Blurry video but clear photos, why???

Reaction score
What would cause my video to be poorly focused while my photos are clear and crisp? My SD card is rated for the highest 4k video (definitely overkill for the P3S) so I don’t know what it could be.

@fmscott2
Is this a new problem?

Rod

@fmscott2
Is this a new problem?

Rod

No. As you have discovered, I’ve been trying to narrow down why my footage is blurry by exploring different variables. I still don’t have a resolution to my issue. The only thing that has helped a little bit is upping the sharpness to +3 in the app settings and adjusting the focus of the lens by breaking the glue and turning the lens.

Maybe you should post a clip?

Rod

No. As you have discovered, I’ve been trying to narrow down why my footage is blurry by exploring different variables. I still don’t have a resolution to my issue. The only thing that has helped a little bit is upping the sharpness to +3 in the app settings and adjusting the focus of the lens by breaking the glue and turning the lens.
Since the lens is fixed-focus, if it produces clear, well focused still images, any problem with video must be caused by something else and not the lens.

Reactions: RodPad
Since the lens is fixed-focus, if it produces clear, well focused still images, any problem with video must be caused by something else and not the lens.

That’s a good point. Perhaps my use of ND filters is making matters worse by slowing down the shutter speed causing motion blur.

Ok so here's a short movie I made without using any ND filters. Some areas of the shots are crisp, others are soft and seem out of focus.

barefootbeachcombing asked your settings and another thing is your post processing. Seems to have alot of artifacts in dark and green areas.
Many of the light coloured area appear sharper. For the fast camera motions(turns) and the low altitude scenes the vegatation is really moving fast.
Post your camera settings and post your post processing if any that may shed some light on your ongoing problem

Manual mode, 1080p, ISO 100, adjust shutter speed so that I’m close to zero on exposure meter. Typically using an ND16 filter. Post process in iMovie and export in 1080p.

Manual mode, 1080p, ISO 100, adjust shutter speed so that I’m close to zero on exposure meter. Typically using an ND16 filter. Post process in iMovie and export in 1080p.
Ok but your not specifying color balance setting or shutter speed ... is it around 1/240th ? (2 times frame rate)
I'm guessing your closer to 1/80 th.
You don't want to adjust shutter speed to match a ND filter.
You want to adjust the ND filter to achieve a target shutter speed.
Target for 120FPS should be about 1/240th
target for 24FPS should be about 1/48th
By setting it this way for video it allow very slight motion blur between frames for normal slow moving subjects or slow camera movements.
For fast motion increase the shutter speed slightly eg . 24FPS set to 1/60th or 1/80th
120FPS set to something like 1/320
This will sharpen the image a bit.
Experiment to suit your subject and/or camera motion speed.

Also for post you didn't specify codec, frame rate, bit rate or any filtering, color balancing etc.
These may also affect the perceived sharpness.

Somewhat experienced with UAS. Recently bought a P3S and installed the argtek signal booster. Getting around a mile range and happy with it. I only now discover the real advantages of this drone is it's video performance. I took some advise and bought some ND and CPL filters, messing around with them I am getting better image quality. I will admit I am not very knowledgeable regarding how to make use of the many settings and camera capabilities. Looking for advice to improve the quality of my videos as I have never owned a quadcopter with such technology. What advice have anyone with more experience? I'm interested to learn more about better utilizing my phantom's image capabilities.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj