Calibrated in Wyoming, Flew in Florida

Reaction score
So I last Flew my p3p in Wyoming free weeks ago. Today I took it around the local Florida breach with a friend. I usually don't compass calibrate so I checked the basics and took off. Even though it was pretty windy it flew quite well. I took it down and recalibrated when I noticed the mod was 1200. Did fly well though!

I really don't think it's a big deal. the manual contradicts itself to some degree. In one thought, it's calibrate the compass before each flight. Then it mention, when to re calibrate. So, if the status indicator is blinking green and yellow or you get a compass error, good time to do a calibration.
The other reason is if you have a lot of drift in your flight, i.e. not flying in a straight line. There are other reason for a re calibration but I think for most flights, it should be fine. Just follow the re calibration reasons and all should be well.

The manual is poorly written. You can travel a great distance and wind up in a place with a similar magnetic fingerprint to where you came from. You can equally end up in a place that is entirely different. A good mod value is NOT a guarantee of a proper calibration.

Read. Learn. Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl