Birds!!!!!!

Reaction score
I was flying my Phantom 4 Pro yesterday when two Purple Martins started attacking it. They were swarming and circling it and kept getting closer. I proceeded to fly it back to me as fast as it would go and they continued after it. I took it down to the deck as quickly as I could and landed without further issues. Do they hate drones????

I was flying my Phantom 4 Pro yesterday when two Purple Martins started attacking it. They were swarming and circling it and kept getting closer. I proceeded to fly it back to me as fast as it would go and they continued after it. I took it down to the deck as quickly as I could and landed without further issues. Do they hate drones????
My guess would be is they felt you were a little too close to their nest.

I have two purple martin houses. They perceive small radio control aircraft as enemies. Small hawks, like red tail hawks have attacked my purple martin houses and have flown off with baby martins. They are natural enemies. Your martins are just being protective and training the young birds.

I've had a run-in with a flock of birds attacking as I flew down a river. I'm sure I must have been in the vicinity of their nesting area along the bank. I have since added large hawk-eye decals to the shell top as a bird deterrent. I have read (and witnessed) that birds do not like attacking anything that is looking at them -- which is why they usually try to chase off predators such as a cat from above and behind. Time will only tell how well it works. Got the decals idea after seeing this product.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 439
Seagulls not like either,bit scary on p3s but p4 just leaves them in the dust ,we got native falcons and hawks here they do the dive bomb,one day feathers will fly and drone will drop but do best to avoid them now

I mounted a rear facing go-pro to capture the expression on their faces as they chase me. But boy,, there is this big MoFo that lives right above my house. Here is a picture of him just having missed my P4Pro

Attachments

• hawk-02.PNG
    hawk-02.PNG
    98.4 KB · Views: 465
Drones two worst enemies, birds (especially birds of prey) and the wind..............

I've often wondered about this very thing. I live out in the wilderness and we have many vultures and hawks flying around taking up lunch at nearby roadkill stands :). How much damage can one of these birds do to a Phantom 4 and when I get one should I (can I) get insurance on it?

Usually you'll be less than 200'AGL when you encounter angry birds. When you sense danger from birds, immediately ASCEND straight up full throttle to 400', then come home. Birds can't compete with that ability, you'll immediately lose their interest because it's too much work to attack and ascending craft.

Reactions: Shammyh
I often see Turkey vultures circling close to my drone. They are not attacking it, but must be curious. They are very large birds. Glad they aren't aggressive in the air.

Usually you'll be less than 200'AGL when you encounter angry birds. When you sense danger from birds, immediately ASCEND straight up full throttle to 400', then come home. Birds can't compete with that ability, you'll immediately lose their interest because it's too much work to attack and ascending craft.

Best advice.

Some birds can actually outgun a P3P/P4P in horizontal movement or will at least attempt to... but going straight upward against gravity is not something any bird can do well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik