Black props for visibility

Reaction score
Has anyone used the black carbon fiber props on their phantom? I am wondering if the would make the drone more easily visible vs the white props on a white drone.

Thanks!

Has anyone used the black carbon fiber props on their phantom?
It would be better to simply dye the OEM props. The carbon fiber props are no where near as good and can become brittle.

Reactions: Cbourbeau32
Thanks, does it help with visibility?
If you are really looking for visibility purposes, strobes would be better. The dye may help some, but strobes are visible even in bright daylight ( In my case around 2500 ft out or so ) at night for quite a bit farther. See this link:

Cree Strobes

Has anyone used the black carbon fiber props on their phantom? I am wondering if the would make the drone more easily visible vs the white props on a white drone.

Thanks!
Yip I have them and have used them not solid carbon like p3 ones but mine have good bit of flex and worked great
15506885469191060358961.jpg

It would be better to simply dye the OEM props. The carbon fiber props are no where near as good and can become brittle.
I had OEM carbon fiber blades on my P3se the first time I flew over water which happen to be a huge lake one of the blades snapped and I watched my AC go to the Davy Jones locker. ☹️

I had OEM carbon fiber blades on my P3se
There is no such thing as OEM carbon fiber props. DJI does not use them. But I do see your point. If you indeed used CF props. But as said, I see your point. That is why I mentioned the stiffness of the 3rd party props which is the only way you can get CF props.

Reactions: LARA images
Hey “Fly Dawg”. I’m not trying to start no trouble, but the props pictured are “Carbon Fibre Reinforced” noted on the package, purchased & delivered from DJI (oem)
Granted they’re not completely carbon fibre, but CF reinforced. Like you most likely, I too have read the numerous posts regarding the use of “aftermarket” props & I too wouldn’t advise the use of a non DJI prop.
Never had a problem with these or the set of XOAR Beechwood props I own.

A prop that strikes the turf,gravel, cement, or tree branch whether on a nitro powered or electric aircraft will fail.
Don’t understand the failure over water neither, (OP) was the aircraft recovered from Davey Jones locker & failure attributed to a “snapped blade”?

I’ve also read the ill effects of getting fingers in the way of these CF blades producing more severe injury, don’t know who’s doing the research on that unless it would be the local emergency room counting stitch’s. CF vs plastic, most of us know to keep our hands & fingers away from spinning props, revolving blades, pulleys & belts etc..

& you DARN well better keep your wits about you if you ride a motorcycle nowadays too.'

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:

Thanks!
I put a set of props from an obsidian on my p4p. Looks cool but does nothing for visibility.

Reactions: LARA images
While I have never used black props, it would seem to make them less visible.

Reactions: Cavepig7

Thanks!
most important thing to know is that carbon blades are not forgiving when they hit your hands they are ruthless and no they really don't increase your visibility you're better off attaching a strobe used for night flights or those valve stem lights that attach to your car tires that light up when spinning (I think i'll try it for fun), they cost a bit more are slightly quieter and slightly more efficient. I suppose they're more aesthetic than any thing

Thanks, does it help with visibility?
When I got my P3S, I played with my older P2V+ by dyeing the props different colors, painting the body different colors, etc. to improve LOS visibility. In the end, nothing really made a significant difference. You can only see different colors on the props when the AC is within 100 ft. or so. Black and florescent orange body worked the best, but extended the visible range only about 200 feet. No matter what you do, you'll loose LOS 800-1200 ft. depending on sky conditions. As other have said, the only real thing that works for longer LOS is using strobes. I have them on my P3S on the battery side legs (away from the camera). Even the strobes get lost around 2000-2500 feet distance, though much farther a bit after sundown.

most important thing to know is that carbon blades are not forgiving when they hit your hands they are ruthless and no they really don't increase your visibility you're better off attaching a strobe used for night flights or those valve stem lights that attach to your car tires that light up when spinning (I think i'll try it for fun), they cost a bit more are slightly quieter and slightly more efficient. I suppose they're more aesthetic than any thing

Hey ivan urias.. I have a couple questions.. What research have you discovered on the carbon blades being "ruthless when hitting your hands"? Emergency room statistics? or DJI pilot forum posts? or ?

How do I mount "tire valve stem lights to my P3P? & how are they activated/lighted when mounted.?

Please explain what you mean by being "slightly quieter" & "cost a bit more" & slightly more efficient. ?

Thank you.. It's not you.. It's me, gotta have everything explained..

Reactions: Phantom2USA
Well, I don't need to see that. Fully aware of the hazards of spinning propellers.
You've a huge responsibility when holding that RC.

Pure & simple negligence, like a gun hater, it ain't the gun, but the idiot holding it..

Last edited:
The props spin and effectively disappear, black or white. Because any coloured drone becomes a silhouette against most skys, the best approach is to make the unit physically bigger. Luckily DJI gives us a way to do this...prop guards. They don’t make a huge difference on the Phantom but every little helps. On an Inspire they make it look much more imposing in the air.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20