By passing 'No Fly Zones'.

Reaction score
I live near an airfield that DJI have now listed as a category B 'No Fly Zone'. However this airfield is only used during the week by personal planes and at the weekend is used by model RC enthusiast at the club located there.

I went to fly my phantom for the first time in a few months after updating the software, but my problem is I can no longer fly there due to the updated no fly zones.

We wanted to get footage of the of one of my friends scale model A380 in the air but to no avail.

Is there away round this?

Thanks in advance!

You really need to take that serious, cause the FAA sure does. I won't help or suggest what your options would be, nor would I agree with anyone else either.

You may want to consider loading firmware version 1.08 which has no restrictions whatsoever as it was before they implemented that feature. I flew with that version for 6+ months and it worked flawlessly. There are some app features that wont work like GS and DHP and FPV mode, but the camera and gimbal work just fine. Just a consideration.

BlackTracer said:
You may want to consider loading firmware version 1.08 which has no restrictions whatsoever as it was before they implemented that feature. I flew with that version for 6+ months and it worked flawlessly. There are some app features that wont work like GS and DHP and FPV mode, but the camera and gimbal work just fine. Just a consideration.

Sounds like a good solution to me. I flew with 1.08 the first time the other week and it wasn't as different as I expected. Just watch your descent speed to avoid VRS. Get it from the droneslinger website

Hodgi said:
I live near an airfield that DJI have now listed as a category B 'No Fly Zone'. However this airfield is only used during the week by personal planes and at the weekend is used by model RC enthusiast at the club located there.

I went to fly my phantom for the first time in a few months after updating the software, but my problem is I can no longer fly there due to the updated no fly zones.

We wanted to get footage of the of one of my friends scale model A380 in the air but to no avail.

Is there away round this?

Thanks in advance!

You could try contacting DJI and explain the situation.

They may review the list

Just looked on the DJI site.

There are only 2 airports in NI that have no fly zones, city airport & international.

robinb said:
Just looked on the DJI site.

There are only 2 airports in NI that have no fly zones, city airport & international.

I am not in Northern Ireland at present although that is home. However that brings up an interesting point. There is the City of Derry International Airport to the west of the country and there is no 'no fly zone' around that airport!? :shock:

BlackTracer said:

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try come Sunday.

But it's not great that I have to loose some features when flying perfectly legally. The phantom is rather small compared to what is also flying there!!

Does the no fly zone sit in the restricted NO-take-off area or does it sit in the limited 400ft area.

Here is a suggestion and rather for education purposes... I have not tried it though as I like to stay far away from airports.

This way involves tricking the phantom's GPS and forcing ATTI. We know the Phantom cannot start motors if you disconnect the GPS cable. But if you block the signals you should be ok. If you place foil on the top shell all the way to the arms, this will block the gps signal. If it doesn't get a signal, it wont know where it is in the world.

Now the issue that you may have is what happens if GPS is acquired? Remember that only 3 sats is required to lock a position/co-ordinate. There is chances that the higher up you go, the more the horizon sats you will see. What I don't know is weather the phantom uses 3 sats for position and 7 for GPS flight.

There has been reports that the phantom will force land in no take off zones. If you are over water, it will be an issue.
I assume the force landing is probably like critical battery level 2 stage, and its possible that throttling up may work but you will need to fight the sticks.

If that all fails, you may wanna try 1.08.

DJI's airport classification is ridiculous. Our small airport in Malta which caters for around 20-30 flights daily, mainly small regional jets, is classified as a Cat 1 airport, i.e. larger than Rome or Paris which handle hundreds/thousands of flights including wide-body jets. Because of this half of the country is a restricted area. I've written to DJI and they replied that they classify airports according to runway size and the type of planes that can land there. As I said ridiculous.

I'd like to find a way to bypass this limitation.

Yeah I read his post. I read it twice before responding. And when I responded I thought that would be enough for most to see the red flag I raised. But apparently not because several fell right into it. This one should have been common sense with a little thought put into before posting.

You see this had nothing to do with Hodgi. It has to do with the lurkers that just have to do a simple google search or any other search engine and they follow right here and now of coarse have the hook up.

So shall I just not be concerned about this kind of stuff and in turn let idiots wreck our hobby. Or should I be more descriptive why something like this should not take place in our forum?

Didn't know the phantoms had no fly zones built in. I haven't attempted flying within the 5.5km area restricted around my local international airport, but it's never had a problem flying in areas of this town outside that range.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl