Broken cable - solder or replace?

Reaction score
Hey all - RTH auto-initiated and she raised up right into a power line. This isn't my pic but it looks the same, both P3P:

img_0033-jpg.32665

I've got another set of cables on the way; am I OK to cut the new cable and solder/heatshrink or is it better to replace the whole cable? I'm having a hard time finding a tutorial - there's a million for the flex cable but not for this, which I believe is the camera cable. How involved would it be to just replace the cable? Would involve opening the shell and removing some stuff inside to get to it I believe...

Many thanks!

am I OK to cut the new cable and solder/heatshrink or is it better to replace the whole cable?

This cable provides 12V power from ESC center board to gimbal. That's its only function.
See here for details:
dji-hardware-schematics/phantom_3_pro_overview.pdf at master · mefistotelis/dji-hardware-schematics · GitHub

You can either fix the connector or replace the cable. You should not cut anything.

Replacing the cable - Opening the cover first time requires some learning - look at youtube videos. Without it, you will likely break some of the plastic holders/latches.

Fixing the cable - from what I see pins were torn out of plastic case, but not damaged. If the plastic case has no damage in the pin slots, you can just bend the part of each pin which locks it into slot, and insert to plastic case again, one by one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Numone and Oso
Yep, no soldering involved, just putting pins back in connector.

Many thanks, guys - turns out my pin connector was damaged (hard to tell at first) - took it to my local shop and they were able to do it all for $75. I was going to give it a shot but of course they had a horror story that if I did it backwards, or if it didn't stay in, I could fry the camera/gimbal because it would lack either positive or negative. Anyway, I figured it was a small price to pay for some piece of mine. Grateful that the damage was so minimal! Many thanks for the replies!

Cable kit for Phantom 3 Pro/Adv drone (all five cables) cost 10 USD.

Pay 75 USD to fix cable which cost 2 USD new (and 10 USD for whole kit) does not make sense.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik