniutes to see how close the fire was. CDS said they canceled all fire fighting planes for 30 minutes. This hampered their efforts to fight the fire a great deal.

I think this is going to hurt use whole lot so far as flying in Calif. one guy with no brains starts a landslide.

Thy are investigating 2 other incidents also. Different fires.

What do you guys think? I think Calif will do a major clamp down on us flying

They also use small, highly maneuverable scout planes to help in directing the tankers. I like to attend air shows and my favorite pilot is Patty Wagstaff. She has been spending summers in California using her aerobatics skill to fly such a scout plane for the fire service. A Phantom in the prop of her small plane would take her down into the fire.

I have moved this to GD and one won't be posting for awhile so I will leave it open till it get's disruptive .

Reactions: jbwill
This wouldn't be a bad idea if an idiot flyer were violating the 5-mile rule for a major airport with a tower. For most other airports without a tower, you aren't actually required to "ask for permission" to fly, you simply have to notify the airport that you'll be flying nearby. We share the airspace with them and they don't have the authority to deny you. Even this notification goes away for commercial Drone pilots if you pass the Part 107 test that becomes law on August 29th.

Wrong!

They CAN deny but they have to cite a SAFETY reason. Their #1 priority is Aviation Safety and if your flight jeopardizes that they CAN say NO!

Also that doesn't out right go away with Part 107 LOL! Here's the facts:

Operations in Class G airspace are allowed without air traffic control permission. Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace need ATC approval. See Chapter 14 in the Pilot's Handbook (PDF).

Reactions: turbulence
Wrong!

They CAN deny but they have to cite a SAFETY reason. Their #1 priority is Aviation Safety and if your flight jeopardizes that they CAN say NO!

Also that doesn't out right go away with Part 107 LOL! Here's the facts:

Operations in Class G airspace are allowed without air traffic control permission. Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace need ATC approval. See Chapter 14 in the Pilot's Handbook (PDF).
That should pretty much shut up the people that have a lack of common sense flying. Nice post indeed, love it.

Reactions: BigAl07
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20