brexit GPS problems

Reaction score
if we do not get on quickly with sorting out the EU usage of GPS then I don't think we'll be able to fly using gps, what do others think?

if we do not get on quickly with sorting out the EU usage of GPS then I don't think we'll be able to fly using gps, what do others think?
The issue is with the developing Galileo GPS system as far as I understand. GLONASS and the US GPS system will still work as normal, correct?

Reactions: JoBe
The issue is with the developing Galileo GPS system as far as I understand. GLONASS and the US GPS system will still work as normal, correct?

I hope your right, this brexit thing is a mess up right from the start, not completely thought through:confused:

I hope your right, this brexit thing is a mess up right from the start, not completely thought through:confused:

As oso eluded to GPS & GLONASS will still work just fine.

Galileo was deigned to be inter operable with GPS as there is some channel overlap.

So unless their is a need for the DJI GPS engine to be updated, such as firmware, etc. you're good forever but just won't get the benefits of G-leo.

It's not a brexit issue but one of DJI hardware/software being able to make use of it.

As oso eluded to will still work just fine.

Galileo was deigned to be inter operable with GPS as there is some channel overlap.

So unless their is a need for the DJI GPS engine to be updated, such as firmware, etc. you're good forever but just won't get the benefits of G-leo.

It's not a brexit issue but one of DJI hardware/software being able to make use of it.

at the moment the EU are saying the UK will not have access to the EU gps but if you say GPS & GLONASS works in the UK then no problem

at the moment the EU are saying the UK will not have access to the EU gps but if you say GPS & GLONASS works in the UK then no problem

OK, after reading a bit more it seems there is some move to lock the UK out of the PRS which at first blush appears to be a more robust encryption (and accuracy???) and maybe some access to future contracts.

But either way if you're happy now you'll continue to be regardless of EU spats.

OK .... GPS is actually one of my 'fields' as it is part of my original career training ...

GPS (The USA system) :

This is a dual system with only one available for Commercial / Hobby use free of charge. This is unencrypted and is good for about 3m accuracy. Yes I know some will claim better - but I am talking about over a period plot. It was originally sponsored funding via the USAF, but later funding mechanism changed and the SATs fell behind in replacement - giving rise to up to 2 or 3 SAT's switched off at any one time. This situation has slowly corrected itself and soon system will be back up to designated number of SAT's (I know some will argue about this - but my work involves Military as well .....). Original GPS was deliberately downgraded in accuracy - in the belief this would reduce its use as a terrorist item ... mistaken idea because GPS Rx manufacturers and various agencies produced land correction stations to correct the SA (selective availability) to give more consistent accurate results. Presidential Decree ended the use of SA and Differential GPS is now totally unnecessary. Any standard GPS unit has good results.
The second is for Military and is encrypted and you need Military Authorisation and programmed gear to receive it. This has a greater accuracy and can time plot to less than 1m.

GLONASS (The Russian System) :

As you would expect - Russia would never rely on USA GPS and created its own SATNAV array - but it is more selective and designed not so much for commercial / hobby use but for Military / Agency use and can be redesignated at any time when Russia is in a conflict zone. During Chechen Conflict - GLONASS was reduced coverage generally and focused on Chechen zone.
GLONASS for us in Hobby is a good addition - but it does not actually increase number of SATS used together for computation as some believe. What it does is increase the number that the required number of SATS can be selected from. SATNAV units discard many of the SATS as erroneous or just too many.

GALILEO (European System) :

This is a system that closely resembles the USA GPS system in that it will have dual system ... one for general public and other for EU Military use. But that is where the problem arises. Because GALILEO over-ran budgets, failed to meet original and later targets for operations - the project got bogged down and eventually the French took it over to try and solve the disputes and delays. In fact what happened made it all worse, the delays lengthened, costs out of control, still not operational. They claim that 2020 will be full operation - but this is disputed by various Company's involved in it.
In theory - GALILEO should not need to be programmed into a GPS unit, as needed with GLONASS. If it can read USA GPS ... GALILEO is reported to be read as well.

Now onto OP post and :

Quote > if we do not get on quickly with sorting out the EU usage of GPS then I don't think we'll be able to fly using gps, what do others think?

Brexit makes absolutely no difference to our use of DJI gear.

What BREXIT has done is called into question the accessibility of GALILEO system to UK services and Military. Principally the EU body has suggested that UK will not automatically be granted access to the encrypted service which is destined for Miltary use. This is a silly suggestion because in fact a large part of the development and design of GALILEO is in fact conducted in UK. So much so in fact - that the UK part of GALILEO says - if it happens - they could install own UK version of GALILEO far cheaper because the techno and knowledge is mainly in UK.

The second part of course is that EU part of the GALILEO consortium agreed to USA pressure to link shutdown of GALILEO to USA GPS in time of conflict or USA request.

Anyway ... the answer - is ignore the whole kitting caboodle ...... Brexit has nothing at all to do with our use of gear in UK / EU or anywhere else ...

As to Brexit : ''I hope your right, this brexit thing is a mess up right from the start, not completely thought through''

I will only say this as its not really place for this item ............. if the b*****y politicians would stop and think ... starting working together to create a coherent plan whether Brexit is good or not - then maybe the shambles could be sorted. EU are laughing their heads off at the bickering school playground antics going on. Brexit is voted and done ... British public had majority no matter how slim - that's it.
The bigger question for UK now is in fact relationship with USA .... Trump dumping the IRAN deal puts relations on wrong foot at a time when UK needs best result !

Nigel

Reactions: AuldGimpy and JoBe
OK .... GPS is actually one of my 'fields' as it is part of my original career training ...

GPS (The USA system) :

This is a dual system with only one available for Commercial / Hobby use free of charge. This is unencrypted and is good for about 3m accuracy. Yes I know some will claim better - but I am talking about over a period plot. It was originally sponsored funding via the USAF, but later funding mechanism changed and the SATs fell behind in replacement - giving rise to up to 2 or 3 SAT's switched off at any one time. This situation has slowly corrected itself and soon system will be back up to designated number of SAT's (I know some will argue about this - but my work involves Military as well .....). Original GPS was deliberately downgraded in accuracy - in the belief this would reduce its use as a terrorist item ... mistaken idea because GPS Rx manufacturers and various agencies produced land correction stations to correct the SA (selective availability) to give more consistent accurate results. Presidential Decree ended the use of SA and Differential GPS is now totally unnecessary. Any standard GPS unit has good results.
The second is for Military and is encrypted and you need Military Authorisation and programmed gear to receive it. This has a greater accuracy and can time plot to less than 1m.

GLONASS (The Russian System) :

As you would expect - Russia would never rely on USA GPS and created its own SATNAV array - but it is more selective and designed not so much for commercial / hobby use but for Military / Agency use and can be redesignated at any time when Russia is in a conflict zone. During Chechen Conflict - GLONASS was reduced coverage generally and focused on Chechen zone.
GLONASS for us in Hobby is a good addition - but it does not actually increase number of SATS used together for computation as some believe. What it does is increase the number that the required number of SATS can be selected from. SATNAV units discard many of the SATS as erroneous or just too many.

GALILEO (European System) :

This is a system that closely resembles the USA GPS system in that it will have dual system ... one for general public and other for EU Military use. But that is where the problem arises. Because GALILEO over-ran budgets, failed to meet original and later targets for operations - the project got bogged down and eventually the French took it over to try and solve the disputes and delays. In fact what happened made it all worse, the delays lengthened, costs out of control, still not operational. They claim that 2020 will be full operation - but this is disputed by various Company's involved in it.
In theory - GALILEO should not need to be programmed into a GPS unit, as needed with GLONASS. If it can read USA GPS ... GALILEO is reported to be read as well.

Now onto OP post and :

Quote > if we do not get on quickly with sorting out the EU usage of GPS then I don't think we'll be able to fly using gps, what do others think?

Brexit makes absolutely no difference to our use of DJI gear.

What BREXIT has done is called into question the accessibility of GALILEO system to UK services and Military. Principally the EU body has suggested that UK will not automatically be granted access to the encrypted service which is destined for Miltary use. This is a silly suggestion because in fact a large part of the development and design of GALILEO is in fact conducted in UK. So much so in fact - that the UK part of GALILEO says - if it happens - they could install own UK version of GALILEO far cheaper because the techno and knowledge is mainly in UK.

The second part of course is that EU part of the GALILEO consortium agreed to USA pressure to link shutdown of GALILEO to USA GPS in time of conflict or USA request.

Anyway ... the answer - is ignore the whole kitting caboodle ...... Brexit has nothing at all to do with our use of gear in UK / EU or anywhere else ...

As to Brexit : ''I hope your right, this brexit thing is a mess up right from the start, not completely thought through''

I will only say this as its not really place for this item ............. if the b*****y politicians would stop and think ... starting working together to create a coherent plan whether Brexit is good or not - then maybe the shambles could be sorted. EU are laughing their heads off at the bickering school playground antics going on. Brexit is voted and done ... British public had majority no matter how slim - that's it.
The bigger question for UK now is in fact relationship with USA .... Trump dumping the IRAN deal puts relations on wrong foot at a time when UK needs best result !

Nigel

many thanks Nigel for your great explanation of the whole situation, good to find somebody that does know what they're talking about

so bottom line no need to worry about loosing GPS for us brits still back at home ;) even though I spend 6 months in Spain every year:cool:
thanks, ray

In my work I get to work with all systems ... US, Russian, Indian, Chinese and guess which one is never available ? You guessed it - Galileo.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl