Bought second hand P3A -flies beautifully ,but can't update latest firmware.

Reaction score
Dear all ,

Bought excellent condition P3A ,firmware is from June 2016 and need /want to get to the last version in July 2017.Controller is the same ,not updated. I have downloaded the zip bin file appropriately and put in the P3A , makes only the initial sounds and always green light. I must say that the controller I know can be updated via the Go App but since all youtubes say to update the phantom first , that's what I 'll do and not do the controller first (at least I can still fly it at this stage) .I am afraid of doing the controller and not the phantom and then it will become unbound.
I wonder why I couldn't update the phantom ? I was thinking perhaps the previous owner botched it up whilst updating to some version in the past ? Otherwise can someone help,please !
BTW ,I am only using a formatted SD card which is new .I am not using the microusb cable .

Thanks

Allen

Bought second hand P3A -flies beautifully
If it works, don't try to fix it.

Agree!
I'm not sure which FW is from June 2016, but I'd assume it's close to V01.09.0060. That version is already too new if you ask me.
Yes, strange to give the date but not the version number. I checked the release notes and you are correct it was v1.9.6

Welcome to the forum @Bigallen88

If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!

Just wondering , as both the RC and AC aren't up to date and it's a given that I don't know how to get the AC updated to latest firmware, would it be okay if I just did the RC via the Go App ? if so, would I have compatbility issues of updated RC vs non updated AC ?
Reason why I'm pedantic about upgrading is that don't want to keep seeing red exclamation mark on status in the Go App.So it seems more like a psychological need to upgrade than a practical one....

Updating DJI Go is not a problem. But I would leave the firmware on both the AC and RC alone. Unless you have a problem, You can ignore the reminder.

Reactions: JoBe and Phill2
Thanks for the replies. Although I understand the concept of if it ain't broke ,don't fix it , but I'm just wondering why I couldn't upgrade with a properly formatted SD card and downloading correctly . What is preventing it to work?

Thanks for the replies. Although I understand the concept of if it ain't broke ,don't fix it , but I'm just wondering why I couldn't upgrade with a properly formatted SD card and downloading correctly . What is preventing it to work?
It seems that firmware updates toward the end of a DJI drones life, get worse rather than better. Updating often causes more problems than it solves. If they even work. I don't understand it either. Just leave it alone and have fun.

Reactions: JoBe and Phill2
Thanks Captain . But I'm not sure if I'm correct, by it seems that it does not register how many additional times I've charged the battery , despite charging it 4-5 times already since in my possession . Would it be okay to download the P3P latest firmware update , since it's the same version ?

Thanks Captain . But I'm not sure if I'm correct, by it seems that it does not register how many additional times I've charged the battery , despite charging it 4-5 times already since in my possession . Would it be okay to download the P3P latest firmware update , since it's the same version ?
That one I don't know. Maybe somebody else will.

Thanks Captain . But I'm not sure if I'm correct, by it seems that it does not register how many additional times I've charged the battery , despite charging it 4-5 times already since in my possession .
Here's a bullet from that list of tips I gave you on Tuesday:

> The battery cycle counter in the GO app does not increment by one every time the battery is charged, but counts every time 100% of a charge has been applied. The example often given on the forum is that if you charge a battery twice from 50% to 100%, the counter would then increment by one.

Does that sound like what you may be seeing?

Would it be okay to download the P3P latest firmware update , since it's the same version ?
The latest AC FW is v1.11.20, though v1.11.30 is also out in the wild for folks who suddenly see ESC errors after installing v1.11.20. You stated earlier that you have the June 2016 version which we noted is v1.9.6. Given that, what do you mean when you say here "since it's the same version?" If you are asking if you can install P3P FW on your P3A, then the answer is no. The update process will not start. You can read more on that by clicking here.

Are you unzipping the file? Are you following closely the updating instructions in the list of tips I gave you on Tuesday? I feel as if you will continue to try to update no matter the warnings here and that is of course your choice. When you do, please follow the instructions in the list of tips I gave you and also follow the link in that list to understand all of the changes implemented with v1.11.20. Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I believe there were two updates after the version I have installed. However the update on the website is the final one .So do I have to download the second last one first ? If so ,where can I obtain that version now ?

I believe there were two updates after the version I have installed. However the update on the website is the final one .So do I have to download the second last one first ? If so ,where can I obtain that version now ?
Correct. There were two after the one we have guessed that you have.

No, you don’t need to do the next one if your ultimate goal is to get to the latest. That is if we guessed correctly which version you have based on only the date you gave. You verifying the specific version number by checking in the app is normal. If it’s much older than our guess, the update process could be different.

In the list of tips I gave you on Tuesday, there is a link to each of the various FW versions directly from DJI.

Last edited:
OSO, Thanks for the link to your tips for new P3A, P3P owners. Very helpful for us old guys too!
Well done. That's an "attaboy" :)

Reactions: Oso
OSO, Thanks for the link to your tips for new P3A, P3P owners. Very helpful for us old guys too!
Well done. That's an "attaboy" :)
Be very careful updating the firmware. I updated my P3A and it did something to my controller and I ended up having to buy another controller. I installed version 1.11.20. Mine worked fine before I did the update. Then could not get video feed.

Very important to have a fan pointed at the gimbal while updating a P3P and P3A. The gimbal board gets too warm and messes up the chip needed for live video feed.

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic