California's First Arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
well I'm sure everyone has heard the news by now? Calif Fire Security has made its first droid pilot arrest. Some dumb! Yes some dumb pilot put his droid up in a Forrest fire. According to hm he only had it up for 2 miniutes to see how close the fire was. CDS said they canceled all fire fighting planes for 30 minutes. This hampered their efforts to fight the fire a great deal.

I think this is going to hurt use whole lot so far as flying in Calif. one guy with no brains starts a landslide.

Thy are investigating 2 other incidents also. Different fires.

What do you guys think? I think Calif will do a major clamp down on us flying

Reactions: Rycguitar
There already were clampdowns. Thus the arrest and investigations.
Now that there are consequences being distributed folks will take notice.
Can't eliminate stupid with legislation.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
well I'm sure everyone has heard the news by now? Calif Fire Security has made its first droid pilot arrest. Some dumb! Yes some dumb pilot put his droid up in a Forrest fire. According to hm he only had it up for 2 miniutes to see how close the fire was. CDS said they canceled all fire fighting planes for 30 minutes. This hampered their efforts to fight the fire a great deal.

I think this is going to hurt use whole lot so far as flying in Calif. one guy with no brains starts a landslide.

Thy are investigating 2 other incidents also. Different fires.

What do you guys think? I think Calif will do a major clamp down on us flying

Utah legislature has just passed a law that provides harsh penalties for interfering with fire fighting efforts and authorizes actions that will disable and/or destroy drones that interfere with fire fighting efforts. This law is aimed at a tiny segment of the drone users in Utah.

Jim

There was a lengthy discussion earlier about flying where they shouldn't have been flying. Some people thought it was okay to ignore the "guidelines" the FAA put into place. I didn't and got beat up for it, but the "guidelines" are there for a reason. It's all fun and games until something happens. And wonder how many homes were in peril for the amount of time the real aircraft had to be grounded. I have said it before, and will say it again, I do not agree with people thinking it is okay to violate the "guidelines" set into place. Because when someone gets caught doing it, it reflects everyone and categorizes all of us as irresponsible.

Reactions: Pro338
I try hard to follow the guidelines set forth, but its damned hard to fly keeping the drone within eyesight all the time.

Reactions: Freedom4
What is the big deal- I don't see anything wrong. I'd done the same thing. Get a close view of the forest fire.

Reactions: dgd3
I try hard to follow the guidelines set forth, but its damned hard to fly keeping the drone within eyesight all the time.
You need to improve your skills. It's your responsibility to maintain control of your aircraft.
You are Pilot in Command and assume all risk and responsibility.

Reactions: Pro338
What is the big deal- I don't see anything wrong. I'd done the same thing. Get a close view of the forest fire.
Please do not troll this site. Your comments are reflective of your understanding of your responsibilities when flying aircraft for hobby or recreation.

You need to improve your skills. It's your responsibility to maintain control of your aircraft.
You are Pilot in Command and assume all risk and responsibility.

I wasn't referring to "hard" as in piloting skills, but the feeling of wanting to fly more than 200 feet away from where you are standing. I've flown for over 3 years with zero crashes or broken props I'd put my skills up against anyone else's anytime.

Good enough.

Reactions: JWarren
Stay away from forest fires folks. Respect those firefighters, let them do their job and keep yourself and your aircraft wayyyyyyy the hell away. The pilots dropping stuff on these fires have enough stress, let alone trying to dodge a drone. Yeah, they probably won't come close, but it's not worth the risk. These people are tryi to save lives and property. Respect, keep away.

I wasn't referring to "hard" as in piloting skills, but the feeling of wanting to fly more than 200 feet away from where you are standing. I've flown for over 3 years with zero crashes or broken props I'd put my skills up against anyone else's anytime.
It isn't about piloting skills, it is about common sense, and you agreed to when you registered your drone.

Reactions: pomonabill220
I bet it's getting close for California that DJI helps the state officials to put their setup into play that uploads each pilots flight data live to an accessible cloud for use with apprehending violator's.

What is wrong is that if a drone is seen in the area, the fire fighting planes are grounded until the drone is no longer in the area. So, the fire spreads more. That is why the Utah law gives fire fighters, police, etc. authority to bring a drone down.

Jim

I am sure most of you guys heard of them famous stop light camera's. You know, the ones that send you a ticket in the mail for running a stop light?

When I first read about the permission in the DJI software that ask the pilot in command if you have permission to fly in certain areas, I could see the software kicking out a flag to the FCC to see if permission was actually granted from local authority to fly. Such as from a Notam or control tower, etc. In this way the FCC would not have to spend a lot of time looking for violations, violations would come to them, via the software. Thus helping them fund this dept. Considering the majority of the big money goes to the commercial airliner industry. Then they could easily check your flight data from DJI to see if you violated controlled airspace at anytime during that flight.

I can just see them sending us a letter of violation, with a picture of the flight data at the moment of the violation. Where to send your check, etc. Just like the stop light.

Does this sound too far fetched?

I am sure most of you guys heard of them famous stop light camera's. You know, the ones that send you a ticket in the mail for running a stop light?

When I first read about the permission in the DJI software that ask the pilot in command if you have permission to fly in certain areas, I could see the software kicking out a flag to the FCC to see if permission was actually granted from local authority to fly. Such as from a Notam or control tower, etc. In this way the FCC would not have to spend a lot of time looking for violations, violations would come to them, via the software. Thus helping them fund this dept. Considering the majority of the big money goes to the commercial airliner industry. Then they could easily check your flight data from DJI to see if you violated controlled airspace at anytime during that flight.

I can just see them sending us a letter of violation, with a picture of the flight data at the moment of the violation. Where to send your check, etc. Just like the stop light.

Does this sound too far fetched?

actually it doesn't sound far fetched at all.
Especially now that they have the concept ...lol

Reactions: bryan_m and Pro338
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl