Binding a Phantom 3 Standard to TWO Separate Controllers

Reaction score
I would like to inquire from the experts here, whether I can bind my Phantom 3 Standard to BOTH of the controllers I now possess. The reason I ask, is because I ordered a separate controller that I intend to modify with the ArgTek range extender antennae, but since I do not entirely trust my skill when it comes to the tricky aspect of slicing off the factory hot-glue used to hold the three antenna connections inside the controller, I decided to acquire a second controller on which to perform the ArgTek modification, whereby if I bungled the painstaking operation, I would still have the original stock controller to fall back on in that worst case scenario.

The instruction pamphlet states that new Phantom 3 Standard drones are factory linked to the controller shipped with each quad-copter, which I found to be the case. When I switched on the new backup controller that I bought to modify, so as to verify that it functioned in its stock form before I went to swap in the ArgTek antennae modification, I saw that it would not bind with the Phantom 3S, even after a long wait. I chose not to go through with the binding process that calls for using a pointed object to press a tiny recessed button on the drone, because I was unsure as to whether I might wind up unable to bind either controller to the drone.

So, going out on a limb, I verified that my newly acquired controller lights up as expected when switched on, and then chose to presume on that basis that it will work when I do go ahead and bind it to the drone. Before I embark on the ArgTek antennae swap surgery on this spare controller, I thought there would be no harm in asking from the experts here whether the Phantom 3S will be capable of binding to BOTH controllers, or if the binding process for the Phantom 3S only allows for recognition of ONE controller, to the exclusion of any others, such that I would need to re-bind the drone any time I alternate between each of the two controllers that I have here.

Any opinions regarding whether or not the Phantom 3S controller binding process is a mutually exclusive procedure that only allows for one controller to be recognized, would be appreciated. In the meantime I will break out the surgeons scalpel, and proceed with the delicate process of excising that notoriously tenacious hot-glue that cements the factory antennae to their three connectors inside my spare controller, knowing that I will still have my stock controller to use, if my ArgTek conversion attempt breaks any of those fragile antenna connectors off the circuit board of my "guinea-pig" controller.

whether the Phantom 3S will be capable of binding to BOTH controllers, or if the binding process for the Phantom 3S only allows for recognition of ONE controller, to the exclusion of any others, such that I would need to re-bind the drone any time I alternate between each of the two controllers that I have here.
You can link to one controller and you can link to another controller, but you will have to re-link each time you change controllers.

Reactions: Billie Nelson
Thank you Meta4, for this quick response that confirms by initial supposition about the binding process being only possible for one controller at a time. I will now attempt this tricky modification procedure on the spare controller I bought on ebay, knowing at least that I'll have my original controller as a default option if the conversion goes awry, or if the used controller I purchased happens to be defective.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20