Blue Angels over Detroit - Drone Video

Reaction score
So this video has been making the rounds of my aviation enthusiast friends on Facebook. At first glance, it would seem to be breaking every rule in the book, and to be reckless endangerment. Looking closer, I wonder what the FAA would get him on here. It looks to be over downtown Detroit, which under 700' is Class G airspace. A Class E layer exists at 700', but as I understand it drones can fly in Class E without authorization as long it's not surface extensions abutting airports. He looks high, but Detroit has a building as tall at 727' plus numerous other tall buildings, which would mean he could legally fly as high as 1127' AGL if within 400' of that building. Numerous people have forwarded this to "the authorities," based on comments I see. What would they get the pilot on here? I do not believe the Blue Angels have been issuing TFRs for these flyover events. I don't see evidence of flying over people and VLOS violation would be tough to prove.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

• Angry
Reactions: Capt KO
And please understand that although this video is on my Youtube page, I did not film it. I simply downloaded it from his Facebook page and posted it to my YT page and sent the link to my FAA contacts. I posted the link in one small FB group as well, and it exploded.

I did not expect this. But I'm happy this guy is getting in trouble of it.

It is by far the most egregious drone flight I've ever seen.

But again, NOT MY VIDEO!

The guy who posted (not Moss Photography) is an absolute fool. In addition to the restricted airspace, the FAA would have issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) on top of that. They could probably ID him with some help from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Last edited:
Ok I mistook it was you in Mavic thread and corrected myself.
There is footage from the top of a building in that if this is what I think it is.
B1EA2DE4-DB8C-4EDB-8B3F-AEFF70BE82AD.png And the guys name is in Moss’s description
LarBaer.

Reactions: Randy57
The guy who posted is an absolute fool. In addition to the restricted airspace, the FAA would have issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) on top of that. They could probably ID the guy with some help from YouTube.
They know who he is. He even has his name shown on the title page at the start of the video. He reportedly lives in Detroit and has published questionable drone photos and videos before.

Reactions: Jim Canada
On the opening screen his name appears as @ G O Lucia, Looked earlier and there was one other video that he posted of a night flight that looked like Detroit. Suddenly it's gone. Go figure.

I found several other websites talking about this. He's apparently a rouge and is proud of it though since has tried to go underground and laying low. It may take a few more days, but I think the FAA is going to find him.

They know who he is. He even has his name shown on the title page at the start of the video. He reportedly lives in Detroit and has published questionable drone photos and videos before.
I saw that. Could be a screen name. They need to get the platforms involved including the URL to the uploading computer.

The guy who posted (not Moss Photography) is an absolute fool. In addition to the restricted airspace, the FAA would have issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) on top of that. They could probably ID him with some help from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
Oddly enough I haven't seen any looking on their website...

1589508314032.png

This does not of course excuse this type of behavior as anyone with common sense and a shred of decency can see its wrong but was this an administrative error? Could he get off on a technicality ?

Either way. He was not giving way to manned aircraft.. thats was way to close. It wasnt an emergency situation where they came out of nowhere. He was blatantly sotting there waiting amd knew they were there. So indeed i believe its reckless flying for sure. Also, couldn't they at least get em on copyright infringement on the song?? I imagine either way the pilot is going to get some kind of violation.. if they find him. Pretty big cajones all I can say.. also how in the world did his drone not come tumbling out of the sky after those jets passed him and the jetstreams caught his 4 pound drone??

So this video has been making the rounds of my aviation enthusiast friends on Facebook. At first glance, it would seem to be breaking every rule in the book, and to be reckless endangerment. Looking closer, I wonder what the FAA would get him on here. It looks to be over downtown Detroit, which under 700' is Class G airspace. A Class E layer exists at 700', but as I understand it drones can fly in Class E without authorization as long it's not surface extensions abutting airports. He looks high, but Detroit has a building as tall at 727' plus numerous other tall buildings, which would mean he could legally fly as high as 1127' AGL if within 400' of that building. Numerous people have forwarded this to "the authorities," based on comments I see. What would they get the pilot on here? I do not believe the Blue Angels have been issuing TFRs for these flyover events. I don't see evidence of flying over people and VLOS violation would be tough to prove.

This guy needs to be nailed to the wall...jail wall... No wonder we have so many regulations from the FAA when idiots like this get that close to planes.
As for "what would they get him on"?, does he have permission to fly in that area: Over those buildings? Probably not.
He is WAY too close to the Blue Angels; a definite hazard.
I look forward to hearing about his capture. Hope someone posts it here.

I can't believe what I just watched.

Just had a flyover my house from MacDill Air Force Base (KC-135 Stratotankers). Had my drone in the air at 150 ft while they passed over at a thousand. Wasn't expecting directly overhead so I could not get it on the video camera of my P4. Dang it. Fun and safe unlike that video. Stupid stupid stupid
Screenshot_2020-05-15-12-11-50.png

There were no TFRs when they flew over NYC. We knew they were coming and took a break in our sUAS operations to watch them...They probably will not be a TFR or NOTAM in place

Looks fake to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.