Bird/bat strike

Haha! Good one CCDD. Seriously though, how are your neighbors? ;) In thinking about this, a projectile would certainly explain it. I still think some other oddball set of events is more likely... BUT... what if someone took a pellet rifle or a .22 to it? Pellet rifle would be relatively silent and the projectile could have come up from underneath, struck the left rear gimbal mount arm, broke it, and stray lead could have pierced the prop from there (explaining why the trailing edge of the prop took damage). Just sayin'. Try to get that video! And the flight log!

Mike

As curious as we all are and whether we find out or not what damaged this Phanton, this will likely continue to hold the award for the all time most damaged Phantom to return and safely land.

Reactions: m151dave
Chances of shooting with a rifle look high. That explains chipping off prop at trailing edge. Bullet may not be able to create just a hole as its hitting a floating body and may not have enough punch.

Wounded P3 returns home safely, amazing.

Can we say P3 is safe for battle field? :)

Man, if the video is recovered, think of the YouTube possibilities! "Phantom 3 shot, camera hanging, broken prop, and still returns home!"

I predict 2m hits. ;)

Mike

For me in this period is difficult to fly over the sea, I'm continuously attacked by seagulls. I hate those birds... first comes one that begin to scream then in few seconds becomes many that fly aggressive close to the phantom and makes me land.

I get some serious buzzing going one with swifts, seagulls would make me run for sure as they are viscous.

If you do attempt to recover the video clip, remember that if you put it into the camera and turn the aircraft on (if that's even possible) that the finalizing of the clip will lose the last 15 seconds - there will be all sorts of theories flying around about the battery quitting, or loss of power and so on...

Reactions: Reed L
If you do attempt to recover the video clip, remember that if you put it into the camera and turn the aircraft on (if that's even possible) that the finalizing of the clip will lose the last 15 seconds - there will be all sorts of theories flying around about the battery quitting, or loss of power and so on...

Really, never heard that.

If its done with software app does that stop that happening ?

It's a double edge sword, the recovery tools. Either way, you probably get one chance. With either approach, once you do something to recover it, you'll either get a usable file... or it might corrupt it further so it's not recoverable at all. Someone with more experience in recovery tools should chime in. I wonder if there's any software that would let you do a sector copy of the flash card to make a backup before you fool with recovery?

Mike

Thanks for the interest and suggestions, guys. I will see what I can do about repairing the video file using a third party program as suggested above. I am absolutely dying to know what it was. The one thing I am certain of is that it was not a stationary object that the bird hit. Altitude was set a good 75' higher than the tallest tree in the area.

Might be a day or two until I can post any findings, though. I'm having some health issues (diverticulitis) and will be at the hospital today getting checked out. But I will definitely share anything I am able to find, just as soon as I am able.

Mike

It's a double edge sword, the recovery tools. Either way, you probably get one chance. With either approach, once you do something to recover it, you'll either get a usable file... or it might corrupt it further so it's not recoverable at all. Someone with more experience in recovery tools should chime in. I wonder if there's any software that would let you do a sector copy of the flash card to make a backup before you fool with recovery?

Mike
I have done recovery on PC hard drives and this tool has recently worked for me. Will work on USB thumbdrives and SD cards as well. It will get you a duplicate of your media to play with while keeping the original intact.
HDDGURU: HDD Raw Copy Tool

Just found this on a recovery software:-

1. The repaired video is missing the 'crash' at the very end. I want to see this. Can you recover this?
    Unfortunately not. The "dijfix" software recovers all of the video that it finds in a file. However, the last few seconds of video might not have been written to the file - especially if the power to the camera was disconnected suddenly (e.g. during a crash). Apparently the camera+encoder buffers the last few seconds of video in volatile RAM before writing it to the (non-volatile) Flash storage.)
source is

Repairing Corrupt DJI Phantom or Inspire Video Files

there have to be away to protect these cameras

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Attachments

• Camera-Cage-Prism3-small.jpg
    Camera-Cage-Prism3-small.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 444
Maybe it hit another drone... possibly a P4 that was out of range. [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I have done recovery on PC hard drives and this tool has recently worked for me. Will work on USB thumbdrives and SD cards as well. It will get you a duplicate of your media to play with while keeping the original intact.
HDDGURU: HDD Raw Copy Tool

Sounds like that may be the ticket!

Mike

Holy moly! I dont have any idea how it made it back like that. Amazing craft for sure.

1. Take the sd from camera, mount with pc and make a copy of the file.
2. Use the repair program robinb told above to that copy, then you can try the in-cam repair when camera is working too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20